Author Topic: Weekend Update 10/27/24  (Read 1021 times)

Jim Costello, flight2000 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

haasmarc

• Crew
  • Respect: +790
Re: Weekend Update 10/27/24
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2024, 08:34:48 PM »
+32
Finished up a long standing project.

More info here: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=58678.0
Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3602
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2024, 09:10:49 PM »
+14
The kids from the apartments nearby have finally visited the recently opened playground at the beach.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9252
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2024, 09:29:45 PM »
+18

Tad_T

• Crew
  • Respect: +94
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2024, 10:01:37 PM »
+11
I got my benchwork assembled.

Tad

The “All Day & Night” Railway Company

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1294
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2024, 10:05:24 PM »
+6
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Earlier this year, we took the Chinese train from Vientiane to Luang Prabang. This is one of the very few "belts" in the belt and road initiative. Most other infrastructure projects are sea based.

The railroad was constructed though national park land and though restricted areas with little regard for the local population. The stations are set about 5-10km away from city centers. Why? Because China set up exclusion zones for a few km around the rail hubs. Only Chinese businesses operate within these areas. They build roads insofar as to help Chinese business. Freight cars were all labeled for China state railways.

The stations are grandiose and don't fit the quiet nature of Laos. The railroad is packed with security. The vast majority are Chinese nationals as they don't seem to trust the Lao. I tried to take a better photo of the engine cab, but security yanked me back. So even on a public platform, with tickets, you can only go as far on the platform as they feel you need to. It was an odd experience.

The train kinda sucked. Seats were hard. No power outlets to charge anything. No wifi. Very little cell reception. Not much in the way of food or beverages.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2024, 10:07:27 PM by daniel_leavitt2000 »
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1415
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2024, 11:49:05 PM »
+14
Finished the Devona-Snake Indian River scenes, getting some polish on the rails this week after a long summer of scenery work.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1431
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 02:32:50 AM »
+3
I wonder if the red bridge is partly to make it more visible to low-flying aircraft. since it seems to be high enough to be vulnerable.

Or if it's entirely a political statement?
N Kalanaga
Be well

CR4100

• Crew
  • Respect: +301
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 09:11:42 AM »
+17
I finished my 34th Conrail H1K Trinity rapid discharge hopper to complete my Dyers Quarry stone train. These cars made it to March, 2024 in full Conrail paint when the reporting marks were changed to DQYX.

The fabric of reality has begun to fray.

Sumner

• Crew
  • Respect: +697
    • My Home Pages....
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 09:58:32 AM »
+15
Got my sawmill interior detail pretty much done this week.  Will still make some minor adjustments to it and then try and get the print files up for download on thingiverse.com ( HERE ).

Here are a few images and more on Railwire ( HERE ).

Sumner
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:42:03 PM by Sumner »
Working in N Scale ---Modeling UP from late 40's to early 70's very loosely......

Under$8.00 Servo turnout Control --- 3D Printed Model RR Objects -- My Home Page

http://1fatgmc.com/RailRoad/RR Main/Link Page Menu.html

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1789
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 11:20:32 AM »
+14
Things have been super busy since Hurricane Helene. We live in Upstate SC and didn’t have power for a week, so no JFRTM that week! Storm aside, it’s a busy time of year for me, so time to pack away the modules. It’s a bummer, but cool to see my storage system work and slowly filling up.

I’m always looking for ways to model other scenes on the WM, but most of the time, they won’t work for my space or FreemoN approach. After John shared his Emory Grove print, I’ve joined the TTrak craze! TTrak is the perfect place to get this scene out of my system. I have to say, putting together the module kit brought back some of that childhood joy of putting kits together. I’ve got some ideas for adding scenery below track level, but that will have to come at a later date.

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3613
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 11:45:15 AM »
+13
I spent the morning working on a set of E7's for my two B&O passenger trains.  These are Life-Like shells mounted on Kato mechanisms.  I added some decals including the stripes on the pilot and the locomotive numbers in the numberboards.  I added unimate couplers between the two units, a MT 1015 on the pilot of the trailing unit, a MT true scale coupler on the pilot of the lead unit, and gave them both a light coat of weathering.  I had to replace a few steps as well; they had broken off before I purchased the locomotives.  I painted the grab irons, anticlimber, and kick plates silver using a silver sharpie.

These are not 100% prototypical; the B&O E7's had only a single headlight as well as larger numberboards on the nose as well as a few other differences.....that said, they look good as stand-ins....

As soon as the Digitrax decoders arrive in the mail and I get them installed, these will be ready for service.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

Albert in N

• Crew
  • Respect: +143
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 12:05:41 PM »
+11
 :)  Finally trashed the old used black cabinet base and installed the 3 new Lowes cabinets that my wife insisted I buy.  Now, all I need to do is install the gray bottom cabinet strip, add a few drawer knobs, add my old trees & lichen, and run trains.  The cabinets were an 80th BD present.  The drawers hold a lot, plus now organized.  This makes it easier to alternate trains, plus find my model RR stuff.  The Kato Unitrack is not fastened down, so I can change track plans, or simply undo it and pull off the Woodland Scenics hills etc. to vacuum the carpet top.  My layout is in an extra bedroom with central heat pump AC and close to both loos.  Works for this old guy!

[/url
[url=https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view&id=44423]

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2232
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 02:24:30 PM »
+9
My redone Alco S2 is done, well, except for weathering, someday.

Link:  http://www.randgust.com/Alco237710.jpg

Rest of the photos in my Alco thread.

lv4142003

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 03:29:04 PM »
Finished up a long standing project.

More info here: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=58678.0
That is outstanding! It's hard to tell that that isn't a larger scale
. Paint, weathering are marker lights are top shelf. Again outstanding. Joe Hueber (lv4142003@yahoo.com)
er