Author Topic: Laminate Switch Jigs?  (Read 892 times)

ridinshotgun

• Crew
  • Respect: +78
Laminate Switch Jigs?
« on: September 25, 2023, 08:50:03 AM »
So has anyone seen these switch jigs that are made from what they say is heat resistant GPO-3 Red Laminate?

https://www.blueridgetrax.com/products/

They look interesting at a price point well below the Fastrack jigs but I wonder how well they will hold up to building switches.  Anyone have any experience with them or the laminate they are made from?

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1182
Re: Laminate Switch Jigs?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2023, 08:59:33 AM »
I have a project that requires #10s. Maybe I'll give em a try. Worst comes to worst I can always just make it on a paper template. But to be perfectly honest if the proper technique is being followed there shouldn't be too much heat transfer to the jig itself. I know a few crazies out there that get a few turnouts out of FDM printed Jigs.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 09:01:54 AM by dem34 »
-Al

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3557
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 11:35:43 AM »
Trying to understand why the N version is priced the same as the HO when material and processing should be less to make.

ridinshotgun

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 11:59:26 AM »
I have a project that requires #10s. Maybe I'll give em a try. Worst comes to worst I can always just make it on a paper template. But to be perfectly honest if the proper technique is being followed there shouldn't be too much heat transfer to the jig itself. I know a few crazies out there that get a few turnouts out of FDM printed Jigs.

If you do I would appreciate a report back. Like you I am looking at #10 switches. I have some fastrack jigs for 6 and 8 switches but was wondering about the longevity of the fiber vs the metal with wear from inserting rails and if there is any thermal expansion in the fiber vs the metal.  Also since you get a little heat sink action in the metal jugs was wondering if it is different with the fiber.

mike_lawyer

• Crew
  • Respect: +163
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 02:09:08 PM »
I have not used these jigs, but in looking at the jigs on the website, there are a couple of things I like.  First, it looks like the frog helper tool is built into the middle of the jig itself.  That is a very nice feature and saves money.  Second, it looks like the jig has more PCB ties beyond the frog on both routes.  I really like that idea and have done that with Fast Tracks turnouts to provide greater stability to the turnouts.

Wolf N Works

• Crew
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2023, 02:25:20 PM »
I have a couple, and ran into issues with the brand of PCB ties it would accept. The 2nd concern was the area of the frog, you have to be very careful of placement of the frog as it has more play than that of the Fast track jigs I have.

dem34

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2023, 03:21:43 PM »
I have a couple, and ran into issues with the brand of PCB ties it would accept. The 2nd concern was the area of the frog, you have to be very careful of placement of the frog as it has more play than that of the Fast track jigs I have.

Do you recall which ones it wouldn't accept?
-Al

Wolf N Works

• Crew
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2023, 03:42:13 PM »
I had some clover house that would not work and some ones that I cut (they fit the Fast Track jigs), just were a bit too wide for these.

dem34

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2023, 03:45:25 PM »
I had some clover house that would not work and some ones that I cut (they fit the Fast Track jigs), just were a bit too wide for these.

Got it, thnk.
-Al

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1081
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2023, 04:18:52 PM »
Trying to understand why the N version is priced the same as the HO when material and processing should be less to make.
They used the Walthers Cornerstone pricing system?
https://www.walthers.com/glacier-gravel-company-kit-9-3-8-x-11-x-10-1-4-quot-23-8-x-27-9-x-26cm
https://www.walthers.com/glacier-gravel-co-kit-5-5-8-x-6-5-8-x-6-1-8-quot-14-3-x-16-8-x-15-6cm
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

ridinshotgun

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2023, 04:53:57 PM »
+1

Interesting to know.  Not a big matter though since you can't get cloverhouse n scale pcb ties any longer.  Did the fast track pcb's work if you had them?

I think the only PCB ties available now outside of fastracks are coming from voltscooter.

https://voltscooter.com/product/n-scale-pcb-turnout-ties/

Mdrzycimski

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2023, 10:18:24 PM »
I bought one of the BlueRidgetrax jigs and could not use it.  I bought the N scale Code 55 #5 turnout jig and the cnc cutting was not very accurate.  It would not allow the base of the rail to seat into the jig.  I tried both Micro Engineering and Atlas code 55 that I striped out of some flex track.  I used a diamond cutter in my Dremel to widen all of the track lines.  Also the ties spaces were cut too deep (I used Clover House pcb ties). When I placed the pcb ties in the jig the rail would not seat down far enough to touch the ties to be soldered.  I had to fill each tie slot with a strip of styrene to raise up the tie enough so I could solder it.  Once I got all of that done, I soldered a turnout to find that the frog alignment was off and the turnout would not function.

I will say that the frog helper part did work and I used that to solder the frogs of other turnouts I built. 

All in all, I would not recommend the BlueRidgeTrax product.
Mike

The Southview Lines
N Scale

ridinshotgun

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2023, 10:55:54 PM »
I bought one of the BlueRidgetrax jigs and could not use it.  I bought the N scale Code 55 #5 turnout jig and the cnc cutting was not very accurate.  It would not allow the base of the rail to seat into the jig.  I tried both Micro Engineering and Atlas code 55 that I striped out of some flex track.  I used a diamond cutter in my Dremel to widen all of the track lines.  Also the ties spaces were cut too deep (I used Clover House pcb ties). When I placed the pcb ties in the jig the rail would not seat down far enough to touch the ties to be soldered.  I had to fill each tie slot with a strip of styrene to raise up the tie enough so I could solder it.  Once I got all of that done, I soldered a turnout to find that the frog alignment was off and the turnout would not function.

I will say that the frog helper part did work and I used that to solder the frogs of other turnouts I built. 

All in all, I would not recommend the BlueRidgeTrax product.

Curios if you contacted them about the issues and what their response was?  They claim to have a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

mike_lawyer

• Crew
  • Respect: +163
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2023, 11:16:21 PM »
Anyone ever use those voltscutter PCB ties?  Looks cool with them pre-gapped and with throwbar holes already drilled.

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2023, 08:29:33 AM »
Anyone ever use those voltscutter PCB ties?  Looks cool with them pre-gapped and with throwbar holes already drilled.

I have. I like them, but you need to be careful removing them from the fret. They snap easily. I find it’s best to separate each tie, and then trim it to length. I’ve got a big pile ready for the layout I’ve just started.

I also like their led light boards. I should probably say that I’ve known Ken since forever, but that doesn’t stop them from being good products.