Author Topic: A Teaser (for trucks) from Trainworx  (Read 6740 times)

cfritschle

• Crew
  • Respect: +293
    • N Scale Vehicle Association
A Teaser (for trucks) from Trainworx
« on: August 04, 2017, 08:53:14 AM »
Here is this morning's email from Pat:

"NEW SERIES
"LEGENDS OF THE ROAD"

(Not required reading)

These are the trucks that make you say, "If I drove a truck, that's the one I want to drive."  The trucks in this series will have flash and class and will be recognizable to all of you truck lovers. Each announcement will tell a little about the trucks and the men and women that own, drive, build and love these trucks.  This series is dedicated to those men and women.  Look for the first N scale announcement early next week.

At your service,
Pat Sanders"

I am definitely going to checking for the announcement next Monday!
Carter

N Scale Vehicle Association
"For the modeler and collector of 1:160 scale model vehicles and equipment"
http://nscalevehicles.org/

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +2109
    • Skally Line Blog
Re: A Teaser (for trucks) from Trainworx
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 09:14:19 AM »
+1
It is nice to start off the day with a good news email like that.
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1427
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 02:52:53 AM »
I assume truck modelers/collectors have magazines and forums, and that TW is advertising there.  These should sell well to more than model railroaders, which would be good for both Pat's bottom line and our chances of getting more new styles.
N Kalanaga
Be well

cfritschle

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 11:38:47 PM »
I assume truck modelers/collectors have magazines and forums, and that TW is advertising there.  These should sell well to more than model railroaders, which would be good for both Pat's bottom line and our chances of getting more new styles.

Hank's Truck Forum covers almost all things trucking.  http://hankstruckforum.com/htforum/index.php

However, I usually see requests for Pat to make these trucks in one of the larger scales.

But, I am hoping a few are starting to make the switch to collecting 1:160 scale trucks as well.   ;)
Carter

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1427
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 01:27:08 AM »
If nothing else, one could have more trucks if one collected N scale...

Maybe a truck collection IN a truck's sleeper?  I suspect some of the drivers live in their trucks, since some of the larger sleepers are equipped at least as well as a small RV.

I wonder if the owners of trucks modeled by Trainworx get a free model?
N Kalanaga
Be well

cfritschle

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 08:43:49 AM »
And here is the announcement:

"LEGENDS OF THE ROAD"

Tri State Commodities believes that customers deserve on time quality service, and dong this takes the right people and the right equipment. 

Jack Shupe started Tri State Commodities of Greely Colorado in 1971.  Jack's sons Gregg and Grant are part owners and have been with the company since high school in the late 70s.  Gregg and Grant's wives and children work at the Shupe family owned and operated business.  Many of the Tri State drivers have been making on time deliveries for the company for decades and have their names painted on the door of the trucks they drive.

Tri State has a fleet of nearly 50 trucks and none of them are new, (you won't see any DEF at this facility).  They were pulling a W900a into the shop for an oil change while I was there and it had high door handles which puts it into the 1960s to very early 1970s vintage.  The shop is a busy place building trucks from the frame up and keeping the fleet in top condition.  The fleet is comprised of roughly 96% Kenworth W900s, (saw a Pete 379 there and another 379 was on the road). All of the Tri State trucks are set up to get deliveries done on time with big power coming from Cat or Cummins.  These trucks all have personality and even have individual names on the back of the cab or sleeper.  Greg Shupe has custom built and restored 6 different A model W900s. 

"Toads Pad" started out as a 1982 W900A.  Greg stretched the frame and added a smooth riding air suspension.  Power was upgraded to a 525 horse N14 Cummins and a Roadranger 18 speed transmission.  A new aerodyne sleeper was coupled to the original cab so that modern air ride cab suspension could be utilized underneath.  A custom new Burgundy interior was added to the inside of the cab and sleeper. The truck is finished in a custom orange and white Midnight Sun paint job with lots of chrome, graphics and pin striping.

"American Graffiti"  Is another early 80's W900A.  Greg also custom built and restored this truck from the frame up in the Tri State shop.  Power comes from a 525 hp N14 Cummins and is transferred through a 15 speed Roadranger transmission.  The original 60" flat top sleeper was coupled to the cab and a cab air suspension was added as well as a new sound deadening interior for driver comfort.  The familiar Tri State custom Midnight Sun paint scheme was applied as well as graphics and pin stripping.  Greg finished the truck with new chrome stacks, bumper and air cleaners.

Both of these trucks are show trucks but you won't find them at a show; these are daily drivers and the best place to find them is on the road.  It is my pleasure to recognize the Shupe family and the men and women at Tri State Commodities by bringing to N scale these "LEGENDS OF THE ROAD".

Trainworx is pleased to announce to N scale
Toads Pad with Dry bulk trailer #25
American Graffiti with grain trailer #213

Please see the color flyer for details at the following link:

http://www.train-worx.com/17-8tristate.pdf

At your service,
Pat Sanders

There was a typo in the year for the Toads Pad Kenworth W900a that I corrected.
Carter

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +245
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 09:14:43 AM »
 :D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 06:14:06 PM by ljudice »

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +378
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 09:32:22 AM »
What's the vintage of the grain trailer again?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +2109
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 11:02:17 AM »
+3
Very nice, but $64.95?????

I wish people would quit complaining about the price on these. First off, that is MSRP, not what most of us will end up paying. Secondly, quality has a cost. If you don't like it, fine. Don't buy it. Go get a cheap Atlas or Kato semi instead.
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +245
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 11:49:49 AM »
+1
I wish people would quit complaining about the price on these. First off, that is MSRP, not what most of us will end up paying. Secondly, quality has a cost. If you don't like it, fine. Don't buy it. Go get a cheap Atlas or Kato semi instead.

First of all, knowing Pat, I am sure they will be worth every penny...

I actually am planning in a truck stop scene SPECIFICALLY to take advantage of these (and Showcase) trucks. To be honest, since they came out, I've started looking at prototype trucks more closely.

But I still think they are rather expensive....
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:52:41 AM by ljudice »

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +378
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 12:55:04 PM »
+2

Additionally, and this would be more for everyday model railroaders, these special run trucks are aimed towards truck collectors more than anyone else, and they fund development of the plain-Jane trucks and parts that modelers can use.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

cfritschle

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 01:38:22 PM »
What's the vintage of the grain trailer again?

Bryan,

I have not yet been able to get an exact date for the introduction of this style of grain trailer, but based on my memory,  it is "too new" for the 1970s.  I loaded a lot of trailers with wheat and onions in the 1970s, and all of them had corrugated metal sides, but the corrugations had the appearance of vertical posts.   

Edit:  Maybe it can be made to work for the 1970s.  The model is based on a Timpte trailer, and it looks like similar Timpte trailers date back to around 1970.  http://www.timpte.com/history.html

The trailer will also work for a Wilson prototype.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 01:51:58 PM by cfritschle »
Carter

Nick Lorusso

• Crew
  • Lets see what I'm modeling this week
  • Respect: +118
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 03:21:36 PM »
These are modern era trucks & trailers. W900 KW & 389 Pete
Regards,
Nick Lorusso
https://sbhrs.wildapricot.org/

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +114
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 03:52:57 PM »
Definitely sweet looking trucks, but I'm not sure I can justify them on my layout for the locale. I guess I'll stew over it a couple days.

Chris
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +595
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 04:24:26 PM »
Similar to what others have said - there is a market for these (I am not a part of that market).

I don't have a problem with this, as hopefully this will help make the more "generic" releases of the trucks (I am waiting on the K100 VIT) available for "the masses". ;)

And more trailers! :lol:

Mark