Author Topic: BLIs upcoming N scale locomotive releases  (Read 9068 times)

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +592
Re: BLIs upcoming N scale locomotive releases
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2021, 12:12:17 PM »
Atsfnscalemodels.com does these, they fit on a slightly modified Atlas Alco Century C628 or C630 mechanism. You will get a accurate Santa Fe model.
Link https://atsfnscalemodels.com/projects/rsd-15,%20rsd-7.html

It's one of Dirks creations

Very cool kit, but not for the faint hearted (involves shortening the Atlas C628/630 chassis).

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8997
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2021, 12:26:40 PM »
I could care less about an S2, or a Q, or any of that big and relatively rare stuff.

But the Pennsy had over 2000 H's.
They had close to 600 I1s.

This should be a no brainer.

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2021, 01:04:32 PM »
I know this is not a popular subject in N Scale (given nobody today have a Vandy in his catalog!!) BUT I buy it only if they will provide a VANDERBILT Tender alternative too :)
I model the Espee but will be good also for B&O and ... others.

I'm a B&O modeler so I love a good Vanderbilt but the problem is, no two roads used the same design so a generic Vanderbilt is almost as bad as no Vanderbilt. As for B&O, the only accurate Vanderbilt is the Dimitrains kit that ConCor adopted. C&O is fairly well covered with the 2 that Bachmann has done. Not sure the prototype on the Model Power Vanderbilt. The older Bachmann often stuck behind their 4-8-4 and Reading 2-8-2 I think is a SP stand in.
Tony Hines

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2021, 01:47:45 PM »
As for B&O, the only accurate Vanderbilt is the Dimitrains kit that ConCor adopted.

Has anyone reached out to Tichy to see if they still have this tooling (Tichy acquired Dimi-Trains).

https://www.tichytraingroup.com/ContactUs.aspx

Mark

babbo_enzo

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
    • Experience IT!
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2021, 01:55:56 PM »
I'm a B&O modeler so I love a good Vanderbilt but the problem is, no two roads used the same design so a generic Vanderbilt is almost as bad as no Vanderbilt.
Agree BUT also an USRA Pacific or a Mike have same problem ... so Modify - Cut&Paste - Add details is something "we" are used!
Better than "no steam at all"?

As for B&O, the only accurate Vanderbilt is the Dimitrains kit that ConCor adopted.
[size=78%]Now dead except in some alternate dimension (ebay rare)![/size]
C&O is fairly well covered with the 2 that Bachmann has done. [/size]The older Bachmann often stuck behind their 4-8-4 and Reading 2-8-2 I think is a SP stand in.[size=78%]
[/size][size=78%]Unfortunately at bachmann "parts" no one is available in last 2 years.[/size]
Not sure the prototype on the Model Power Vanderbilt.
Me too, but ... I've some behind a steam :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 01:59:42 PM by babbo_enzo »

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1616
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2021, 01:57:42 PM »
Has anyone reached out to Tichy to see if they still have this tooling (Tichy acquired Dimi-Trains).

Mark

If anyone needs one, I've got an unused one.     ***Spoken for, sold and delivered.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 06:34:57 PM by wazzou »
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Tom Todd

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2021, 03:26:33 PM »
Bryan, PM sent.
Tom
Go Great; Go Great Northern

Or SP&S

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1080
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2021, 04:02:41 PM »
Atsfnscalemodels.com does these, they fit on a slightly modified Atlas Alco Century C628 or C630 mechanism. You will get a accurate Santa Fe model.
Link https://atsfnscalemodels.com/projects/rsd-15,%20rsd-7.html

It's one of Dirks creations
I have very much enjoyed working on some of Dirk's kits.  I intend to do more.  But I don't have the budget, the time or the skill to custom build a zebra striped anything with dcc and sound.  Plus, given my planned layout's focus on passenger ops, RSD-7s are not something I "need" - I have plenty of FTs, GPs and H16-44s to move the freight trains I intend to run.  But it would be something I would consider if I could pick them up "off the shelf".

But if you build one, please do show pics.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +403
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2021, 05:02:24 PM »
I have very much enjoyed working on some of Dirk's kits.  I intend to do more.  But I don't have the budget, the time or the skill to custom build a zebra striped anything with dcc and sound.  Plus, given my planned layout's focus on passenger ops, RSD-7s are not something I "need" - I have plenty of FTs, GPs and H16-44s to move the freight trains I intend to run.  But it would be something I would consider if I could pick them up "off the shelf".

But if you build one, please do show pics.
Hi Thomas,
I plan on getting one of each later on in the year (I have budget considerations too!) If BLI bring the out I'll just get one of theirs. I may only put DCC in Dirks ones, I'm trying to limit the number of sound loco's due to the noise levels.(this may sound weird but I'm an old fart and don't like too much noise)

prr7161

• Crew
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2021, 07:01:37 PM »
I could care less about an S2, or a Q, or any of that big and relatively rare stuff.

But the Pennsy had over 2000 H's.
They had close to 600 I1s.

This should be a no brainer.

Personally I mostly agree, but that is prototype modeler thinking.  Big steam sells.  I predict a Q before an H.  As it happens, I could actually use a Q2 (but just one, as opposed to a passel of Consols).  I do think and hope an I1s will be out sooner than either, though.
Angela Sutton

The Mon Valley in N Scale

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5202
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2021, 07:07:14 PM »
+1

"Could" or "couldn't" Ed?  If you "could care less" that means you do still care about those.    ;)
. . . 42 . . .

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2021, 09:38:36 PM »
I do think and hope an I1s will be out sooner than either, though.

I'd say the odds are good https://www.broadway-limited.com/paragon2prri1sa-2.aspx

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1616
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2021, 09:51:20 PM »
"Could" or "couldn't" Ed?  If you "could care less" that means you do still care about those.    ;)

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=50712.msg685120#msg685120

:D
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

pmpexpress

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • Trains N Scale
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2021, 06:14:55 AM »
+1

Mark

Like the rotary snow plow tender, the Dimi Trains Vanderbilt was manufactured by Rivarossi.

After Rivarossi closed shop, the tooling for the aforementioned products was acquired by Hornby.

A splendid N-Scale distributor that I once had the pleasure of dealing with (i.e., when I owned several brick and mortar hobby shops), Dimi Trains was shuttered after its owner passed away.

While Tichy acquired the tooling for the gondola and MOW cars, the signal tower, and the water tank, the Dimi Trains trade name and any remaining unrelated inventory were not.

Mark5

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2021, 08:52:36 AM »
Like the rotary snow plow tender, the Dimi Trains Vanderbilt was manufactured by Rivarossi.

After Rivarossi closed shop, the tooling for the aforementioned products was acquired by Hornby.

A splendid N-Scale distributor that I once had the pleasure of dealing with (i.e., when I owned several brick and mortar hobby shops), Dimi Trains was shuttered after its owner passed away.

While Tichy acquired the tooling for the gondola and MOW cars, the signal tower, and the water tank, the Dimi Trains trade name and any remaining unrelated inventory were not.

'Tis a shame - we'll probably never see them again.  :| Thanks for the insight!

Mark