Author Topic: Rapido N Scale Budd RDC  (Read 5628 times)

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3475
Re: Rapido N Scale Budd RDC
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2023, 11:49:38 PM »
+1
@packers#1 add in the fact after pointing to locomotives and passenger cars as failures, they say that's where their focus will be going forward.  Go luck figuring that out

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2023, 11:52:11 PM »
+1
Seeing as the members of this forum (lots of NE modelers, very prototype focused) is probably a key part of the target market for this, this thread doesn't bode well.

I think the issue here is the market for RDC's if you want to make money is Northeastern modelers who need loads of NH/B&M/PRSL RDC-1's and then doing all the RDC-3s that covered a lot of branch line work across the rest of the US, roads like NP, RI, MKT, GTW, and GN plus the usual big owners (NYC, B&M, NH, CN and CP).

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +209
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2023, 12:58:19 AM »
+1
Just curious ....

I like RDCs. I have read about them a lot but have only seen them a few times on Vancouver Island, BC.

I wonder, however,  how many modelers under 60 have ever seen one of these in the wild ?  I suspect that number is low and will impact total sales more than the perceived quality of the product.

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1181
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2023, 01:37:42 AM »
+1
Just curious ....

I like RDCs. I have read about them a lot but have only seen them a few times on Vancouver Island, BC.

I wonder, however,  how many modelers under 60 have ever seen one of these in the wild ?  I suspect that number is low and will impact total sales more than the perceived quality of the product.

Depends remember, the type is still kicking around in Transit service in a few places and a lot bulk up the roster of larger Excursion ops.
One of my "core" memories as a kid when my father busted me out of school to join him at a Restaurant Wholesale convention to pig out on samples and help move a couch from my Aunt's house. But of course the highlight of the adventure was as we drove down Rt.23; we spent a pretty good amount of time racing a single NYSW Budd as it twisted back and forth over the highway as we trundled in traffic to Lake Stockholm.
-Al

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +649
    • My train pics
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2023, 01:54:58 AM »
+4
Rapido does passenger trains, it's their thing, so they announce the RDC in N. The strategy mentioned in the 'But is it N Scale' thing in November stated they're going to move away from the freight car market to concentrate on what they feel are their successful markets in N, passenger and locomotives. I guess the RDC does both. Looking at the HO lineup I'd have pushed for the C30-7 in N, a model that did well and was seen from coast to coast, and the chassis could be used for six axle U boats in the future. They could own that model since Kato releases are so few and far between and a Rapido C30-7 would be road specific, which would be pretty nice.

I don't need a C30-7 personally, though I did shoot CR (C30-7A), CSX, and NS units east of Toronto on CN fairly regular 1997-99 either leased or HPH repayment, not in my era. But the prospect of having a base for the late model U28C, U23C, U30C, U33C, U36C, C30-7, C30-7A, and C36-7 might have been a better route as it'd have legs for releases going out for a few years with the chassis. Maybe a U23C or late model U28C wouldn't be overly popular, but considering the fleet of U30C's BN and UP had, the fleet of U33C's that SP had, and the fleet of U36C's that Santa Fe had, I have to think they'd sell.

Simon D.

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2023, 06:56:12 AM »
I asked some of my N Gauge friends here in the UK about Rapido, and the UK operation seems to have many of the same issues as across the Atlantic, ie variable quality, some eccentric choices of product, a certain irritating smugness, delusions that they are funny and a general sense that it is a privilege for you to do business with them.  This is from their recruitment page: 'Rapido Trains UK’s, Britain’s most fun, sci-fi-obsessed and exciting model train manufacturer, is looking for new staff! [They don't actually have any vacancies].  Want a new job with variety? We have that covered – everyone gets to have their say at Rapido and every day is different. A love of sci-fi, 1970s cars, dogs and biscuits are recommended but not essential!'; also demonstrating a limited acquaintance with good grammar.

They have tried to communicate with customers via the RMWeb forum, which gives them some credit. (I'm not sure how much this has happened in the US and Canada).

As manufacturers move more and more to a batch production, pre-ordered model, they will need to actually produce or the market will lose some faith in them (cf. Intermountain).  Let us hope that this does not happen to Rapido.
Having said this, I will be looking to buy the Santa Fe RDC, if it materialises, as it is more accurate for the early 50's than the Kato model - the cars were extensively remodelled and given the 'warbonnet' paint job only after the San Bernardino wreck of 1956. 

Simon D.

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2023, 07:44:52 AM »
Livery change was around 1954, my mistake.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +989
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2023, 07:55:34 AM »
Just curious ....

I'm 44 and I saw the RDCs on Vancouver Island.. in my 20s, as noted earlier, I recall seeing a set of Amtraks in Connecticut in the early 80s
I've seen them in museums..

Plus RBMN and other tourist roads are running them..

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2023, 08:22:22 AM »
I’ve always liked RDC’s.  I put a LokSound 5 into an old Kato version some time ago, but I welcome the Rapido detailing so I’ll be in for a CP dcc/sound unit for sure.  And yes, I too have had past annoyances - for example, I was pretty vocal about my displeasure with The Canadian rollability problems vs the premium price point.

But I still wish well for Rapido, and don’t mind doing my small part to help contribute to their success.  Besides, they recently did a significant ‘solid’ for me by upgrading an eBay Turbo Train find with full factory dcc/sound & warranty, with 24 hour turnaround, for the cost of two LS5 decoders. 

Their light-hearted marketing style is aligned with what appears to be a fun work environment.  To me, it’s admirably refreshing, and I’m perplexed why some folks seem to find it objectionable.  But hey, c’est la vie.

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +1027
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2023, 08:47:53 AM »
That Max Headroom announcement video had me chuckling.  It didn't answered my key question though... Will the B and M car sounds include the appropriate regional accent?
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4693
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2023, 08:48:30 AM »
+12
It definitely is not hatred. It’s accountability, or lack thereof. Every issue that has been stated over the years has been a legitimate issue, mostly quality-related. Of course there have been successful projects and they have done well. The Bradley cars and the fluted cars were well-executed and well-received. Likewise for the FL9. The more recent releases seem to have suffered the bulk of the issues. Even the center beam flatcar, which arguably is the most-successful and least-problematic recent N model, had the interfering air lines and undersized wheels, affecting ride-height and performance. The Flexi Flo has undersized wheels, also affecting ride height, and shortcuts in the graphics. The GP20 tankcars disassemble during shipment. The vestibule steps on many of the Horizon cars are ill-fitted and tilt downward. The Canadian cars and the supplemental dome cars don’t roll as delivered because the axles rub against the extra relief underneath the cars. And so on. It is the series of missteps and the projection onto the consumer base that is driving the negative opinion. I think they are spreading themselves too thinly, with too many projects in the works simultaneously. These issues started cropping up and expanding as they increased their active project load.

Regarding the RDCs specifically, my existing Kato units are more than adequate for my New Haven needs and an upgrade isn’t justified regardless of the manufacturer. I have legitimate motive power holes where this type of expenditure is warranted. The RDC isn’t one of them.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

robertjohndavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2023, 09:16:04 AM »
I sold my CNJ Kato RDCs. The DCC install was a PITA and the black roof wore on me.

I would absolutely be in the market for CNJ Budds with sound as-delivered with blue trucks, as Rapido did in HO.

I am it into the whole “all cars are unnumbered, with decals” thing, but oh well.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 09:20:40 AM by robertjohndavis »

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1630
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2023, 12:16:43 PM »
As long as they don’t trade delivery of these for the barrel ore cars I’ll be fine.

That aside, while I have never been on or seen an RDC inthe wild, the announcement had me thinking about the undec repainted as an MOW unit, maybe a track test car of some kind. Throw some herzog or RJ Corman decals on it and call it a day.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +754
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2023, 12:55:19 PM »
It definitely is not hatred. It’s accountability, or lack thereof. Every issue that has been stated over the years has been a legitimate issue, mostly quality-related. Of course there have been successful projects and they have done well. The Bradley cars and the fluted cars were well-executed and well-received. Likewise for the FL9. The more recent releases seem to have suffered the bulk of the issues. Even the center beam flatcar, which arguably is the most-successful and least-problematic recent N model, had the interfering air lines and undersized wheels, affecting ride-height and performance. The Flexi Flo has undersized wheels, also affecting ride height, and shortcuts in the graphics. The GP20 tankcars disassemble during shipment. The vestibule steps on many of the Horizon cars are ill-fitted and tilt downward. The Canadian cars and the supplemental dome cars don’t roll as delivered because the axles rub against the extra relief underneath the cars. And so on. It is the series of missteps and the projection onto the consumer base that is driving the negative opinion. I think they are spreading themselves too thinly, with too many projects in the works simultaneously. These issues started cropping up and expanding as they increased their active project load.

Also, many of their models have been produced on a 'one production run and done' basis, so any shortcomings that are found in models from the initial run never get corrected because there is no subsequent production run.

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +551
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2023, 02:43:54 PM »

Their light-hearted marketing style is aligned with what appears to be a fun work environment.  To me, it’s admirably refreshing, and I’m perplexed why some folks seem to find it objectionable.  But hey, c’est la vie.

I don’t think too many people have an issue with the ads specifically, it’s more the comments they make on stuff like their “Is it N scale?” Rant where they have the smugness (thanks @Simon D. thats the perfect word for it) and audacity to act as if we are so lucky for them to have even considered n scale and how dare we complain about the shortcomings of the designs?!

That said, along with my earlier post, I do wish them well and if they make models I want/need (looking at you Centerbeams) I’ll bite if there aren’t other players. I don’t really want to blow $250 on a sound RDC for my layout to just shuttle back and forth outside of the local, but that painted and unlettered one would be perfect for something like that on my freelanced shortline. But overall, it sucks that a company with the promise and skills that Rapido has shown treats their customers the way they do.
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech