Author Topic: Weekend Update 12/15/13  (Read 13369 times)

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1398
Re: Weekend Update 12/15/13
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2013, 09:14:02 PM »
Great start Ian!

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2802
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2013, 10:58:29 PM »
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +166
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2013, 11:24:11 PM »
Great start Ian!

Thanks for getting me started.

Worked on a full cab A6-E as well. The speeders should all be pretty easy. I may need to import them into shapeways from Tinker CAD to get some better pollygons on the curves, unless you know how to do that.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 11:34:28 PM by Ian MacMillan »
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5223
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2013, 03:10:49 AM »
Jesus Kim Jong Christ.... that is jaw dropping beautiful! There is nothing. I mean nothing that indicates that is a model. The windshield glass is perfect, the paint flawless The wheels appear to be made of unicorn tears and magic.

Thanks Daniel! I was hoping to make that model as realistic as I could - from your comment I think that I did ok.  :)  The smaller the model, the harder it is to make it realistic because of physical limitations of the materials used in the model.  1:43 scale is probably the smallest scale where it is possible achieve the realism. At least it is for me.  BTW, the Mass. veteran license plates are photos of actual license plates (reduced in size). The very last addition of the model was the inspection sticker on the windshield.

BTW, many of the photos were stacks combined with Helicon focus. I also had to retouch couple of pesky halos.  I think that the large depth of field greatly enhances the realism of the model.

Hey Peteski, tell us more about the paintjob on that! Using nail polish is not something I've encountered before.

Actually, there are quite a few car modelers who use nail polish for painting the bodies. There is a huge range of colors available, and they are relatively inexpensive.  My am secure enough in my manliness to feel comfortable picking through nail polishes.  :D I usually shop the nail polish section of the grocery or drug store, or a beauty supply shop with my GF. She actually picks some of the colors for me.

As far as the technique goes, nail polish is simply a organic-solvent  based lacquer. Similar to the automotive paints.  It is designed for brush-painting, is it is rather thick. But if you have some custom automotive color mixed in a auto-body supply shop, the paint they make for you is also thick.   I thin nail polishes with lacquer thinner for airbrushing. I can't give you the exact ratio, but it is around 50/50 paint/thinner. The lacquer is "hot" so a styrene body needs to be primed first. Again, similar to using automotive paints on plastic models.

When are you modeling an N scale version?   :trollface:

Outstanding work!  8)

Thanks Bryan!
When? As soon as I can get my hands on that Marks Metalclassics model mentioned by sirenwerks!   :trollface:  But I can't make it as realistic looking as the 1:43 scale model.  :D

Pete , your tires are over inflated .

Good catch!
Actually, those are Good Year Polyglas tires (not radials), and I do have them overinflated because the car is going into storage for the Winter. I don't want them to end up with flat spots...   ;)

I also have to say that there is a lot of excellent modeling in this update (from everybody)!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 03:12:29 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9212
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2013, 11:13:33 AM »
Three different models of PRR's Lewistown station.  Doesn't get much better than that!

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1640
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2013, 11:33:09 AM »
Three different models of PRR's Lewistown station.  Doesn't get much better than that!

Agreed.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +803
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2013, 01:27:18 PM »
I'm thinking A10 WARTHOG

No doubt that it is non other than an A-10. The aileron location along with the engine pylons gives it away. Good going John!
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

mightypurdue22

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2013, 02:09:27 PM »
I've been working this past week on an extension of my current hollow core door layout...

With hopes of providing better operations with more industry.  Also provides me more yard space for switching.

Dave

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1640
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2013, 02:25:18 PM »
Dave,
Very nice.  I think we agre getting a core of HCD adherents around here, pushing the boundaries of that layout type.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +6374
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2013, 02:53:11 PM »
I'd recommend you keep one of the original loop tracks to form a wye.  It will help you turn trains going into and out of the yard to go in both directions.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2013, 02:59:37 PM »
I'd also make the bottom switch on the yard on the HCD a left-hand instead of a right hand to avoid the S-curve there,

Phil
- Phil

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7026
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2013, 03:19:14 PM »
I'd recommend you keep one of the original loop tracks to form a wye.  It will help you turn trains going into and out of the yard to go in both directions.

Agreed.

I'd also make the bottom switch on the yard on the HCD a left-hand instead of a right hand to avoid the S-curve there,

I'd go further and flip a few switches around to smooth out the yard area.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6800
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2013, 04:18:14 PM »

Dave,

I'll go out on a limb and say that I think your plan may be becoming a spaghetti bowl.  The track to scenery ratio is high.  Don't be discouraged, though, because this is a trap that many of us have fallen into.

If, however, you're okay with that, then I will add that I agree with the comments about the wye and reversing a few turnouts to smooth things out.

Hope this helps,
DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7026
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2013, 05:30:14 PM »
I'll go out on a limb and say that I think your plan may be becoming a spaghetti bowl.  The track to scenery ratio is high.  Don't be discouraged, though, because this is a trap that many of us have fallen into.

One way to fight this is to put the extension on a diet...

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +3220
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
No doubt that it is non other than an A-10. The aileron location along with the engine pylons gives it away. Good going John!

we have a whole squadron up here in Middle River .. @ Martin State :)