Author Topic: How has Kato never done The City of New Orleans?  (Read 6776 times)

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6800
Re: How has Kato never done The City of New Orleans?
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2020, 07:22:33 PM »
+1
I know that paint scheme!

:D :D :D

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +518
Time to build the City of New Orleans
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2022, 10:13:16 PM »
Going to dig this one back up, been thinking about building passenger trains again, now that my "close enough" North Coast Limited is finished, I've decided to tackle the city of New orleans. I really like the way the Illinois Central trains generally look. And the City of New Orleans is definitely an icon.

So I think I'm going to start buying Illinois Central Rolling Stock and see if I can get it done. Once I've acquired a few things I may start a new thread. It looks like a pretty straightforward consists, with a majority of the Rolling stock available, and good enough as is.

http://www.trainweb.org/fredatsf/IC-city.htm

Also, if anybody has leads on Illinois Central coaches and such let me know LOL

Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2022, 12:07:20 PM »
    The history of Orange & Brown IC trains in N Scale/ Gauge goes back to the Con Cor Limited Edition set in the brown box labeled "Panama Limited". Orange and Brown IC E-8-9 locomotives, since there were no correct smooth side Pullman's for this train Con Cor used coaches with sleeping car names applied. Fast forward a few years Con Cor began offering Open Stock cars and E Units in the IC Orange and Brown scheme with improved graphics on cars including the GN prototype dome coach which could pass for the former MP Budd dome coaches the IC acquired if you pained out some of the dome windows to represent the plating IC applied to those cars blanking some dome windows. Now we get to KATO , Their Orange and Brown IC sets are nicely decorated, but are generic at best the PS observation car is a close match to the two Panama Limited cars. "Stream Style Graphics" once offered decals for the distinctive lighted Panama Limited signs that were on the sides of the curved end of those cars, but by the time I went to order this decal set Stream Style was out of business. Various manufactures have done IC E Units , Life Like , Con Cor, Kato that I can think of. Passenger cars in the Orange and Brown scheme include Con Cor, KATO ,Walthers , now Rail Smith. If you want to model a real "City of New Orleans" model the Amtrak (Quack) Super Liner Train. Nate Goodman. (Nato). Salt Lake.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2022, 02:26:09 PM »
Kato is going to make what Kato wants to make.  I don’t think that they care at all what other manufacturers have done.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

greenwizard88

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2022, 12:57:23 AM »
+1
I'd love to see a City of New Orleans. Aside from the rather mundane cars, it's probably the most iconic named train ever thanks to Willie Nelson and Arlo Guthrie. I saw Arlo Guthrie in concert back in 2005, and was slightly bummed out that he didn't play it.

Mike, please keep us updated. I anxiously await the day you get your last car, so I can buy a Kato set  ;)