Author Topic: KatoUSA oddness  (Read 3339 times)

PRB

• Respect: +4
Re: KatoUSA oddness
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2023, 08:57:36 AM »
+1
I wonder if Kato will be ready for the deluge of parts orders when the shop is back up? :)

Tim

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4823
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2023, 09:22:44 AM »
I wonder if Kato will be ready for the deluge of parts orders when the shop is back up? :)

Tim

Deluge?! Do we suspect that there are thousands  (or maybe even hundreds of modelers waiting to order Kato parts?

Maybe @nightmare0331 would have some ideas of average numbers of parts per month.  Assuming that he even wants to relive those memories.   :)
. . . 42 . . .

Hedron

• Crew
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2023, 11:30:22 AM »
The parts store is now officially online in "preview" mode. You can reach it directly from the home page without having to stumble upon it via another route. As above, still can't pay for your order yet. But you can throw things in the cart and see how she rides. Baby steps!

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2023, 12:13:43 PM »
Well I sure can not find that link. You must have a secret code? Tried several ways and still no parts listing never did see a preview note?

Hedron

• Crew
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2023, 01:20:55 PM »
KatoUsa front page-->Purchase drop-down menu-->Kato Direct - Parts.

It is the same menu choice that used to go to the old, broken site.

Here is a direct link: https://store.katousa.com/shop/

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +367
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2023, 11:36:40 PM »
+2
They have come along way this week, looking better!! Still in test phase but can I say to Kato --> HURRY UP!!!   :D :D

nightmare0331

• Crew
  • Respect: +240
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2023, 01:25:16 PM »
+3
Deluge?! Do we suspect that there are thousands  (or maybe even hundreds of modelers waiting to order Kato parts?

Maybe @nightmare0331 would have some ideas of average numbers of parts per month.  Assuming that he even wants to relive those memories.   :)

Lots.  I won't go into numbers (more along the lines of dollar amounts) but parts actually became a profit center for the business and not just support.

When I saw the online parts ordering went down, my thought was 'man, that's going to hurt someone's monthly numbers/goals'...couple that with staff turnover and fewer people there who know what they're actually looking at when it comes to looking at the various rando bits and pieces and boxes in the back, limited phone availability to call orders in and I'll bet the site being unavailable cost them quite a bit.

Michael kept that online store limping along on life support longer than was probably feasible but as always, he was working with what he had.  He left in January.  Paul K. also left in January for brand R...him and I were probably the only ones who knew what all was up in the rafters and all sorts of other unmarked/unlisted boxes.  He was also the interm repair guy after I left.  Not sure who's doing it now and to what capacity...for example...I would do component level repairs on Kato power pack/controllers and turntables.  I think they are just swapping with new ones if if it's a warranty claim.

Interestingly enough, I see the main website hasn't been updated in months.  That's another thing Michael kept up to date.  (it's showing for me 'recently shipped' 'shipping in march' and 'coming soon' including the Big Boy.)

In the last two or so years a lot of tribal and institutional knowledge walked out the door as people persued other ambitions in life.

Interesting times!

Kelley.

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +728
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2023, 03:59:45 PM »
I would do component level repairs on Kato power pack/controllers and turntables. 
What components were typically failing in the power pack/controllers and turntables?

NorsemanJack

• Crew
  • Respect: +37
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2023, 01:19:22 AM »
+1
Lots.  I won't go into numbers (more along the lines of dollar amounts) but parts actually became a profit center for the business and not just support.

When I saw the online parts ordering went down, my thought was 'man, that's going to hurt someone's monthly numbers/goals'...couple that with staff turnover and fewer people there who know what they're actually looking at when it comes to looking at the various rando bits and pieces and boxes in the back, limited phone availability to call orders in and I'll bet the site being unavailable cost them quite a bit.

Michael kept that online store limping along on life support longer than was probably feasible but as always, he was working with what he had.  He left in January.  Paul K. also left in January for brand R...him and I were probably the only ones who knew what all was up in the rafters and all sorts of other unmarked/unlisted boxes.  He was also the interm repair guy after I left.  Not sure who's doing it now and to what capacity...for example...I would do component level repairs on Kato power pack/controllers and turntables.  I think they are just swapping with new ones if if it's a warranty claim.

Interestingly enough, I see the main website hasn't been updated in months.  That's another thing Michael kept up to date.  (it's showing for me 'recently shipped' 'shipping in march' and 'coming soon' including the Big Boy.)

In the last two or so years a lot of tribal and institutional knowledge walked out the door as people persued other ambitions in life.

Interesting times!

Kelley.

Thanks for filling us in Kelley.  I appreciate your many contributions.  I grew up in the DeKalb area and will be back from time to time.  Maybe we could meet up for a beer sometime!

oakcreekco

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2023, 10:53:56 AM »
The main page is now showing some updates.
A "western modeler" that also runs NS.

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +1016
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2023, 01:53:36 PM »
+2
Kato Parts Store is now functional.  I ordered some parts last night.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +108
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2023, 04:36:25 PM »
Kato Parts Store is now functional.  I ordered some parts last night.

Thanks for the heads up! Ordered some ALC-42 and SDP40F parts. I do miss the list all N scale parts that the old version had. Had to go do a search for one of the parts, because its not actually shown in the SDP40F section.

Doesn't seem to have the old account info anymore, and unable to create a new account. Or did I miss something entirely?
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +1016
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2023, 04:41:26 PM »
+1
I also noticed that my old account info was gone.  Not a big issue for me.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +473
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2023, 01:35:07 PM »
I'm glad I can finally order parts for my Super Cheif.   :facepalm: :trollface:

And it's times like these that I wish there were parts diagrams available somewhere to know what to order.  Does anyone have one for E units?  Or a Super Cheif baggage car?
Aaron Bearden

McKeen

• Respect: +3
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2023, 09:40:02 PM »
+2