Author Topic: new Kato N scale SD40-2  (Read 2236 times)

Albert in N

• Crew
  • Respect: +132
new Kato N scale SD40-2
« on: July 01, 2021, 02:45:08 PM »
 :)  Couldn't resist ordering one; it arrived yesterday!  It runs great on DC and speed wise runs in between Kato U30C and Kato whiteface BN SD40-2 from over 10 years ago.  Man, it is nice!!  I have not yet installed MTL 2004-1 couplers but looks like loosen clip, change out, and reinstall Kato coupler clip.  Recalling my past proto type rail fanning, I always liked the old Frisco/ QA&P railroad taken over by BN in 1980.  BN also used this line when their Estelline Texas to Lubbock Texas line was sidelined for repairs (like the 1973 Quitaque Texas tunnel derailment).  BN abandoned the old QA&P branch line from Paducah Texas to Lubbock back in 1982.  Late 1981, I remember seeing a medium length freight pulled by a BN SD40-2 with caboose on rear near Paducah Texas.  That was the last train that I saw there before BN removed the track.

Frisco GP38s on line connecting to QA&P taken by me back in early 1970s prior to BN take over.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9008
    • Conrail 1285
Re: new Kato N scale SD40-2
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 05:10:30 PM »
+3
As a BN fan, you only need another 100 or so of em, right?

Albert in N

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 05:36:24 PM »
 :)  Good point!  Along with other railroads here in "fly over" country, branch lines get my attention.   Unfortunately many of those tracks have disappeared along with roadnames.

Albert in N

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 09:33:02 PM »
+4
 ;)  My thoughts are that running trains is fun.  A small hollow core door layout covered with tinted carpet and use of Kato Unitrack, Woodland Scenics "mountains", plastic buildings, and Classic Metal Works vehicles is OK.  Ready to run locomotives and train cars are fine with me.  I have built past conventional plaster over screen wire and also styrofoam scenery layouts with ballasted track, but dust is the enemy of my old age with asthma.  Thus, I now have a smaller easy to clear off and vacuum layout in part of the spare room.  Limited time due to lawn, house chores, and other competing things reduce train time.  But, I take even a few minutes (or more when I can) to tinker with my N scale trains.  Once in a while I take photos of real trains (railfan activity) but sadly the variety of locomotives, railroad companies, branch lines, cabooses, and low railroad security are things of the past from my perspective.  A common (in 1970s) locomotive like this Kato BN SD40-2  and Atlas caboose bring back past good memories.  Thankfully my vision is sharp after cataract surgery (no restrictions on driver's license), so running N scale  trains remains relaxing.  If you have limitations, do what you can to run trains.  This is fun and relaxing.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1617
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 09:48:18 PM »
As a BN fan, you only need another 100 or so of em, right?

They were the largest original purchaser with nearly 700 units, if I recall correctly, but that swelled with mergers.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 12:43:09 AM »

They were the largest original purchaser with nearly 700 units, if I recall correctly, but that swelled with mergers.

835 prior to the BNSF merger, and of those, only 10 came from Frisco

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +483
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2021, 08:25:36 AM »
Wait a tick, ditch lights on a BN unit?
Buffering...

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9008
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2021, 02:45:44 PM »
+1
I wouldn't complain. It's a lot easier to remove ditch lights than to add them!

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
  • Respect: +391
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2021, 01:24:28 AM »
The little version appear to be the earlier ones, the version Kato represents looks to be later.

The "little version" is likely strobes, (EDIT: Referring to "Xenon Strobes", mounted on the porch where ditchlights ultimately would be mounted) which BN was starting to utilize before the ditchlight mandate came down.  From what I recall, they weren't on constantly, only cycling along with the horn.   I remember them mostly on the LMX units.

It also seemed to me that ditchlight adoption by BN was much faster than late 90s.  I would have said the majority of the fleet was equipped by 1994 or 1995.   I probably wouldn't be terribly surprised to be proven wrong though.   I believe the deadline was 1997 but I know how those things work with railroads....always with the extensions and exceptions.

AZL has SD40-2's coming out soon, likely in 2022.   I've campaigned for ditchlights, and AZL is touting an amazing amount of detail variations...almost Scale Trains-like.   So I do hope to see them, as my 2006-era would be all-in for ditchlights.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 11:58:50 AM by Rivet Miscounter »
Doug

Albert in N

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2021, 11:50:28 AM »
 8)  Here are three photos of BN strobe lights that I took in 1975.  Since parked, the lights are off.

This shows that the new Kato SD40-2 ditch lights are dimmer than the headlight.  Pardon the photo quality but hard to take a picture of a running N scale Kato diesel indoors with a cheap digital camera.  Anyway, the ditch lights will stay and I will not remove them and add ornamental detail strobe light and firecracker antenna.  Thanks for looking!

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
  • Respect: +391
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2021, 11:57:16 AM »
8)  Here are three photos of BN strobe lights that I took in 1975.  Since parked, the lights are off.

Sorry, I should have clarified.  The strobes I am referring to were "Xenon Strobes" and mounted in pairs at the same basic location that ditchlights ultimately would be located. (front porch)    The Xenon strobes started appearing in the mid/late 1980's.
Doug

Albert in N

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2021, 08:58:47 PM »
 :D  Doug, you were clear on the strobe ditch lights.  Somehow I had forgotten about those since I did not see many of those on local branch line service on BN/FW&D/C&S or Santa Fe in the Lubbock area.  I did not make my move to DFW metroplex until 1990 which was during the time of vanishing cabooses and ditch lights added to locomotives.  Looking back to the early 1990s, I recall the many model train shows in the DFW area.  Now, about the only one left is the Plano (Texas) train show, but a good one.  I missed both of the 2020 shows due to Covid precautions. With luck, I may see you at the next one.  Have a Happy July 4th.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 09:00:29 PM by Albert in N »