Author Topic: How has Kato never done The City of New Orleans?  (Read 6773 times)

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +168
Re: How has Kato never done The City of New Orleans?
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2020, 05:58:09 PM »
I've told them the same thing about the Sam Houston Zephyr.  If they would just swap the RPO for a coach and change a little lettering they could have a 2nd train to sell.

I think they have the tooling to do the Zephyr Rocket too, don't they?

prr7161

• Crew
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2020, 06:31:15 PM »
+1
I hope one day on of the B&O name trains floats onto the list - 1938 Capitol Limited, which had EA's with the silver flare up front, or maybe the lightweight Columbian with the Sky Dome / High Dome cars.  The Cap would probably require a good bit of specialty passenger car tooling, tho.
Angela Sutton

The Mon Valley in N Scale

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +385
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2020, 06:52:59 PM »
+1
It is too bad that Kato is the logical company to do the Burlington Twin Cities Zephyrs....
.....because any other company would tool the Wabash Blue Bird along with it as the truck cutouts and position of the baggage  door are the differences between the two trains.   But Tokyo looks at every project as a stand alone venture and doesn’t figure in including alternate tooling to get more products to market.
The Wabash E7 would be a whole new deal...as the NYC unit won’t do and new tooling would be needed.  Others might have done it as a new product line given the wide variety of roads that had them....even UP!!
Charlie Vlk

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2020, 10:27:33 AM »
+1
It is too bad that Kato is the logical company to do the Burlington Twin Cities Zephyrs....
.....because any other company would tool the Wabash Blue Bird along with it as the truck cutouts and position of the baggage  door are the differences between the two trains.   But Tokyo looks at every project as a stand alone venture and doesn’t figure in including alternate tooling to get more products to market.
The Wabash E7 would be a whole new deal...as the NYC unit won’t do and new tooling would be needed.  Others might have done it as a new product line given the wide variety of roads that had them....even UP!!
Charlie Vlk

"Interim" Twin Cities Zephyr with existing Kato cars here:

https://www.model160.com/n-scale-news-blog/kato-budd-passengers-cars-revisited/

The photo shows a pair of E7's, but I assume that a pair of stock E5A's would be OK.

BobRunty

• Crew
  • Respect: +49
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2020, 10:51:27 AM »
Not a Wabash modeler, but would love to see the Bluebird. My uncle was killed in Feb. of ‘63 when his pickup was hit by the Bluebird. I was only three at the time, but it was during a bad snowstorm. He drove a plow truck for the township and had just left their garage to check on road conditions. The garage was located adjacent to the tracks and with a sharp left turn to cross them. Probably had other things on his mind and never saw it as he turned left to cross the tracks.
Not sure what the speed limit for them was, but my small home town was located on a nice straight tangent of track so I’m sure they were in max territory. I remember those trains seeming to fly when they tore through. Made quite an impression on a young boy.

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1181
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2020, 11:18:26 AM »
Not a Wabash modeler, but would love to see the Bluebird.

Good seeing people take interest in subjects matters outside their modelling focus.   :)

My uncle was killed in Feb. of ‘63 when his pickup was hit by the Bluebird.

:(

Quite the turn there.
-Al

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2020, 12:27:12 PM »
Kato already has the dome car for the Bluebird - there's 3 of the original 6 car set.  :D

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +6311
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2020, 01:28:58 PM »
+5
City of New Orleans would be easy.  You'd only need to add 2 conductors and 25 sacks of mail...

A. Guthrie
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1631
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2020, 01:31:33 PM »
If you are OK with "Panama Limited" rather than "Illinois Central"

https://intermountain-railway.com/distrib/ccs/html/ccs7510.htm

The IM version and the Kato version have slightly differing geometry to their tails.  I like the more squared off look of the Kato.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

gelboy45

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2020, 06:42:43 PM »

And why not the 1947 GM 'The Train of Tomorrow'?

This amazing train featured a customised blue E7 with fluted stainless steel sides and a star shaped shield each side of the body together with a 4 car matching consist of Pullman Standard uniquely fluted blue and silver Astra Dome cars. A dome chair car followed by a dome diner, a dome sleeper and a dome observation. 

The train toured the country and was then bought by the UP in 1950, painted yellow and gray and then toured the system before  being placed in pool service with GN and NP in Portland-Seattle service until the late 50s.

The train was featured on the cover of January 1979 TRAINS Magazine with a drawing inside. There is also a comprehensive book dedicated to the train by The Ogden Union Station Foundation and Ric Morgan published by Indiana University Press 2007.

Surely this must tick ALL Kato's boxes.......

In hope

Gerry

Would like a Wabash Bluebird too!

greenwizard88

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2020, 07:03:48 PM »
I'd buy a bluebird, and a City of New Orleans. Despite the fact that I don't model either railroad.

They also have more than enough tooling to do any variation of the Amtrak Silver Series trains, from the 1990's til today. Heck, the Southern dining car they have tooled up became one of the Amtrak heritage diners. I have one I need to decal for Amtrak, if I can get it done by Christmas expect Kato to announce an Amtrak train early next year :p

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +518
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2020, 08:26:30 PM »
Heck, the Southern dining car they have tooled up

:? :? :? :? :?

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2020, 11:37:35 PM »
I've told them the same thing about the Sam Houston Zephyr.  If they would just swap the RPO for a coach and change a little lettering they could have a 2nd train to sell.

I think they have the tooling to do the Zephyr Rocket too, don't they?

Zephyr Rocket had rebuilt 8-1-3 (Zephyr Tower and Rocket Tower) and 10-3 (Minneapolis and Cedar Rapids) that are nothing like anything Kato offers

http://ndem.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3595328

I can't find a picture of the 10-3

MRLX1020

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2020, 12:07:12 AM »
+3
City of New Orleans would be easy.  You'd only need to add 2 conductors and 25 sacks of mail...

A. Guthrie

It's actually Steve Goodman...