Author Topic: Rapido N Scale Budd RDC  (Read 5632 times)

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +496
Re: Rapido N Scale Budd RDC
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2023, 01:59:10 PM »
They are doing SP #10.
Welp, I'll buy it.

ek2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2023, 02:12:07 PM »
+2
While there are things that I'd like to see Rapido change, they definitely deserve another chance and our support. I have the turboliner on pre-order and will pick up both the Budd Rdc and another 8-40cm. One less manufacturer can only be bad for N scale.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1073
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2023, 02:26:09 PM »
Interesting choice on the Santa Fe.  Maybe they will do the war bonnet nose in a second run. You can’t run all the most popular road names in the first run.
Actually, I will give them credit. I think they have this correct, given that these are paired RDC-1s. The photos I've seen of the cars on the Surf Line show the 'as built' paint scheme, and I think the all red nose did not appear until 1956, when one unit was rebuilt with a baggage end- similar to an RDC2 but with different door placement, and the units were moved to Kansas to run Newton-Dodge City. My guess is that Rapido figures more people model the Surf Line in California in the early 50s than model Newton-Dodge in the late 50s, or El Paso in the 60s. Of course, a "Warbonnet" might sell better anyway, and a full on Warbonnet (with the curved red areas on the sides and yellow and black accent stripes like an F or E) might sell best, even if fictional.

Personally, for my modeling, I needed 1 RDC. Kato filled my needs, and it cost me $35, brand new, because Kato apparently made too many, and they were on sale for years. Granted, it has been years since they've been available from Kato, but the market was clearly saturated at the time. Which does lead me to wonder if this was the best choice for a "do or die" N scale release.

That said...I would like to see these be successful if only to keep Rapido in the N scale market. But no pre-order for me, due to it not being something I "need," and due to the bad taste in my mouth from the ATSF reefer nonsense.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3673
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2023, 03:03:51 PM »
+1
We're going to make a duplicate of a model Kato did 15 years ago and sold poorly.

Incorrect!  This announcement includes the first Phase 2 RDCs to be offered in N Scale, which is really the big news here, as well as the DCC/Sound option.

Very disappointing to see no British Columbia Railway release, and none with fluting across the ends and doors which makes modelling a BCR one a challenge.

May have to get one or two undecorated and get some 3D parts done.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +649
    • My train pics
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2023, 04:17:23 PM »
I rode VIA's RDC's in the era I'm modeling, in the area I model, so I'm certain I'll bite for a pair of VIA's. CP used them occasionally at Agincourt yard for training purposes back them as well. And CN is always tempting.

I do have a fleet of undecorated Kato RDC's and one in the demo scheme. I don't really need the Rapido's, though.

I get that not doing the B&M was a bizarre choice for Kato, but so was VIA with it's long lived fleet... still a few going in rebuilt form.

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +730
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2023, 04:29:59 PM »
+3
I'll hope they sell well enough that Rapido decides to do a second run, with details correct for the roads they left out of run one, not because I will buy an RDC, but I don't want to see them abandon N scale completely. Do note they are labeling this a conditional release, so I guess like Intermountain, if they fail to hit a target with pre orders, they will not make them. My $142US will go towards a Scale Trains loco or assorted rolling stock.

Like someone said, a strange prototype for a make or break the market offering. The average modeler probably doesn't even know there were phase 1 and phase 2 RDCs. And  many new modelers will always buy something in Warbonnet red judging by the number of ATSF F units, E units, FTs, and PAs sold in that paint scheme.

This may be too harsh, but I wish Rapido put as much effort into product selection as they clearly do into their release videos. They definitely crawl all over prototype examples to get spot on measurements too, but I am unsure how they decide which cars and engines to produce. And an N scale version of the FT would have the same demand issues as I fear the RDCs might, as the market was previously flooded with these  models as well. I just don't see the need to duplicate offerings and market it as "Well, our version is more detailed and better."
Peter Pfotenhauer

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +989
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2023, 04:35:00 PM »
I remember a string of Amtrak Phase 1 or 2 RDCs zip by when I was young in Connecticut.. But not vivid enough to warrant a purchase.

I'm saving my pennies for the Rohr Turbotrain which I rode from NYC to Rochester in the early-mid 1980s (So I would have been... 5 or 6?).

I almost pulled the trigger on some LRC coaches to model the Amtrak International.. but didn't follow through.

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1181
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2023, 04:47:05 PM »
+1
I'll hope they sell well enough that Rapido decides to do a second run, with details correct for the roads they left out of run one, not because I will buy an RDC, but I don't want to see them abandon N scale completely. Do note they are labeling this a conditional release, so I guess like Intermountain, if they fail to hit a target with pre orders, they will not make them. My $142US will go towards a Scale Trains loco or assorted rolling stock.

Like someone said, a strange prototype for a make or break the market offering. The average modeler probably doesn't even know there were phase 1 and phase 2 RDCs. And  many new modelers will always buy something in Warbonnet red judging by the number of ATSF F units, E units, FTs, and PAs sold in that paint scheme.

This may be too harsh, but I wish Rapido put as much effort into product selection as they clearly do into their release videos. They definitely crawl all over prototype examples to get spot on measurements too, but I am unsure how they decide which cars and engines to produce. And an N scale version of the FT would have the same demand issues as I fear the RDCs might, as the market was previously flooded with these  models as well. I just don't see the need to duplicate offerings and market it as "Well, our version is more detailed and better."

While I partially agree on the first point. I personally don't see it that way on the latter. There is space in the market for duplication if they can deliver a superior product particularly if its something as prolific and common as an RDC. Since that's what happened with HO, plenty of LL and Athearn RDCs can be had, but Rapido's is a lot more detailed and has Sound/DCC. There is space for that, I just think they need to get better at product selection and delivering models that run right.
-Al

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +518
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2023, 04:51:20 PM »
+5
The Rapido hate is strong on TRW.  My Rapido products have been pretty nice.

Everything I have from Rapido has been good. The extent of "Modifications" I had to do with mine was gauging the wheels. I have Horizon coaches, Bradly-Osgood coaches, a FP7 and FL9. I also have a pair of the reefers that everyone had such a Piss poor attitude about, and I really like them.

People are so quick to go ape ***** on Rapido for every little tiny thing, but then when Kato, Atlas, Bachmann or any other established manufacture makes similar mistakes, they barley mention it. I don't have a problem with criticizing manufactures for mistakes, but crucifying one, and letting the others slide is Hypocritical. And frankly, for the few people who do this, It's getting really old.
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2023, 04:56:34 PM »
+7
It’s about attitude. Rapido is all about “the best” “most accurate” “most detailed” models. That’s what they advertise. If they’re going to claim that, and price them the way they do, they better be perfect! No need to modify your brand new model or reattach bits that have fallen off.
Atlas and Kato don’t make those claims.

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +754

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3475
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2023, 06:06:20 PM »
+3
It's not hate from my standpoint, but when they blame the modeler for low sales on niche models that are specific to one area or time frame it's kind of hard but not turn your nose up at them.  As that's how it's seems they did to us.  The success of the centerbeam shows n scalers can and will support them. 

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +649
    • My train pics
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2023, 06:24:06 PM »
I dunno, I've been pretty critical of the Atlas C628/630 and SD50/60 for years. Have never had one of any model that runs as well as their four axle offerings, and with the Alco's it's been bad units over multiple runs, so they're not improving them.

Generally Rapido is good stuff, and they do (did) freight car models I need badly for my era. I've only owned the GMD-1, C40-8M in terms of locomotives and they're both excellent models. To me, their misstep was the LRC coach, which they seem totally disinterested in fixing (defective light boards, don't roll at all).

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +730
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2023, 10:22:34 PM »
While I partially agree on the first point. I personally don't see it that way on the latter. There is space in the market for duplication if they can deliver a superior product particularly if its something as prolific and common as an RDC. Since that's what happened with HO, plenty of LL and Athearn RDCs can be had, but Rapido's is a lot more detailed and has Sound/DCC. There is space for that, I just think they need to get better at product selection and delivering models that run right.

Ok, but if they want to do duplicates but superior duplicates, then factor that into their sales expectations. There are folks who want the "superior" model. They used to collect brass. But at $142 in today's economy, that's a lot of money for a "better" version without the sound.
Peter Pfotenhauer

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +551
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2023, 11:39:05 PM »
+4
People are so quick to go ape ***** on Rapido for every little tiny thing, but then when Kato, Atlas, Bachmann or any other established manufacture makes similar mistakes, they barley mention it. I don't have a problem with criticizing manufactures for mistakes, but crucifying one, and letting the others slide is Hypocritical. And frankly, for the few people who do this, It's getting really old.

There are two issues, as I see it, with this sentiment and that set Rapido apart from others. 1) I’m not having issues with Atlas/Kato/Athearn etc rolling stock as with Rapido. The centerbeams, which I love mine, had the interfering hose thing by the coupler (I just yanked them off mine) and probably had an extra $5/unit of detail that just really didn’t matter. Then add in the couplers. Which perplexed me, because I love the boxcars they did recently that I have two of. I’ve had a couple one off similar issues with my ScaleTrains coil cars (coupler bent down on one, the weights being modeled as steel coils with the separate spacers) are also frustrating, but that leads to point 2) Rapido’s attitude. It reminds me of a couple disc golf manufacturers, one that’s failed (Salient discs) and the other that’s basically being supported by Europe sales but has horrendous quality control (Prodigy Discs). Rapido has an elitist, entitled “we’re putting all this work in, you’re so lucky for us to be selling these $45-$50 per each freight car and super niche locomotives. Nevermind the concerns you have with these things rolling and coupling, aren’t they great???” Like that last email where they wailed and moaned about the reception of their rolling stock and then immediately listed off passenger cars and locomotives as reasons to stop producing freight cars. It’s just extremely tone deaf, disrespectful to their customers, and gaslighting to say something like that, and again, an entitled attitude of we built it, you should be happy. I wish them well, but I wish most of all they would stop being personally offended by legitimate gripes, because this attitude is going to lead to them leaving a market and blaming the consumers instead of actually considering the needs of their customers.
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech