Author Topic: Weekend Update 4/3/22  (Read 3174 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9117
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Weekend Update 4/3/22
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2022, 05:46:46 PM »
What font did you use?

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3523
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2022, 06:06:41 PM »
+10
Slow and steady wins the race, right ?  Started next wall section.  This can't get finished soon enough, I want to build back my railroad

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1741
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2022, 06:33:02 PM »
+7
Time for an update on this effort, more at:  https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=52093.msg738866#msg738866

Cheers,
Ed

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3712
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2022, 06:58:22 PM »
+8
Took a break from layout work this week for a little modelling.

Prior to building the sides for my ex-Milwaukee work coaches, I wanted to work out how to do the ribbed sides for one of them, so built a small test section:

I also added floor stringers, additional brake detail and trainline to one of my scratchbuilt woodchip cars:

I am hoping to qualify for the NMRA's Car Builders Certificate which requires four scratchbuilt cars to be judged, so hopefully these additions will improve my score.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6800
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2022, 07:10:53 PM »
+18
I built this mini-scene this weekend, complete with an ancient plastic garage model that got a complete facelift and a 1980s-era Coke machine.  I still need to touch up around the foundation, but the grout and ground foam are still wet.

More on The Carolina Sandhills Lines thread in the Layout Engineering Forum.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +891
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2022, 09:35:41 AM »
+1
What font did you use?

@Ed Kapuscinski ugh, looks like Excel fell back on Verdana...   I had a decent font for previous geeps, but it must have been wiped out with a hard drive crash.

Time to dig on https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

Frank

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9117
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2022, 09:38:53 AM »
+1
@Ed Kapuscinski ugh, looks like Excel fell back on Verdana...   I had a decent font for previous geeps, but it must have been wiped out with a hard drive crash.

Time to dig on https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

Frank

I love that site!

You know about Railfonts, right? http://railfonts.com/
You might also want to dig into the Train Sim world, they struggle with the same problems (but it's even worse for them).

I've gotten quite good at nailing printed dimensions for stuff using Indesign. I can make a PDF of what you need if you figure it out for you.

https://conrail1285.com/n-scale-atlas-number-board-dimensions/

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +1266
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2022, 09:40:57 AM »
missed the "narrow gauge" statement.  :facepalm:
Bingo.  I call 1:300 scale "M scale" since 1mm=(roughly) 1 foot, and the T-gauge wide-sleeper track makes a good 3-foot NG track.  TBH, 1:300 is a little more forgiving for usable interior space for mechanisms and details as well.  Most of the usable micro-motors are 3mm wide, so scale hood width in 1:450 is really tough...although I have a prototype worm drive loco (GP38) that is to scale, with the motor hunkered down in the frame area.  My focus is on the power pickup and truck design currently, but once I get this it will open up a lot of possibilities.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 09:45:13 AM by Jesse6669 »

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1198
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2022, 10:22:22 AM »
+20
I did some work along the banks of the Housatonic River in the New Milford section of my layout last evening. These are the initial layers of scenery. There is more to go and I will airbrush some areas to deepen the color or highlight areas that need it, to tie it all together at the end. I will need lots of Super Trees eventually, but for now, my re-worked, cheap Ebay Chinees trees will have to suffice.
​​​​​​​ [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2236
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2022, 10:40:38 AM »
Slow and steady wins the race, right ?  Started next wall section.  This can't get finished soon enough, I want to build back my railroad

OMG, that beams me back to about 1978 when I was helping a friend build his basement layout and we had to design around the septic line and the cleanout.   It ended up literally at eye level above the track, with a hidden panel, but you couldn't drown out the racket.

We made a fully removable module there, and had to name it.   I searched the Official Guide and came up with it - "Falling Waters, WV" and so it was.

Years later I ended up with the same situation in a house, this time it ended up in my wife's craft room rather than my train room.  I designed EVERYTHING to be removable (cleanout plug was inside a fake cabinet) including the countertop and under-counter cabinets on rollers.  The willow tree in the back yard eventually became my mortal enemy, and designing for the inevitable mess paid off nicely.  I suggest designing for a 30-gallon plastic garbage can to fit right under in those situations....and enough clearance for the roto-rooter rig.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 10:49:47 AM by randgust »

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2279
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2022, 06:34:13 PM »
+2
I did some work along the banks of the Housatonic River in the New Milford section of my layout last evening. These are the initial layers of scenery. There is more to go and I will airbrush some areas to deepen the color or highlight areas that need it, to tie it all together at the end. I will need lots of Super Trees eventually, but for now, my re-worked, cheap Ebay Chinees trees will have to suffice.
​​​​​​​ (Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

That water and shore line looks real .

Richie Dost

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2022, 09:39:20 PM »
I feel like I need to up my tetanus and Hep B just to look at this photo!
[/quote]

I kind of felt the same after taking the [Amtrak] Cal Zephyr? in '02 from SF to Chicago via stop in Denver.

Many many towns/ cities have horrible rr facing detritus and just overgrown filth and degrading/ derelict structures and 'dumps'.
Really the country needs to recycle and replace stuff, or just tear it down. Just because you have space doesn't mean you should leave it there to rot away. I read recently that oil wells, mines and GKWE have the same problem, turn your back and ignore seems to be the policy.
Anyway, great pic!