Author Topic: Library of Congress Sanborn maps now online!  (Read 1216 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3596
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Library of Congress Sanborn maps now online!
« on: June 13, 2017, 11:54:17 AM »
A friend of mine just posted on facebook that the LOC will be adding 2000 Sanborn maps per month for a total of 500K+ available over time.

Here is the link he posted to the database:

https://www.loc.gov/collections/sanborn-maps/about-this-collection/

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +361
Re: Library of Congress Sanborn maps now online!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 01:31:54 PM »
Maps from 30-some states ... but nothing in Minnesota, Iowa or Wisconsin, the only three I care about.  :facepalm:

I appreciate the link, though.

Jim

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3596
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 01:33:56 PM »
Maps from 30-some states ... but nothing in Minnesota, Iowa or Wisconsin, the only three I care about.  :facepalm:

I appreciate the link, though.

Jim

@MVW The database is not complete.

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +361
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 01:39:05 PM »
Yeah, and I should have looked closer before bitching. Those states aren't listed on the linked page, but if you go a bit deeper, it looks like they are there.

Facepalm on me.

Jim

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1154
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 02:24:37 PM »
Hopefully they add some from the Twin Cities sooner rather then later... This is an exciting development, especially since these are the full colour maps not the B&W copies some of the subscription companies offer...  :)
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1209
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 02:26:28 PM »
Yeah, and I should have looked closer before bitching. Those states aren't listed on the linked page, but if you go a bit deeper, it looks like they are there.

Facepalm on me.

Jim

Now if you model 1910, you're all set.  ;)

Jason

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 02:28:10 PM »
Hopefully they add some from the Twin Cities sooner rather then later... This is an exciting development, especially since these are the full colour maps not the B&W copies some of the subscription companies offer...  :)

The UofM library has digitized plats from the same era.

https://www.lib.umn.edu/borchert/digitized-plat-maps-and-atlases#H

edit:  and if you haven't seen it, they have a ton of aerials from many eras.

https://www.lib.umn.edu/apps/mhapo/http://

Jason
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 02:40:23 PM by wcfn100 »

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 02:50:56 PM »
The UofM library has digitized plats from the same era.

https://www.lib.umn.edu/borchert/digitized-plat-maps-and-atlases#H

edit:  and if you haven't seen it, they have a ton of aerials from many eras.

https://www.lib.umn.edu/apps/mhapo/http://

Jason

Very familiar  :) the aerials are great, Unfortunately the more useful maps are a little early for what I want to model. Most of what was on Hiawatha Ave was post 1920...

Thanks for the link tho, every time I look at it It seems to eat up time  :)

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 02:55:36 PM »
Unfortunately the more useful maps are a little early for what I want to model. Most of what was on Hiawatha Ave was post 1920...

Most likely, the Sanborn maps will have the same issue.

Jason

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 03:22:42 PM »
Most likely, the Sanborn maps will have the same issue.

Jason

Have a funny feeling you're right...  :| thankfully there are lots of photos to work from...

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 03:43:12 PM »
Have a funny feeling you're right...  :| thankfully there are lots of photos to work from...

I you have something specific in mind, I'd join the Twin Cities Modelers FB page.  I know some of the guys going back to the 80's and they have a ton of info.  I also have some 70's aerial shots that are no longer on RRPA if there's something in particular you're looking for.

For anyone wanting to do real research for any town, I'd suggest contacting the city engineering department.  They may have actual track maps, aerials and detailed, large scale maps.

Jason

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +378
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 03:57:47 PM »
Zoinks, no Oregon (unless you count Oregon, Wisconsin). I need Klamath and Deschutes County around the 50s and 60s. Oregon Historical Society only has Sanborn maps dating in the 1800s and early 1900s.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 05:33:20 PM »
I you have something specific in mind, I'd join the Twin Cities Modelers FB page.  I know some of the guys going back to the 80's and they have a ton of info.  I also have some 70's aerial shots that are no longer on RRPA if there's something in particular you're looking for.

For anyone wanting to do real research for any town, I'd suggest contacting the city engineering department.  They may have actual track maps, aerials and detailed, large scale maps.

Jason

The area I'm interested in is from the Milwaukee Road depot south to 8th st, S Minneapolis yard and the elevators along the original main.
If space was no issue I would love to continue north to Camden place and Humboldt yard but I imagine compression will be an issue trying to represent just the Milwaukee road side of things.

I have pretty much everything the MRHS has published plus Luecke's books, between that and the U of MN aerial photos I have the track layout covered. The info on structures that a good set of insurance maps would provide would be most welcome, however like you said that may be something I need to acquire locally...

My roster lends its self to the post 1956 track layout, but operations were much more interesting prior to the construction of the connection between Cedar and Rand so an earlier era is tempting and that decision is a roadblock... 

I really should start a Layout engineering thread to organize my research and start building a section or two...  :)

Will have to check out the facebook group, only issue is it means I need a new facebook account  :|

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 06:43:41 PM »

Will have to check out the facebook group, only issue is it means I need a new facebook account  :|

I'm not a FB guy but use a dummy account we use to backup the games on our phones.  For the info you want it'd be worth it.

The guys who posted many of the shots of that area onto RRPA, are part of the Twin Cities Modelers group.

I should say FB group did start as a Yahoo group which is still there, but it's no longer the preferred communication channel.  You can try through to avoid FB.

Jason

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 07:00:12 PM »
I'm not a FB guy but use a dummy account we use to backup the games on our phones.  For the info you want it'd be worth it.

The guys who posted many of the shots of that area onto RRPA, are part of the Twin Cities Modelers group.

I should say FB group did start as a Yahoo group which is still there, but it's no longer the preferred communication channel.  You can try through to avoid FB.

Jason

I will have to check it out... Sounds like a gold mine...