Author Topic: The LIRR Industrial Service, Inc. shelf layout  (Read 72170 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3557
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: Resurrecting the LIRR Industrial Service, Inc. shelf layout
« Reply #225 on: June 08, 2016, 08:38:22 PM »
+4
Recent developments and sales from my shapeways shops have permitted me to design and pay for some things that have been holding up the progression of the layout:  Elevated beams/trusswork and PRR Catenary poles.

I have found a solution for both in hybrid RP/styrene and RP/etched Phosphor bronze designs.  Here are the beams (brass strip substitutes for styrene):

The design uses a symmetrical frame that sandwiches and traps a strip of styrene between them. These are 100' beams x 8.5' tall.

The Cat poles and K braces are designed for PRR 13' centers and will run the length of the elevated line approx. every 200'.  I may or may not simulate the wire, I am still working on that. the bases will have a rare earth magnet for easy removal/protection and while some have been concerned about the FUD being too brittle, I have not found this to be the case, but still care will be taken and a special box made with a sheet metal floor to keep them in.

Mass production of the poles has begun at the top are completed poles and shapeways caps and bases are on their way as I write this:

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9008
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #226 on: June 08, 2016, 09:18:51 PM »
+1
Awesome!!!

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 09, 2016, 08:17:22 PM »
Looking good!
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #228 on: June 12, 2016, 06:45:00 PM »
+1
Continued progress on the cat poles, Caps, bases and magnets added:

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #229 on: June 13, 2016, 10:56:55 AM »
Soooooo hot!!!

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #230 on: June 27, 2016, 10:05:47 PM »
+3
Next steps for the LIRR IS are huge.

Started assembling the elevated structure.  the 100' beams are made of FUD frames with K&S brass strip inserts.  The cross lacing is from the HO set of Central Valley Laced Girder bridgework.

Two or three of these 100 foot beams and there will be a girder bridge to get a siding underneath the trusses:

Now I need some support beams.  The two 100 footers will go into the opening on each side ofg the center of the support.  Running up into the gap in the corner bracing will be Central valley small laced posts:

They will be trimmed to height and sunk into holes for leveling on the layout and two piece FUD concrete bases will sandwich the posts at ground level.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #231 on: June 28, 2016, 08:10:46 AM »
Oh man, that's absolutely awesome.

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 28, 2016, 03:20:52 PM »
YES! I'm glad to see the progress!!!! Looks great!
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #233 on: July 15, 2016, 10:27:22 PM »
+3
EDIT 5/1/2023 added for posterity. I finally relocated the image that I designed these structures to follow using human proportions as a gauge to their overall size:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Some Progress on the LIRR IS.  Elevated trusses and beams are beginning assembly, heights and details need to be worked out but here are the mockups:

Beams with Pillars

View of beams and span latticework:

Another view:

End beams using keystone Details bridge shoes that will be resting on an abutment at the berm wall (see below):

Last view of mockup.  Building another set of spans as I write this.  Girder bridge is for a siding that will pass under into the city.

By the water I am planning on simulating a "west side story rumble scene" of sorts under these spans...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 07:43:43 PM by Lemosteam »

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #234 on: July 15, 2016, 10:30:59 PM »
+4
Oh and I forgot a teaser on the PRR catenary sorry for the crappy photo these will also run to the left along the elevated trusses:

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #235 on: September 23, 2016, 08:57:37 AM »
+4
I nearly have all of my elevated structure assembled and I am waiting on some Micro Engineering bridge track to arrive so I can lay track on the bridge supports.  These are shown at the far end of the picture.  The elevated structure will be built off-layout in two sections, one before the girder bridge and the second from the bridge to the wall.  I still have to figure out how to get wire hidden and down under the layout.

More importantly I have now laid my first section of track after using my DPDT switch mounts to power the frogs. Here I am using 454 glue to glue the nylon (BSF) Shapeways mounts with the DPDT switches wired and installed in the mount.

The #10 crossovers were shortened on the diverging end to achieve a prototypical track spacing long ago.

I am using the DKS two way tape method to install the track.  This is a picture after the crossover was installed. The tower on the right is now "installed" using a magnet to keep it there.  It just knocks over if accidentally hit, as will be the centenary poles in the background.  The berm wall mainline track from the berm end to the wall at the end of the extension and the LIRR IS exchange crossover and track are next, hopefully all the way down to the low bridge over the water.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6800
Re: The LIRR Industrial Service, Inc. shelf layout
« Reply #236 on: September 23, 2016, 09:52:22 AM »
 :drool:

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5640
« Reply #237 on: September 23, 2016, 02:28:56 PM »
Nice to see progress!  :lol:

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #238 on: September 24, 2016, 10:44:45 PM »
+4
First time in a long time the layout has been completely cleared off.  Let me know if you notice any awkward transitions or bad alignments.  I have been shoving an MT hopper around and through the switches- I know the real test is a loco, but I have not connected to the bus wires yet.  maybe next weekend.  A happy spot is the function of the DPDT switch mount.  it is very dependable and seems to be very durable, hopefully ther are no issues electrically.

Now that the main lines on the berm are complete as well as the LIRR IS interchange crossover and siding, I can focus on the remainder of the lower level:

I laid out most of the pre-constructed trackage in their general viciniy to look at the flex curvature i will have to deal with.  Not too bad- I did not see any really worrisome spots. Looking forward to the no-unifirmity down there as contrasted to the mainlines.

Here's a shot of the elevated track structure that will be built off-layout and installed and leveled.  Received the Micro engineering bridge track today though- I'm excited about that.

S Class

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #239 on: September 26, 2016, 10:09:22 AM »
Goddamn, time to pull my layout out and get to work.
Regards
Tony A