Author Topic: The latest CSX Heritage unit has been released, WM 1852  (Read 726 times)

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3475
The latest CSX Heritage unit has been released, WM 1852
« on: April 05, 2024, 02:45:01 AM »
+2
I figured someone would have done this already, but the latest CSX Heritage unit has been released from the paint shops in Waycross.  CSX #1852, the Western Maryland heritage unit, done in Red/White/Black, along with the fireball logo hidden behind the railing.  Oh wait, they used the Western Maryland Scenic herald  :facepalm: Personally I think this is the worst of the bunch, and using the wrong herald just adds insult to injury.  With the dark blue fade/angle job on the cab, I think Speed or Fireball schemes would have been better suited.  This is just too busy.  And others say it looks more like a tribute to Texas.

I know, I know.  CSX could have chosen to do nothing, instead they've done something.  What that is, I'm not sure yet....

Photo from the Waycross paint shops

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +3180
Re: The latest CSX Heritage unit has been released, WM 1852
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 05:13:35 AM »
+1
They should put it on one of the UBxx trains :)

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +982
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 07:12:27 AM »
This isn't too bad.. Chessie was worse.. (Logo is way too small)

What gets me is the frame/sill... same color all the way across.. some times is CSX scheme... sometime is Heritage scheme..
CSX Scheme looks OK.. but when it's Heritage scheme, it looks 'off' .. or include it in the color break.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +725
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 10:03:24 AM »
+1
They ran out of black paint? Seriously, these units get worse the more they complete. It's like watching 1980s era Bachmann butcher paint schemes on models.

At least they could have painted the edge of the radiator housing black to emulate the black grills. Heck adding a black area between the exhaust housing and dynamic brake box would have captured the look better as well.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

The red cabs of GP units were one of the most prominent features of the Circus scheme, but we get a CSX blue safety cab like it was dropped on by a drunk shop crane operator? Yuck.

Or if you don't have enough paint, try a different WM scheme, but don't butcher a classic.

If anyone had ANY creativity at CSX we could have had this.

Maybe they should just quit now.  They are costing Scale Trains and BLI future sales of models with these 2nd rate paint jobs.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 11:13:26 AM by basementcalling »
Peter Pfotenhauer

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1143
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2024, 11:15:33 AM »
I actually like it, it is not too far off from the GP40. The logo placement is curious tho... Like the inverter panel is right there asking for that logo...
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8948
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2024, 11:26:07 AM »
+4
I actually like it, it is not too far off from the GP40. The logo placement is curious tho... Like the inverter panel is right there asking for that logo...

Honest to god, these all feel like they were designed by someone's nephew who just got Photoshop... that's a good example. As is the lack of a black roof.

I do feel bad for the model manufacturers. The NS ones all (well, except for the Pennsy one) looked so good. The CSX ones? I don't think I've seen ONE that I've thought "damn, they really NAILED that".

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1143
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2024, 11:41:19 AM »
+3
Honest to god, these all feel like they were designed by someone's nephew who just got Photoshop... that's a good example. As is the lack of a black roof.

I do feel bad for the model manufacturers. The NS ones all (well, except for the Pennsy one) looked so good. The CSX ones? I don't think I've seen ONE that I've thought "damn, they really NAILED that".

Agree completely all the schemes seem to be lacking something. Not sure if it's a lack of knowledge, resources or simply someone handed a project they just don't care about...

Also agree NS did a much better job,  and at the risk of cheering for the home team CP did an amazing job with their's in making an accurate heritage scheme... those SD70acu units are as if they were painted in 1968 (or the 50s for the roman scheme).

The little details matter, and show that there is someone involved with a passion for it...
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8948
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2024, 12:44:02 PM »
+2
Agree completely all the schemes seem to be lacking something. Not sure if it's a lack of knowledge, resources or simply someone handed a project they just don't care about...

Also agree NS did a much better job,  and at the risk of cheering for the home team CP did an amazing job with their's in making an accurate heritage scheme... those SD70acu units are as if they were painted in 1968 (or the 50s for the roman scheme).

The little details matter, and show that there is someone involved with a passion for it...

Oh yeah, I forgot about the CP units. They're incredible. Their other special schemes are really well done too. I even like the new cupcake scheme too.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +982
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2024, 04:41:02 PM »
+2
Remember when This was a thing?

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +6257
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2024, 05:55:22 PM »
+2
If it shows up between Cherry Run and Hagerstown, or anywhere else on surviving home rails, there will be a camera line regardless.

Maybe she'll get assigned out of Bowest to pull coal up to Mt. Storm...  We'll just have to demand that she long-hood forward...

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net