Author Topic: Weekend Update 3/12/23  (Read 5098 times)

StewRRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
Re: Weekend Update 3/12/23
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2023, 08:02:15 AM »
+17
This has been sitting on the bench for a few months.  John designed this and Bob kindly printed the tower for me. 

I wanted to create the feel of a non longer in service but too big/expensive to tear down coaling tower. A few pictures from the web and a bunch of parts from the spare box and here we have....

I need to figure out a plan to weather the concrete out and some rust around the steel.

GhengisKong

• Crew
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2023, 08:15:03 AM »
This has been sitting on the bench for a few months.  John designed this and Bob kindly printed the tower for me. 

I wanted to create the feel of a non longer in service but too big/expensive to tear down coaling tower. A few pictures from the web and a bunch of parts from the spare box and here we have....

I need to figure out a plan to weather the concrete out and some rust around the steel.

The plywood cover for the doorway is a nice touch!

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4669
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2023, 08:36:08 AM »
+17
My printer is back in operation and producing favorable results again. The first print effort after repair were two pieces of RBB&B circus equipment, dining tent wagon #5 and big top pole wagon #43. The dining wagon is perfect, and the pole wagon needs some additional build support on the frame over the wheels to eliminate some minor distortion.

The next effort was the latest attempt of the O&W caboose body. Perfect print results with no anomalies, but some minor design issues remain. The lanterns snap off easily and need some beefing up of the mounts. The clearance for the 0201 LEDs is really tight, so I need to expand the opening from the interior, or square it off. And the roofwalk supports are a little shallow. But these are the best results I’ve gotten in a while. All the wood slat and lantern relief is crisp.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2677
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2023, 02:13:28 PM »
+18
More testing of the environment.

Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1198
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2023, 08:50:01 PM »
+13
I had a great day touring the Grafton & Upton locomotive shop this morning.  I am seriously impressed with the skill, dedication and professionalism of the shop team at the G&U.  In addition to other big projects, they are doing significant repair work on two of the Housatonic RR's locomotives.  I will do more of a write up with photos, but here are a couple of teaser shots of the HRRC GP35 #3604 in the shop today.  (Posted with permission)
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 09:22:22 PM by Pomperaugrr »

CNR5529

• Crew
  • Respect: +647
    • My Shapeways Store
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2023, 10:12:52 PM »
+9
Its been a little while since I was able to do anything productive hobby wise, as I have been extremely busy with work for the the last 4 months. That said, today was a a great day! I headed over to @craigolio1's place to help him get the final bits of wiring and a few other tasks done on a series of FreemoN modules he has been working on, so they can be operational for our club's first public show in 3 years (the Doubleheaders Layout tour in Kitchener, in a few weeks). Now 12 feet of Lake Cowichan module will be able to join along with his Rutherford Creek module. We managed to get trains running by the end of the afternoon, which was a big win! Next up the group will torture test the module set at the show before Craig proceeds with any scenery work.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 10:15:44 PM by CNR5529 »
Because why not...

Ted Thorson

• Crew
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2023, 10:30:57 PM »
+1
That railbus is extraordinary.  :o

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1707
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2023, 11:56:46 PM »
Its been a little while since I was able to do anything productive hobby wise, as I have been extremely busy with work for the the last 4 months. That said, today was a a great day! I headed over to @craigolio1's place to help him get the final bits of wiring and a few other tasks done on a series of FreemoN modules he has been working on, so they can be operational for our club's first public show in 3 years (the Doubleheaders Layout tour in Kitchener, in a few weeks). Now 12 feet of Lake Cowichan module will be able to join along with his Rutherford Creek module. We managed to get trains running by the end of the afternoon, which was a big win! Next up the group will torture test the module set at the show before Craig proceeds with any scenery work.

(Attachment Link)

It was a great time! We crushed it today!! 

Craig

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1399
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2023, 12:16:11 AM »
+2
StewRRfan:  The NS (N&W) has one at Prichard, WV, between Kenova and Williamson.  Just as you said, to big and expensive to tear down, and the mainline goes under it, so there it stands, a home for the pigeons.

I've sometimes wondered why they don't rent it out as a cellphone tower.
N Kalanaga
Be well

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +3140
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2023, 07:36:35 AM »
+2

Oh wow .. that was beta model V-0.1 -- you did a good job with adding details .. as far as weathering .. the model of the Renovo PA tower is probably a good example of how these weather ..  aged concrete and some weather powders ..

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +3140
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2023, 07:44:03 AM »
+1
And for a useless piece of trivia, I want to let you know that as someone who learned English as an adult I can say that puns are one of the hardest things to learn.  I still don't get some of them, but this one was easy.     :)

Pete - you do OK with English - half the people in the US seem to be 1st generation from somewhere else these days and that's not a bad thing, provided they did it the correct way.  It's always easier to learn a language when young -

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5075
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2023, 10:37:09 AM »
+1

Pete - you do OK with English - half the people in the US seem to be 1st generation from somewhere else these days and that's not a bad thing, provided they did it the correct way.  It's always easier to learn a language when young -

Thanks John.
Yes, I think I'm doing okay (sometimes maybe even better than some native English speakers), but like I mentioned for a fun fact, not coming into the language and culture at birth, puns were some of the more difficult things to grasp.  But I'm sure even some native English speakers have problems understanding or appreciating some puns.
. . . 42 . . .

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8848
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2023, 01:26:26 PM »
+1

bigdawgks

• Crew
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2023, 01:31:41 PM »
+17
After a long intermission I have finally completed my REA B74b horse car.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6800
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2023, 02:15:39 PM »
+15
Video test to demonstrate the Gyra Lights that I installed in the light fixture over the cab on this Seaboard Air Line SDP35.  I had to cut up the clear headlights/numberboards light tube to control the lights independently and without light leaking into the cab.  I remapped the decoder, so that the regular (upper) Gyra Light is lit when the locomotive is moving forward.  When the engine is stopped or in reverse, the red (lower) Gyra Light is on.

The plan is to apply some clear orange paint to tone down the “blueish” tint of the regular Gyra Light.  I might even apply a fourth coat of clear red paint to the red Gyra Light.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!