Author Topic: Why add DCC decoder to Atlas Track Cleaning car?  (Read 7143 times)

cokeslinger

• Respect: 0
Re: Why add DCC decoder to Atlas Track Cleaning car?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 12:55:34 PM »
a digitrax dz 125 works well no trimming

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +623
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 02:09:18 PM »
Stu, I looked at one of the dcc conversions with posted photos which I located with a search via Google.
It is from Ron Bearden, if I understand is notes, the decoder he selected was too tall.
What is the decoder option that would need no trimming?
Thanks.

This one?

http://www.tcsdcc.com/public_html/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/N_Scale/Atlas/Trainmaster/Trainmaster%20AMD1%20(2).pdf

These are the instructions that I followed, right down to the M1 decoder. They were very simple to follow, and easily accomplished by anyone with basic soldering skills. No trimming of the M1 was required, just the stock light board.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 05:39:29 AM »
Thanks, it appears that Ron Bearden has at least two sets of instructions for installing a DCC decoder in the cleaning car.
The set that describes the steps for the Atlas Track Cleaning Car include the explanation that removing the screw that holds the right end
truck allows the roof of that long section to be lifted off.   Thanks again for the help.

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2020, 12:28:04 PM »
Does anyone have a copy of Ron Bearden's installation instructions that used to be on the TCS website?  The purched all old content a while ago when they redid their web site.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +527
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2020, 12:56:10 PM »
Not Ron’s but might be useful
Steve

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3673
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2020, 01:19:14 PM »
I just purchased one of these and it is on its way to me.  In addition to the DCC conversion, can anyone suggest a truck and coupler conversion for it?

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2381
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2020, 02:28:57 PM »
... can anyone suggest a truck and coupler conversion for it?

Because of the pickup situation I gave up on trying to convert the trucks. I'm sure it could be done, but since it's not really a model of anything I'm more or less :shoulder-shrug: about the trucks. Main concern I have there is the flanges are deep enough to rumble on Code 40 flex, and - again - the strange pickup situation works against aftermarket wheelsets.

Body-mounts like 1015s work great and the body height is spot-on (I have TSC on mine), but it requires a little internal surgery on the partition separating the frame/weight halves in order to center the screw. Also, you have to take care so the screw doesn't bridge the frame halves where it protrudes into the body.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2020, 10:01:26 AM »
Because of the pickup situation I gave up on trying to convert the trucks. I'm sure it could be done, but since it's not really a model of anything I'm more or less :shoulder-shrug: about the trucks. Main concern I have there is the flanges are deep enough to rumble on Code 40 flex, and - again - the strange pickup situation works against aftermarket wheelsets.

Body-mounts like 1015s work great and the body height is spot-on (I have TSC on mine), but it requires a little internal surgery on the partition separating the frame/weight halves in order to center the screw. Also, you have to take care so the screw doesn't bridge the frame halves where it protrudes into the body.

Thank you; didnt think about the pick-up arrangement (model hasn't arrived yet).  Body mount 1015s works for me.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1856
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2020, 04:39:43 AM »
+2
Tim, I ended up using Kato auto rack trucks in my car.  Inexplicably, these trucks are equipped with pick-up strips and the extended truck-mount couplers are a good match to the track-cleaning car, in case you don't wish to bother with body mounting.  This gave me both knuckle couplers and wheels that would track through my hand-laid turnouts more smoothly.  The stock wheels on the car have a pretty narrow back-to-back gauge.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2381
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2020, 09:49:10 AM »
>... Inexplicably, ...

Understatement. Why would an auto rack have a need for pickup strips? Especially if it was carrying cars (instead of pickups)? [ba-dump-dump tschhhhh]

Puzzlement - the OEM pickup system has springs in lieu of the sprung contact strips we find on locos. The springs certainly confound disassembly and reassembly. How did you get the Kato trucks to work with the springs? Or did you?

Great tip, however, and I'll let the mystery of how you discovered this pass.  :D  Thanks!
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1952
    • My website
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2020, 10:09:14 AM »
When I get home, I’ll see if I have that file on my computer. 
Then I’ll post it on my website. 

Then I’ll post a link.

I usually keep old copies.  Hopefully I can find it. 

The overall procedure will be the same. 
Only difference should be decoder choice.  Lots of new options since I published that.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2020, 10:23:05 AM »
Tim, I ended up using Kato auto rack trucks in my car.  Inexplicably, these trucks are equipped with pick-up strips and the extended truck-mount couplers are a good match to the track-cleaning car, in case you don't wish to bother with body mounting.  This gave me both knuckle couplers and wheels that would track through my hand-laid turnouts more smoothly.  The stock wheels on the car have a pretty narrow back-to-back gauge.

Thank you - did you source these as separate parts or did you salvage them from a wrecked car?   8)

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +759
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2020, 10:36:18 AM »
Thank you - did you source these as separate parts or did you salvage them from a wrecked car?   8)

Tim

Click on Gary's link to see the part number.  "Kato auto rack trucks" is a link.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1856
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2020, 01:21:14 PM »
Understatement. Why would an auto rack have a need for pickup strips? Especially if it was carrying cars (instead of pickups)? [ba-dump-dump tschhhhh]

:facepalm: :D

Here's a quick shot showing the Kato trucks in my car. 

I had to make a few simple mods:
1. Ream out the bolster hole a bit to clear the stock mounting screw, otherwise the trucks don't swivel freely.
2. Trim the pickup strip centre posts enough so the car wouldn't just ride on them.
3. Replace the contact springs with larger springs to clear the larger pickup posts.  I ended up using centring springs from some old Rapido couplers.
It's pretty simple and it works very well.

BTW, the parts are in stock at the Kato parts store (p.n. 800200).  You might also be able to use passenger trucks, though the longer wheelbase may have clearance issues.

-gfh

P.S. Look at all that schmutz!  Proof that the vacuum really does something.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +860
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2020, 03:17:13 PM »
In the video, isn't the decoder inside the vacuum collection chamber? Gets pretty dirty in there on mine. Is that the only place one will fit?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 03:18:56 PM by tehachapifan »