Author Topic: paint question  (Read 944 times)

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +902
    • My blog
paint question
« on: June 06, 2015, 08:37:25 PM »
I live in a rural area, the nearest hobby shop is a Michaels 30 miles away. I get paint when I go to California to visit family. I have a turntable pit to paint, what acrylic paint would you use for concrete?

nsbob

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
Re: paint question
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 09:40:29 PM »
If you have a Walmart close by, most of them have a pretty good selection of 2 ounce bottles of acrylic paint in their craft section.  You should be able to experiment mixing tan and gray to get very close to the color you're looking for.

Doc Frankenfield

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 10:26:25 PM »
the small craft colors work great, get a tannish grey and then some rust and black for weathering, dry brush the latter volors

johnb

• Crew
  • Respect: +902
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 10:54:32 PM »
the small craft colors work great, get a tannish grey and then some rust and black for weathering, dry brush the latter volors
kinda what I was thinking, but also thinking about how old concrete yellows

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1409
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 12:53:05 AM »
For old yellowish concrete I used a color labeled "sandstone".  Since every brand is different, the best thing to do is find a picture of what you want and take it to the store with you.  Most craft paints I've seen have either a clear bottle or a paint sample on the lid, s matching isn't too difficult.

Since concrete also ages differently in different regions, and with different aggregate, matching a picture will also ensure that your concrete is suitable for your location and era.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1143
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 11:42:47 AM »
I'll throw in my suggestion to look at the primers in the automotive section, there isnt much worry about obscuring detail on a turntable pit, and the added texture from a spray bomb will help with the concrete effect...
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface: