Author Topic: Delivering next generation Acela  (Read 3170 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5221
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Delivering next generation Acela
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2020, 01:04:04 AM »
+2

Even that one is easier on the eyes than the new Acela.
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1427
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2020, 01:47:45 AM »
How about this one?  The 1942 Talgo prototype:
https://imgur.com/6jZ1Wsa

Various descriptions I've seen online include "catfish-looking thing", "an eel that swallowed a Buick", and "a caterpillar".  This thing is ugly enough that I wouldn't mind having one.

A little off-topic, but the Atlas "kids line", battery-powered HO, has a passenger train loosely based on the Acela.  One of the model magazines reviewed it.  Just glancing at it, to me, it looked more like a version of the Talgo.  The Atlas cars have two axles each, unlike the Talgo, but it looks more like a Talgo than the Acela.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 01:53:00 AM by nkalanaga »
N Kalanaga
Be well

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2020, 02:03:39 AM »

Various descriptions I've seen online include "catfish-looking thing", "an eel that swallowed a Buick", and "a caterpillar".  This thing is ugly enough that I wouldn't mind having one.

Yes, not very elegant, but at least the curvature of the front car/locomotive matches the rest of the consist  :)
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2020, 02:49:20 AM »
True, but that's about all I can say for the styling.

At least the "Amtubes" had an excuse.  For budget reasons, they were basically de-motored Metroliners.  To me, they didn't look any worse than the old heavyweight passenger cars, and for a similar reason.  They were designed for function, not styling, and were intended to be pulled by whatever was available.  They were never intended to match the locomotives, unlike the new Acelas. 

I agree, if one is designing a train, not just a car or locomotive, the whole thing should match.
N Kalanaga
Be well

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2020, 03:53:16 AM »
At least the "Amtubes" had an excuse.  For budget reasons, they were basically de-motored Metroliners.  To me, they didn't look any worse than the old heavyweight passenger cars, and for a similar reason.  They were designed for function, not styling, and were intended to be pulled by whatever was available.  They were never intended to match the locomotives, unlike the new Acelas. 

I actually like the Amfleet car styling (especially in the Phase III scheme).  They rounded shape reminds me of an airliner fuselage (American Airlines jets at that time also has bare-metal fuselage with the patriotic re/white/blue cheatline).  Very elegant IOM.  I miss those simple airliner liveries compared to some of the crazy stuff the have on jetliners nowadays.  But I digress . . .
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2020, 01:59:08 PM »
I didn't mind them either, as they don't look bad, although I saw very few in service.  By the time they were common, we were in Kentucky, and not near a passenger route.  The Amfleet I cars were around before then, but not on the Empire Builder.  They looked a little odd mixed with older equipment, but no more so than heavyweight/streamlined mixes, which the SP&S ran until Amtrak took over.
N Kalanaga
Be well

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +526
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2020, 02:58:09 PM »
At the absolute minimum, Why couldn't they have made blisters for the sides of the locomotives to make them match the coaches.....

I mean if they are going to base it on the TGV, they should take more hints from the TGV.
I mean, I assume they mean that it uses the Avelia Horizon as the basis for this new trainset, but jesus, this is bad.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avelia_Horizon

The other thing I can't wrap my head around, Why do we (as in Americans) always insist on making our own version of something that works elsewhere? Why not just use the off the shelf TGV or ICE design, and make whatever electrical and safety changes, rather than make this mess?

EDIT:
It looks like the coaches might be based on TGV, but, to me the locos look more like these Talgos:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVE_Class_102
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 03:00:48 PM by delamaize »
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9008
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2020, 03:16:05 PM »
The other thing I can't wrap my head around, Why do we (as in Americans) always insist on making our own version of something that works elsewhere? Why not just use the off the shelf TGV or ICE design, and make whatever electrical and safety changes, rather than make this mess?

Because USA! USA! USA!

AlwaysSolutions

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2020, 08:34:39 PM »
+1
I thought some fancy moldings could be bolted on to the loco to blend it in but nope.  It looks even worse from the back side:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Cringe.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2020, 09:08:17 PM »

A little off-topic, but the Atlas "kids line", battery-powered HO, has a passenger train loosely based on the Acela.  One of the model magazines reviewed it.  Just glancing at it, to me, it looked more like a version of the Talgo.  The Atlas cars have two axles each, unlike the Talgo, but it looks more like a Talgo than the Acela.

Makes me think of a F-102!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2020, 10:16:30 PM »
Makes me think of a F-102!

Or of a SR-71.

. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2020, 02:32:00 AM »
+1
Mike:  Part of the reason we redesign everything is that our safety standards are different, at the basic levels.  And that, in turn, derives from different design standards.  Most European equipment is still designed based on  their coupler design, which used the center screw-link for pulling, and the buffers for pushing.  When pushing, or in a collision, the forces are transmitted through the side sills.

We, on the other hand, both push and pull with a single, center coupler, usually through the center sill, and the sides serve little purpose.  So, our safety standards are based around that. 

The other difference is that our freight trains are much heavier than the usual European trains, and our collision standards are based on impacts between those.  A European passenger train, hitting, or being hit by, one of our freights, would simply disintegrate.  Unless they've changed their standards in the last 20 years or so, our train would probably split theirs in two, lengthwise, with massive loss of life.
N Kalanaga
Be well

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2020, 10:55:48 AM »
Or of a SR-71.

Now that is just wrong!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2394
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2020, 11:02:54 AM »
Mike:  Part of the reason we redesign everything is that our safety standards are different, at the basic levels. ...

Also... Euro, Japanese and Chinese track and infrastructure, especially those supporting high-speed trains, meet a much higher standard of construction and maintenance than we are willing to fund here. Their lightweight designs would not survive the beating they would take on our network of highly variable quality.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +595
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2020, 11:21:16 AM »
Or of a SR-71.

If they could make high speed trains come anywhere near the SR-71's speed, we would really revolutionize the passenger rail industry!  (But grade crossings would get real interesting!  :scared: