Author Topic: First taste of MTL SW1500  (Read 45008 times)

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
Re: First taste of MTL SW1500
« Reply #240 on: June 29, 2014, 06:22:58 PM »
Pete, I was thinking the very same thing.  :|

Jon

From my experience, the round LED's tend to be directional emitting most of their light in a forward direction, while the square LED's emit a brighter light in a wider pattern.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5098
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #241 on: June 29, 2014, 06:47:25 PM »

As for the hood being 6 scale inches too wide... is that so an N scale motor could fit? I really wouldn't want an N scale model to have a Z scale motor in it. I'm thinking, very little pulling power. What if the z scale motor could haul only 2 or 3 cars? Riots in the streets!

Not quite. The motor is a standard N scale motor which is narrow enough for scale width hood.  But the way LifeLike model was designed, there is a plastic motor cradle which extends outside of the motor frame.  This is a legacy of the original design.  There are many N scale locos which are designed not to use this type of a cradle with thus type of a motor. I have shown multiple examples (from Spookshow's site) in an earlier post in this thread. If MT designed their chassis from scratch (even using the same motor with a new cradle), the hood could have been made narrower.  Yes I know, the cost would have been higher.
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #242 on: June 29, 2014, 06:52:11 PM »
From my experience, the round LED's tend to be directional emitting most of their light in a forward direction, while the square LED's emit a brighter light in a wider pattern.

Ok, but it is not the best design. The father away the "light pipe" or the headlight itself is so far away (and an an angle) from the light source is, the dimmer the headlight will be.
. . . 42 . . .

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +721
« Reply #243 on: June 29, 2014, 06:55:22 PM »
Um, the product was in hand which is how I came across the headlight issue. Is asking questions considered criticism?

The headlight issue is a very real issue for the hobby shop owner since he has to sell these to people who will care.

Scott Lupia

I was just asking, not meaning to imply anything. Glad someone has been able to see one in person, which I won't be able to do unless Caboose Hobbies has a few left sitting next week when I am in Denver.

The headlight thing is puzzling, but I bet all the "deficiencies" being pointed out relate to the cost to produce. MT after all, had to be able to sell these to the masses, most of whom probably are easier to please than some of TRW more observant modelers.

If you want an SW1500 this is probably your chance to buy one to run in our oversized rails in highly compressed scenes. It's about how much compromise you want to tolerate.
Peter Pfotenhauer

johnh35

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #244 on: June 29, 2014, 07:49:31 PM »
The biggest fault I find with it are those crap wipers carried over from the LL SW9. Really? We couldn't do something different there? I can live with the wide hood and the lack of cab rear lights, but those wipers have always been a problem and though I know the fix, at this price I expect something to be right. I will probably buy one, albeit begrudgingly.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5621
« Reply #245 on: June 29, 2014, 08:33:22 PM »
How did MTL get those chassis of a loco that it seems Walther's has giving up on?

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #246 on: June 29, 2014, 08:39:44 PM »
How did MTL get those chassis of a loco that it seems Walther's has giving up on?

Walthers just recently came out with another run of SW1200s. M.B. Klein still has some:

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/N-Scale-SW9-1200-Locomotives-s/3401.htm

Hmm... I wonder if I
could buy a few using
termites instead of cash...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #247 on: June 29, 2014, 09:44:01 PM »
Walthers just recently came out with another run of SW1200s. M.B. Klein still has some:

I wonder if that run was related to the MT release of SW1500....
. . . 42 . . .

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1950
    • My website
« Reply #248 on: June 29, 2014, 09:56:10 PM »
Those of you that are talking about the different kinds of peeps here on TRW, I think you left off one category.

The folks who know the shortcomings of a loco and then show everybody how to improve it.

Several folks here have done a wonderful job of this.  It is one of the things I especially like about discussion boards.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +982
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #249 on: June 29, 2014, 10:46:41 PM »
I wonder if that run was related to the MT release of SW1500....

No.. But I believe Walther's Proclamation that the SW1200 was "DCC Friendly" was related to the SW1500 development (Before the SW1500 was announced...) and we all laughed..!!..  :trollface:

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1613
« Reply #250 on: June 29, 2014, 11:15:31 PM »
I believe, in my mind that MT weighed internally, what was important to some and not to others with respect to potential sales and rolled the dice. 
It's no secret that this was a much desired model and they sought to strike while the iron was hot but IMO failed to "go all the way"
I think if MT had designed new truck side frames with roller bearings, engineered more reliable electrical contacts, lit headlights at both ends and given the illusion of the prototype's sill height above the trucks in addition to closer prototype wheel diameters, it would be receiving accolades rather than having stones cast at it. 
I think they could have accomplished so much more than they have and/or will with this model but instead, have stepped on their Dicks, so to speak.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Teditor

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #251 on: June 29, 2014, 11:46:17 PM »
They got the writing on the cab in the wrong place on the prototype, it should be under the line like the model, can't NS get anything right?

Scott Lupia

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
« Reply #252 on: June 29, 2014, 11:48:13 PM »
Those of you that are talking about the different kinds of peeps here on TRW, I think you left off one category.

The folks who know the shortcomings of a loco and then show everybody how to improve it.

Excellent point.  While I have voiced my concern over the shortcomings of this model I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to make a decent model out of it.  I did it with the Intermountain SD45-2's and have done more with less in the past.  I am just not sure to model my way out of the hood width issue.  It is noticeable to me.  This engine doesn't fit my modeling era but I got my hands on one just because I wanted to see where I could take it.  Challenges are fun and without them we never improve our skills.

Scott Lupia
"All I wanted was a Pepsi"

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5621
« Reply #253 on: June 29, 2014, 11:51:08 PM »
So what was the history of the Walther's model?  I remember they were going to have all sorts of improvements (or at least they were announced that way) and it never happened. Were they canceled or were they just made exactly like the old ones? New jewel case  :trollface:  I can't remember.

Guess they got brass worms in 2012: http://www.spookshow.net/llsw.html
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 11:56:24 PM by Chris333 »

Teditor

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #254 on: June 29, 2014, 11:59:05 PM »
I'm surprised the authenticity of the couplers hasn't been questioned!