Author Topic: Havoc hits layout and rolling stock  (Read 2519 times)

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
Havoc hits layout and rolling stock
« on: June 01, 2015, 01:10:35 PM »
My two year old somehow got loose and reeked havoc on my layout and some very expensive rolling stock.  I think it is time to pack it and/or sell it all.  This has been very demotivating.  I can't decide what is worse the thought of packing it all up or sitting here and looking at it. :facepalm:
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: Havoc hits layout and rolling stock
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 01:49:43 PM »
This happens.  Fix what you can.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1630
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 01:51:29 PM »
and we're not fixing it why?

I've got 3 kids aged 6 and under.  Even under my supervision they sometimes drop stuff.  Kids like to hold things.  Get him/her and old Atlas or Bachmann car or two - superglue the truck king pins in and call it theirs.  then hand it to them each time they go near the trains.

And write back with more details so we can collectively grok how and what to start with in the repair-a-polooza of 2015!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1852
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 01:59:57 PM »
Whatever you do,
I would wait about 3 days, just to get to where you can rationally think about what you want to do
without the mental turmoil of the damage that just happened.   I know from my own experience
that trying to recover by rapidly repairing damage when you're in that mental state can lead to
more frustration.  And making a decision about packing it all up or selling it all is not a decision to be
made right away either.

I truly am sorry for you.  I am sure it is enormously disheartening.  It will look different and in a few days,
I bet you will think differently about the whole situation, so my advice is to secure it from any further
damage, but don't do anything for a few days.

victor miranda

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 02:06:47 PM »
most kids have names like Jimmy or Melissa.
is Havoc a boy or a girl?

If you think Havoc as broken out this time, just wait 'til she gets her first broom.

I suggest you pack the more valuable things and buy some b-mann projects.
and since you seem to have a little one who wants to play with you,
you will have to ...allow... for it.

a couple of more years and maybe a locked door will make things easier.

Having tried both paths
I strongly push that you do not sell it all.
you will regret it.

I like Max's advice also.

victor

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 03:42:21 PM »
I appreciate the responses. What is broken is not repairable. Total loss unfortunately. The room is normally locked.  I am not even going to get into what caused it to go locked for a short amount of time! 
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2243
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 04:12:13 PM »
Do what W.C.Fields suggests . Put the kid in a 55 gal drum and punch some holes in the lid . When the age of 18 is reached , plug up the holes .

Richie Dost

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1286
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 04:17:31 PM »
Photos Brian, photos.

We all been there. I have two rather curious huskies. If you think kids are bad with trains...

What exactly was broken?
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +203
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 05:47:06 PM »
I have two sons and they have broken a few things but nothing close to what you describe. I try to look at things from their point of view....they are "playing", no malice or intent to harm.
The reaction from me is the most important part of the situation and will make all the difference in the future. I stay calm and show them how to handle delicate items correctly. I know that doesn't pertain to your situation since it was an unattended "godzilla" type situation. My sons are 9 and 10 and have much N scale in their collection with very few casualties.
I hope things work out for you!

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 05:56:32 PM »
Well, the good news is that you didn't blame the two year for it and take it out on him/her.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5121
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 05:58:16 PM »
Sorry to hear about your misfortune Brian.  But leaving the hobby after one incident seems to me a bit drastic.

If you decide to stick with N scale trains, there is one positive thing about this experience:  Things like this are bound to happen again (no matter how careful you are).  Children and pets (there currently is a thread about that type of carnage) will wreak havoc in your hobbies from time to time.  But now the total number of these incidents which will happen in your life is minus one (as one just occurred).  ;)

As Monty Python said:  Always look at the bright side of life!
. . . 42 . . .

Doug G.

• Crew
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 06:54:15 PM »
Everything is fixable. If man made it, man can fix it.

Doug
Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1069
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 08:44:20 PM »
First and foremost,praise the Lord that the child was not injured- did not drink the paint, swallow little brass parts, etc.

I hate to ask this, but as someone who might have a 2 year old grandchild one of these days, I am wondering about the details of how the child got to where he or she could wreak such havoc.  The lowpoint on my layout is 42" off the floor, and anchored fairly well, and I suppose I would need to childproof my lower storage shelves, but I am hard pressed to think of how a 2 year old would be able to do much damage (a six year old, 17 year old, 31 year old, yes, but a 2 year old?).  Reading your description, I KNOW I am missing something.  My previous layout survived 2 children without much problem, other than the usual derailments around curves from running trains too fast.  Which is what those old Minitrix passenger cars are for.

Take photos, put them in a scrapbook along with a description, and hide the scrapbook away for 25 years.  Leave it lying around after Havoc gets that 6 figure salary as a computer design engineer or brain surgeon, and you really want a brass loco for Christmas.

Everything is fixable. If man made it, man can fix it.

How would you like to buy my old farmhouse?....
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 08:55:49 PM »
This has been very demotivating.

That's what kids are for.  :RUEffinKiddingMe:  :D :facepalm:

But then, the next day they'll be amazing and wonderful and you'll forget all about the trains.

What you now have is a 4-5 year period running your "B Team" on the layout so that if stuff happens it's not such a blow.   Less layout time, more projects in locked plastic tubs stored up high.   More learning opportunities. (for all involved)   Blow off steam here, that's cool.   But know you're among  "experienced" fellow model railroader parents.   Something similar has probably happened to us all at some point.  Deep breath, reorg to protect all involved, smile, and find new and different ways to enjoy the hobby until junior is old enough to understand being careful and respectul of property.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Loren Perry

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 09:08:24 PM »
My sincerest condolences on the loss of so much of your layout. I an only imagine the heartache you're feeling.

My layout room has a sliding access door that is always closed, even when I'm in the room. Reason: we have four happy and playful cats.

One day one of our youngest cats, an all-black female, somehow slipped in unnoticed - Ninja-like - as I was outside in the hallway after leaving the door partially open. When I returned, I was horrified to find her carefully walking along the top of the layout (48 inches off the floor), following the track's right-of-way, down highways, through railyards, or any other clear space she could fit in. She was simply sightseeing. I was seized with a sense of extreme panic, but somehow held back and slowly approached my little explorer as she quietly moved between fully strung telephone poles, trees, and industrial smokestacks. She was twisting and turning her body with great skill to avoid objects and placed her feet with incredible precision as she proceeded. I knew if I reacted the wrong way and startled her, she'd run and jump, destroying anything in her path. But she looked at me standing there calmly, seeing her friend, and carefully picked her way toward me until I was able to gently pick her up and set her down outside the room on the hallway floor.

Total damage: two derailed boxcars and an automobile pushed slightly aside. No breakage anywhere. An amazing feat of dexterity for this curious little feline.

Later, I picked her up and carried her around the layout for an "aerial tour" of the whole railroad, just to satisfy her curiosity. I did this with the other cats, too. Now I make doubly sure the door is closed at all times, no matter how short of a time I'm going to be away.

As for children, I often have parents bring their munchkins over for a visit. Many have to be lifted up by a parent to see the layout. I keep a few older railcars and obsolete dummy diesel locomotives, and even plastic houses on hand for them to hold and handle to their hearts' content. Kids have an overpowering need to touch and this satisfies the need without risking the better stuff. I also have a surplus collection of colorful but unneeded N-scale trucks so I can give one away to an appreciative youngster as a souvenir of their visit.

Someone else before me suggested a "cooling off period" to allow the emotions to settle. I strongly second the motion. In my past, I've crashed beautiful scale R/C aircraft I've built and the feelings were similar to what you're going through now. But after letting the broken plane sit unmolested for a week or so, I was able to approach the repair job with a fresh purpose of mind and managed to complete the rebuilding successfully over a month or two. There would have been no way I could do this in the hours or even a day or two after the accident.

I wish you peace and strength and hope you find the power in yourself to rebuild. Whatever you do, don't give up this wonderful hobby.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:12:47 PM by Loren Perry »