Author Topic: Dear Atlas...................  (Read 3946 times)

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +403
Dear Atlas...................
« on: May 03, 2024, 04:47:36 PM »
+1
Where are my Erie Builts? You have the tooling but after waiting a decade they aren't here, you've done the FAs so where are my Erie Builts.  :D :D

jwaldo

• Crew
  • Respect: +32
Re: Dear Atlas...................
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 05:31:00 PM »
Atlas has been so slow releasing the things they acquired from LL/Walthers it makes me curious. Like what's so horribly, spectacularly wrong with the LL GP20 tooling that it's been six(ish) years since they were announced and there's still no sign of them. Is there a horrible curse on the molds or something?

crrcoal

• Crew
  • Respect: +83
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 06:22:07 PM »
+3
I'd be happy with the sound equipped U23B's......

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1180
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024, 09:22:00 PM »
+2
Atlas has been so slow releasing the things they acquired from LL/Walthers it makes me curious. Like what's so horribly, spectacularly wrong with the LL GP20 tooling that it's been six(ish) years since they were announced and there's still no sign of them. Is there a horrible curse on the molds or something?

A lot according to a little birdie. They've been returned to the factory about 8 times now.
-Al

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1952
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 11:23:51 PM »
+6
I think the recent releases are an indication.

Did you see how they redesigned the Trainmaster for sound?    It is no longer split frame with two halves side by side (the old way).   It is now more of a top/bottom design.

And then I saw with this most recent release that the GP7/9 has the same chassis modification.
It appears to me that the new chassis design Atlas appears to be going with makes for stronger metal frame parts since the old way is probably getting pretty thin when adding sound.

I personally like and am impressed with the new direction Atlas appears to be going in..... even though it is obviously slower than we would like.    But honestly, these changes must be costing them a good amount since these are often not simple changes- but a major re-design.

my 2 cents
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +989
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2024, 11:32:01 AM »
+1
They haven't even announced the Erie Yet...

They need to finish the SW1200, GP18, GP60, F40, BL2, E6, E7, E8, PA, and C Liner
C-424/425 too.
before they tackle the Erie..   :D

Then the 0-8-0, 2-8-8-2, and Berkshire (if they got that tooling)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 11:04:39 PM by learmoia »

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2024, 12:40:07 PM »
+1
Where are my Erie Builts? You have the tooling but after waiting a decade they aren't here, you've done the FAs so where are my Erie Builts.  :D :D

They haven't done the FA2 yet ...  :trollface:

But, yeah coincidentally last week I was discussing the Erie builts with a friend - he is hoping for Atlas to release them in Milwaukee Road's yellow scheme.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +989
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2024, 02:36:02 PM »
They haven't done the FA2 yet ...  :trollface:

But, yeah coincidentally last week I was discussing the Erie builts with a friend - he is hoping for Atlas to release them in Milwaukee Road's yellow scheme.

Weren't all the Erie builts kind of custom for each road? Like.. Detail variations were noticeable from road to road.

Doug G.

• Crew
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2024, 02:58:19 PM »
I guess they realized the old, pre-split frame designs were better.

:D

Doug
Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

jwaldo

• Crew
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2024, 04:25:30 PM »
+1
A lot according to a little birdie. They've been returned to the factory about 8 times now.

It's a darn shame. I just took delivery of a last-run Walthers GP20, and I'll be darned if it isn't THE best running split frame loco I've encountered. And the pre-DCC-ready ones were already fantastic runners. Atlas seems to have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with the GP20s, and I assume that whatever is causing that is what's holding up the re-issues of the rest of the LL-sourced locos.

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2024, 05:31:53 PM »
+1
I would honestly suggest patience.

Atlas (like every other manufacturer) does not volunteer their problems or long term plans. 

Remember when the Shays were taking forever?   I found out much later that the factory had made changes without asking Atlas.    They were having all kinds of problems which took a long time to iron out.   But when they were finally released, they were great.

(Funny thing is, I have an unopened shrink wrapped AB set of Erie Builts undec.   I've been thinking about opening them up and painting them for Milw Road.  But too many projects are ahead of them).

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +375
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2024, 08:45:56 PM »
If you want C Liners, I have two undec A-B powered sets, never open or run...
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +649
    • My train pics
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2024, 09:34:50 PM »
+2
They haven't even announced the Erie Yet...

They need to finish the SW1200, GP18, GP60, F40, BL2, E6, E7, E8, PA, and C Liner before they tackle the Erie..   :D

C-424/425 too.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5130
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2024, 11:57:24 PM »
+1
I guess they realized the old, pre-split frame designs were better.
:D
Doug

IMO, split frame is a better design.  Easier to service: assemble/disassemble, and no wires.  Fewer parts. Performance of the current non-split chassis is comparable with split-frame design.
. . . 42 . . .

u18b

• Crew
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2024, 12:20:13 AM »
+2
IMO, split frame is a better design.  Easier to service: assemble/disassemble, and no wires.  Fewer parts. Performance of the current non-split chassis is comparable with split-frame design.

I totally agree.... except the new drive for sound adds a deal breaking variable.   When you cut away more metal for the larger sound decoders and the speaker, the metal is getting awfully thin in some smaller locos.   The Trainmaster- not much of a problem.   But my own opinion is that the new GP7/9s are better when sound is factored in.

And I know, a lot of folks want nothing to do with sound.   But the manufacturer needs to be able to make a mechanism sound-capable, even if they sell it without sound.
Sound is here- whether we all want it or not.

Oh- and back to the original post:  Remember, many of the Life Like locos were not even DCC ready (including the wonderful Erie Builts).  So Atlas' design cost getting things out is higher.
I wish them the best as they bring things into production (yes, even slowly   :)  )
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist