Author Topic: Whats the best track ballast for N scale?  (Read 1072 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +281
Whats the best track ballast for N scale?
« on: July 30, 2024, 10:11:54 PM »
Preferable real rock or at least something that doesn't float in water. If you have sources, please list them.
Also need to find a color close to the reddish-brown rock the NH used.
Last time I used ballast it was Highball stuff from the '70s. Have no idea what's out there now.

Peavine

• Crew
  • Respect: +55
Re: Whats the best track ballast for N scale?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2024, 12:26:53 AM »
Arizona Rock and Mineral. Real Rock crushed down to scale. The Peavine was originally ballasted in cinder, then limestone, then some purplish rock. That’s why I have a three color gradation. I love these products, They are very easy to work with, and have good scale fidelity.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1613
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2024, 01:34:08 AM »
+1
I second Arizona Rock & Minerals.
As any long time N Scaler knows…you buy it when it’s available.
I have a sh!t load of it, suited to my needs.

Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +155
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2024, 05:55:11 PM »
  I just ordered from Arizona rock / minerals . The nice lady said they are crushing a lot of ballast now . So if you need it .......     Mike

Update ...I ordered 6 bags of Cumbres and Toltec ballast on July 31 . Just got notice that it shipped today . Pretty good service I think .     Mike
« Last Edit: August 03, 2024, 11:09:00 AM by Mike C »

ridinshotgun

• Crew
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2024, 06:00:24 PM »
I believe it when I see it that they are crushing a lot.  A fellow modeler just waited 5 months for 2 pounds of n scale ballast.

I waited three months last time I ordered last year right after they supposedly installed new crushing equipment.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1406
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2024, 01:51:51 AM »
I also used AR&M on my layout, for both ballast and scenery rock.

If you use their Basalt (NP) ballast, you might want to test it first.  Mine is very solidly glued, and hasn't given any problems, but it is magnetic.  Definitely a surprise, but it is.  Every piece of mine.
N Kalanaga
Be well

mike_lawyer

• Crew
  • Respect: +163
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2024, 01:08:33 PM »
It's been a number of years, but I really liked the ballast sold by Scenic Express.  It felt like real rock to me and looked great.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1394
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2024, 02:02:40 PM »
+3
I have a huge supply of out-of-business Highball real rock ballast I use on my layout, but they've been out of business for years. But, IMO it was the BEST.

When working on customer's layouts and modules, I've resorted to Arizona Rock & Minerals, which is pretty good (I haven't tested it for being ferrous). 

However, I found that AR&M is very dusty and will look very concrete-like if not relieved of most of its dust before using.  Highball had the same problem.

So, I have a screen that is fine enough to not allow most of the ballast to fall through, but just the dust, which I use to catch the finer particles.  I save this "dust" for making such things as game trails, paths, etc. on the rest of the layout.

If you're detail-oriented, and want your ballast rocks to be the correct size (and not trust what the manufacturer may be saying is "N-scale"), then you'll need to grade your ballast to get rid of oversized rocks, and undersized rocks.  This is a two-screen process, but, IMO, will make your ballast look noticeably more realistic.

But, you say, what size are prototype ballast rocks??  To answer that question for myself, I took a short trip to the U.P. mainline winding up Weber and Echo Canyons with a measuring tape.  I found the largest rocks to be around 2.75" at their largest diameter, some a little larger...but most of them being right at 2.5" in diameter with almost no smaller rocks.  I also took photos of the ballast in daylight with a grey card in the photo so I could get the colors correct.  I also found that there were approximately four colors of stones that comprised U.P.'s "grey" ballast, and that there was a reddish tint to the rails, ties and ballast rocks on stretches that had been in place for a while.  On newly refurbished track, everything was sharply differentiated color-wise, with many places having the reddish tinted older track on one side and newer track on the other (U.P.'s trackage in Weber and Echo Canyons is double-tracked with center sidings).

So, I had some screen that had holes in it that were 0.017"...to filter out any stones larger than a scale 2.75", but I had to order screen that had holes of 0.014" to let smaller rocks and dust through...isolating the correct sized rocks to between 0.017" and 0.015".  I got my screen through "Small Parts" who is no longer in business.

I was a bit surprised at just how much of the Highball Ballast got filtered out as far as big rocks were concerned, and even more surprised at how much dust and smaller rocks got separated.  This proved to me that even though Highball Ballast was marketed as "N-scale" it was only "sort-of N-scale", luckily with most of it being the correct size. I saved both the oversized and undersized rocks for use in making off-track scenery.

I did this all back in the early 1990's, but only a couple of years ago, I found an official U.P. chart that listed what sized ballast was to be used for various types of trackage.

Photo (1) - U.P. Ballast Sieve Analysis or Ballast Rock Sizes:

Photo (2) - U.P. Mainlines at Wilhemina Pass on my old Ntrak modules using graded and weathered Highball Ballast along with Rail Craft Code70 flex:

For customers and friends, I started using AR&M when Highball Ballast became scarce, but I screened it too.

Photo (3) - AR&M Ballast on Nate Goodman's Layout using Atlas Code80 flex:

I did the same for branchline trackage, but used straight "cinders" instead of my 4-color mix for U.P. "Grey" ballast.

Photo (4) - "Cinders" for branchline trackage:

Some modelers prefer larger ballast rock size because it's more "obvious", but for the most realistic, N-scale real rock ballast needs to graded and de-dustified, no matter what the brand.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

btrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +624
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2024, 07:19:41 PM »
I’ll piggyback on AR&M. Using it with a paint edger, it makes ballasting an absolute breeze. My only complaint is that being a small business, there’s sometimes a 2-3 month lag between order and arrival of product.

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +281
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2024, 12:56:56 PM »
Yeah, I noticed that size problem with "N scale" ballast even back in the old days. I think I did sieving back then, too. I thought the first sections I did looked "chunky" so I went that route.
As for sieves, finding very fine mesh ones is a bit tricky. I once worked for a construction materials company and when they had to replace a torn screen on their seive shaker I saved the remnants of the replacements. The screens came in  squares and you cut a circle out of it to fit the round shaker pan.  Excellent high-grade copper mesh, but obviously big bucks for that kind of material.

ridinshotgun

• Crew
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2024, 03:15:53 PM »
I’ll piggyback on AR&M. Using it with a paint edger, it makes ballasting an absolute breeze. My only complaint is that being a small business, there’s sometimes a 2-3 month lag between order and arrival of product.

You know I don't buy that as an excuse to take up to 5 or more months now for them to get orders out.  Any other small business like Scenic Express or Smith and Son (when operational) had my orders out the door within 7 business days, answered the phone when I called and responded to emails if I sent them.  AZRM doesn non of that.  That is just poor business skills.

Yeah, I noticed that size problem with "N scale" ballast even back in the old days. I think I did sieving back then, too. I thought the first sections I did looked "chunky" so I went that route.
As for sieves, finding very fine mesh ones is a bit tricky. I once worked for a construction materials company and when they had to replace a torn screen on their seive shaker I saved the remnants of the replacements. The screens came in  squares and you cut a circle out of it to fit the round shaker pan.  Excellent high-grade copper mesh, but obviously big bucks for that kind of material.

I cruise eBay and find surplus scientific sieves all the time for usually $40 or under.  I have even scored a few for $25 shipped!

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2024, 01:58:21 AM »
I use Woodland Scenics “Gravel”, which is absolutely not their regular ballast product line, which is disliked for being crushed walnut shells that have a tendency to ‘float’ during the moistening/glue application process. “Gravel” is a mineral product and takes to being moistened easily, and the ‘fine’ texture is an accurate size for N scale ballast. The upside is that it should be readily available but the downside is that it’s only available in light grey, dark grey, and buff colours (IIRC). I use light grey and add a light airbrush of appropriate colour if I’m looking for something other than the ‘out-of-the-package’ colour, most usually some Vallejo ‘Panzer Grey’ for darker shades.

Mike C

• Crew
  • Respect: +155
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2024, 06:09:42 PM »
  Update on ballast from A.R,M ...... Order arrived today Yea !       Mike

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2024, 11:28:12 PM »
Anybody know where to get the screens affordably?

The S.