Author Topic: Amherst Scaletrains Announcements  (Read 3520 times)

kiwi_bnsf

• Crew
  • Respect: +239
Re: Amherst Scaletrains Announcements
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2024, 02:15:25 AM »
+2
They seem to be paralleling their mass market HO models into N scale (no SDL39 or sd38s so far) so I would guess they’d bring the GP40 along. They also announced the GP35 in HO (which is probably my favorite loco) so I’d assume they’d also bring that to N scale after the GP30

For the mid year 4-axle N scale announcement I picking either the GP30 if they stick with their HO tooling, but more likely a re-issue of the Fox Valley Model GP60/GP60M/GP60B with sound and factory detailing. I expect that there is likely still quite a lot of demand for the GP60s since FVM never delivered the later release. At the current rate they could potentially even beat the Atlas ex-Walthers/ex-LifeLike GP60 to market!
--
Tim Benson

Modelling Tehachapi East Slope in N scale circa 1999

kiwi_bnsf

• Crew
  • Respect: +239
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2024, 02:22:27 AM »
+1
I had better luck with my Intermountain units and only "lost" 2 of 7. I added Kato wheels, used plastic to fill the gaps between the body and trucks, and spent too much time putting the shells/bodies in a position so they wouldn't loose handrails when anyone looked at them.

I ordered 4 ST units today -- a big expense. I wonder how many orders came in. I would expect a lot.

I spent more time on my Tunnel Motors than any other N scale locos. I had to completely strip down the frames and in some case bend them back into shape. I micro adjusted the hex position on the worm shafts (thanks to Ron Beardon) in order to optimise the drive train. I too swapped in the Kato 932090 wheel sets — they at least didn't wobble. Those Atlas HT-C trucks are an abomination. I also thickened the chassis with insulation tape to try and keep the shell down and in place, and created light shields for the decoders so all the etched parts were not illuminated like Star Wars. The real downer was how the later Intermountain releases had shells that were warped upwards at the front.

I've also ordered four Tunnel Motors today, and I hope to see them cover off more variants in future releases. I'd be in for DRGW, SP Roman, Cotton Belt, and even Kodachrome if they run them all with ditch lights.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 05:05:26 AM by kiwi_bnsf »
--
Tim Benson

Modelling Tehachapi East Slope in N scale circa 1999

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2382
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2024, 02:24:07 AM »

... more likely a re-issue of the Fox Valley Model GP60/GP60M/GP60B with sound and factory detailing. ...

Ah, a distinct possibility. I forgot they had those. I have yet to put the grabs on the four I have from the first run and they are languishing on my bench. Shame on me.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1615
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2024, 03:19:25 AM »
For the mid year 4-axle N scale announcement I picking either the GP30 if they stick with their HO tooling, but more likely a re-issue of the Fox Valley Model GP60/GP60M/GP60B with sound and factory detailing. I expect that there is likely still quite a lot of demand for the GP60s since FVM never delivered the later release. At the current rate they could potentially even beat the Atlas ex-Walthers/ex-LifeLike GP60 to market!

I’m betting the over.   :trollface:
I think you’re likely right…however I’m not pushing all in.
I hope they have something new up their sleeves, although if I already owned tooling, I’d utilize it.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +114
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2024, 12:52:36 PM »

I definitely would be adding more to my collection. The currently owned trio of SP need more stable mates. Definitely need DRGW, SP, and SSW ditch light versions, heck maybe even a UP version with the Baby Wings.

I've also ordered four Tunnel Motors today, and I hope to see them cover off more variants in future releases. I'd be in for DRGW, SP Roman, Cotton Belt, and even Kodachrome if they run them all with ditch lights.

I ordered a pair of speed lettered for now. I can't find but a solo Kodachrome SD40T-2 with ditch lights and that being 8573.

SP 8573 - has DRGW Durham style numberboards, and class lights removed
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2891174
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2397341
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +186
    • IG
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2024, 06:58:34 PM »
Scale trains might also announce a 4 axle diesel in May. Couldn't get Shane to say anymore than that.

Here are some pics of the SD45-T2. Even for a pre production model, the details have to be seen to be believed. Well done scale trains

If it isnt the GP60s from FVM Im lighting my Dash 9s on fire.
I need so many M and Bs its not even funny.
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1615
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2024, 07:06:13 PM »

I wonder if that’s somehow in conjunction with Briggs?

Asking an honest question garnered a negative rating, lololol  :facepalm:
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

pjm20

• Crew
  • Modeling the Bellefonte Central
  • Respect: +144
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2024, 07:49:07 PM »

Asking an honest question garnered a negative rating, lololol  :facepalm:

I wouldn't think so, Bowser has had 3D printed products for a number of years and they have prototyped previous models with 3D printing.
Peter
Modeling the Bellefonte Central Railroad circa 1953
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler

pjm20

• Crew
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2024, 07:50:45 PM »
They also announced the GP35 in HO (which is probably my favorite loco)

Where did you see this?
Peter
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +551
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2024, 10:25:27 PM »
Where did you see this?

Apparently in my dreams, because I don’t see it on their website or Facebook. Whoops.  :facepalm:
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

pjm20

• Crew
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2024, 10:39:39 PM »
Apparently in my dreams, because I don’t see it on their website or Facebook. Whoops.  :facepalm:

That's fine, we can speak it into existence  :trollface:
Peter
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

wmcbride

• Crew
  • Respect: +69
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2024, 12:00:49 AM »
I spent more time on my Tunnel Motors than any other N scale locos. I had to completely strip down the frames and in some case bend them back into shape. I micro adjusted the hex position on the worm shafts (thanks to Ron Beardon) in order to optimise the drive train. I too swapped in the Kato 932090 wheel sets — they at least didn't wobble. Those Atlas HT-C trucks are an abomination. I also thickened the chassis with insulation tape to try and keep the shell down and in place, and created light shields for the decoders so all the etched parts were not illuminated like Star Wars. The real downer was how the later Intermountain releases had shells that were warped upwards at the front.

I got off lucky because I had no bent frames. Adding plastruct I-beams under the side sills was a bit tricky on the first one but it did a lot to erase the air gap between the trucks and side frame. The handrails were what caused me a lot of work.

Adding sound to a few was very easy with the Loksound board replacement and a speaker fit in right in the back.

I just wish ST would figure out how to do speakers (Atlas sure has). They do not understand a baffle (as in holes in the fuel tank). As a result they need some work but otherwise are well-running and well-decorated.

Bill McBride

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +353
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2024, 10:26:33 AM »
They seem to be paralleling their mass market HO models into N scale (no SDL39 or sd38s so far) so I would guess they’d bring the GP40 along. They also announced the GP35 in HO (which is probably my favorite loco) so I’d assume they’d also bring that to N scale after the GP30 whoops, I guess I dreamed this announcement because there’s no mention of it on their Facebook page or their website  :facepalm: sorry for the false alarm folks

BLI has a relatively new GP35 in their FaceBook posts, maybe you saw that?

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FBroadwayLimited%2Fposts%2Fpfbid08vxmk5LYacTA6nkE1zLFuBvnUNa7xxfn4TXBiiHDaLy4UQo4UTp3L4Saag5X6jcHl&show_text=true&width=500" width="500" height="519" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +551
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2024, 10:36:06 AM »
BLI has a relatively new GP35 in their FaceBook posts, maybe you saw that?

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FBroadwayLimited%2Fposts%2Fpfbid08vxmk5LYacTA6nkE1zLFuBvnUNa7xxfn4TXBiiHDaLy4UQo4UTp3L4Saag5X6jcHl&show_text=true&width=500" width="500" height="519" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>

Yes, that’s the one! Thanks
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +496
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2024, 01:40:44 PM »
Has there been any rumors of Scale Trains doing an SD45T-2?

For some reason I kinda just assumed they had already done it in HO.  Now I see they haven't.   Also in re-educating myself about tunnel motors I now see that for the mid 70s I would 'need' the 45s, not 40s.  Not that I restrict myself to that era.   :facepalm:

I'm trying to decide how many N SD40T-2 to pre-order and figuring if I want to run them with IM SD45T-2s and how long I might be doing that for.