Author Topic: Scribbins "The 400 Story" different printings?  (Read 1854 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1202
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Scribbins "The 400 Story" different printings?
« on: May 20, 2020, 02:57:23 PM »
I'm looking at picking "The 400 Story" by Jim Scribbins and wondering if there is any differences between the 1982 hard cover and 2008 printing soft cover.  I'm partial to getting a hard cover if I can find one the good shape, but buying the new soft cover is click and done.

Anyone have this book and know if there are any differences?

Thanks,

Jason

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1144
Re: Scribbins "The 400 Story" different printings?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 07:20:33 PM »
Based off the other University of Minnesota press books I own (Frank Kings Missabe & logging books) It should be pretty much the same as the original.
Printing & photo reproduction should be better quality vs 1982 however.
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 11:25:49 AM »
Add the winner is -

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I was leaning towards the soft cover until a saw the pictures of the hard cover with the pages open.  Something triggered in me to get the hard cover.

But the real winner is me because I bought three other CNW passenger car books in the proccess.  :D

Jason

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1144
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 12:45:23 PM »
Nice! Its funny how books do that  ;)

Reminds me I need to pick up a couple more bookcases for the "train" room... Should probably give up on this model railroad thing and admit my book problem.  :facepalm: :D
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 03:22:18 PM »
Between my books and magazines I need some sort of shelving too.  Early into the stay at home I did the IKEA planner to see what I could come up with.

I think that will hold everything but I'm not sure.

Jason

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 03:42:17 PM »
I started buying mostly electric railroad books when I was 12 in the mid 70s. Every time I move the boxes get heavier.
I just bought the new Fort Dodge book.

Randy

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +358
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 05:37:39 PM »
Add the winner is -

(Attachment Link)

I was leaning towards the soft cover until a saw the pictures of the hard cover with the pages open.  Something triggered in me to get the hard cover.

But the real winner is me because I bought three other CNW passenger car books in the proccess.  :D

Jason

So ... what were the other three C&NW passenger car books? And do you recommend them?

I have "Chicago & North Western Passenger Train Equipment" (TLC Publishing) and "Chicago & North Western Passenger Trains of the 400 Fleet" (Iconografix).

Jim

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 05:42:57 PM »
So ... what were the other three C&NW passenger car books? And do you recommend them?

I have "Chicago & North Western Passenger Train Equipment" (TLC Publishing) and "Chicago & North Western Passenger Trains of the 400 Fleet" (Iconografix).

Those two plus the other Dorin one that goes with the Train Equipment book - "Passenger Service the Post War Years" also TLC Pub.

I haven't read all of them yet, but I've yet to meet a Dorin book that wasn't good.  :)

Jason

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5632
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 05:51:04 PM »
I recently got a book on the Bradford, Bordell & Kinzua narrow gauge in PA and started reading. Mentioned a monorail railroad in Bradford, PA. Now I just bought a book on that railroad. A monorail that only operated for 6 months, had 3 locomotives, 2nd one derailed, 3rd blew up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford_and_Foster_Brook_Railway
http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/bradford/bradford.htm

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 06:00:29 PM »
All four of these books were purchased because I recently bought the Pullman Standard Library No. 9 C&NW.  :D

I'm sure there's a lesson to be learned here somewhere, but it's totally lost on me.

Jason

MVW

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 06:05:10 PM »
Those two plus the other Dorin one that goes with the Train Equipment book - "Passenger Service the Post War Years" also TLC Pub.

I haven't read all of them yet, but I've yet to meet a Dorin book that wasn't good.  :)

Jason

Yep. Forgot that book. Got that one, as well. All worthwhile. And I agree regarding Dorin.

Thanks for the response, Jason! Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a good book.  :D

Been thinking about picking up Vol. 2 of the C&NW Color Guide.

Similar to your OP, I somehow ended up with hardcover and softcover editions of Dorin's "C&NW Power." Had to gift one to a brother.

Jim

MVW

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2020, 06:07:04 PM »
All four of these books were purchased because I recently bought the Pullman Standard Library No. 9 C&NW.  :D

I'm sure there's a lesson to be learned here somewhere, but it's totally lost on me.

Jason

I've been tempted by that! Is it all mechanical drawings, or are there plenty of photos for reference?

Jim

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 06:09:16 PM »

Been thinking about picking up Vol. 2 of the C&NW Color Guide.

I think I have that one via a Christmas or birthday list.  I really liked volume one except that it was the death of any M&St.L equipment book.

Jason

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 06:15:04 PM »
I've been tempted by that! Is it all mechanical drawings, or are there plenty of photos for reference?

Jim

Photos too.  Interior, trucks etc..  Bonus for me was the CGW baggage cars that Walthers did.  The back has a listing of the car numbers and what plans they are.  There's also one page with the car listings of the "New" 400s when they went into service.  I've watched for this book off and on for several years.  I found one in excellent shape for $25 and pulled the trigger.

Jason

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1450
    • Modutrak
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2020, 10:55:35 PM »
Rookie...  :D

Also, you can get 6 rows of Morning Sun height books in those tall IKEA shelves. FYI.