Author Topic: Adhesive advice  (Read 853 times)

mike_lawyer

• Crew
  • Respect: +163
Adhesive advice
« on: June 25, 2023, 07:50:34 PM »
I am currently working on installing tortoise switch machine throw wires.  I have built my layout on 3 inch foam base over 1/2 inch plywood.  After trial and error, I decided to use a method of installing 1 mm inside diameter brass tube that runs from tie level through the insulation and through the plywood.  This will house the piano throw bar wire.  Here is a link with a diagram:

http://www.trainweb.org/SunriseDivision/handouts/Mounting_Tortoise_Motors.pdf

To glue the brass tube, I need a strong adhesive to apply at tie level and under the plywood table.  I have tried using liquid nails, bit that sometimes has given out.  Any recommendations?  Maybe a fast setting epoxy of some sort?  Any recommendations are appreciated.

Mike

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1357
Re: Adhesive advice
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 08:11:19 PM »
I did this type of linkage for my servos.  I used liquid nails for the brass tube:  there is almost no force on the brass tube so it is hard to imagine it failing. 

PRB

• Respect: +4
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2023, 09:27:55 PM »
I have a similar setup, with one difference.

I drill a thru hole for the actuator (about the inside diameter of the brass tube).
Then enlarge the hole for the brass tube only through the foam.  That way the  tube
will not fall thru and just a touch of glue will hold it in place.

It's been working well me.

mike_lawyer

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2023, 11:49:40 AM »
I have a similar setup, with one difference.

I drill a thru hole for the actuator (about the inside diameter of the brass tube).
Then enlarge the hole for the brass tube only through the foam.  That way the  tube
will not fall thru and just a touch of glue will hold it in place.

It's been working well me.

What do you use to connect the piano wire that runs up through the foam with the tortoise throwbar? I need to figure out what material to use.

Scottl

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2023, 12:10:12 PM »
I bend the wire in the tube directly so there is almost no vertical movement.  It would be possible to bend the wire below the tube to connect to the Tortoise in vertical position without a linkage, and I *think* it would work in the horizontal position as well.  A linkage will just add slop to the movement IMO.

mike_lawyer

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2023, 09:39:39 PM »
I bend the wire in the tube directly so there is almost no vertical movement.  It would be possible to bend the wire below the tube to connect to the Tortoise in vertical position without a linkage, and I *think* it would work in the horizontal position as well.  A linkage will just add slop to the movement IMO.

What I meant is in the diagram at the link, after you bend the piano wire below the table at the tube, what do you use to "connect" the tortoise piano wire arm to the piano wire from the tube?  Would styrene tube work?

Scottl

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2023, 11:38:17 PM »
What I meant is in the diagram at the link, after you bend the piano wire below the table at the tube, what do you use to "connect" the tortoise piano wire arm to the piano wire from the tube?  Would styrene tube work?

You could use something like that, but I would just use a longer wire and run it into the Tortoise.