Author Topic: An Ode to DKS  (Read 3943 times)

LV LOU

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: An Ode to DKS
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 12:14:38 AM »
Oh, Pud, I sure wish I could go that route. But with the meds I'm on, that could be very risky. Right now I have some oxy, and 10mg every 4 hours is starting to to the trick.
Oh man,David,so sorry to hear that.I'm in recovery myself.Had a tooth giving me problems for years,got a root canal in it in April,it still wasn't right.Two weeks ago,one side of it cracked right off while I was eating,it went right through the side of my gum.Got it pulled last Monday.So,yeah,I feel for ya..Get better,bud![Everybody that knows me figures I won the bar fight,though,"Oh man,I'd hate to see the other guy"...LOL!!..]

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1718
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 04:29:02 PM »
DKS's contributions here are legendary.  It's nice of you to stand up and recognize that.  Here here.

Legendary is the right word. He has earned every bit of it and then some.

David, hope you are feeling better soon.

Ed

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5138
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 02:13:19 AM »
Well not really an ode but you'll know what I mean.

My latest article for N Scale magazine contained a track plan drawn by David K. Smith. It made my original submission look like it had been drawn by a third grader. I referenced the Railwire forum as a place to get help and had contacted David asking if he could prepare a sectional track version of my track plan in case someone asked (and possibly one with an attached yard). David did so and also gave me a flex track version in case it could be submitted on time (pre-publication layouts had already been compiled). I submitted it with the request that if it made it in on time David be credited for the drawing. Naturally he was not (will be corrected in next month's letter to the editor).

Generally I find people on model forums very helpful and willing to assist their fellow modelers.  DKS (besides obviously being very talented) is one of those helpful people. Knowing now what he went through, I hope that he gets better soon!

As far as that track plan goes, something happened over at the N-Scal Magazine because the image you posted in this thread is nice and clear (even at a fairly low resolution) while the version published in the magazine was very fuzzy.  That is kind of surprising knowing how well the original looked.
. . . 42 . . .

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2178
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 08:46:32 AM »
Got to see the NZT products firsthand at the Bedford show, and wow.... he's onto something.

I'd started a master/mold for switch machines myself for my own use and will happily abandon that project in favor of his parts.

David, you'll get through it.   The determination to resume modeling is a powerful force.

Veteran of a right-hand shattered in a snowblower, a 12' fall from a cliff, and assorted root canals...

haasmarc

• Crew
  • Respect: +739
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 01:20:10 PM »
I think working on that new coupler will make the pain go away!
Marc Haas
Keeping the Reading alive in N scale!

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 01:25:21 PM »
no...  a roadtrip to Baltimore will make it go away... :)  Lot's to see and do  :D
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +6321
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 04:25:13 PM »
There are so many things I couldn't have done had it not been for David's assistance.  He is a great modeler, a thorough thinker, and a fine friend.

I'm proud to have several DKS landmarks as a part of my layout.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 05:27:05 PM »
The NZT products are top notch as far as detail and innovation I recently purchased several and they are just what I need to complete realistic scenery the ties along the main line and signal boxes bring a scene to life and make it that much more convincing. Hope you get well soon.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5631
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 05:46:35 PM »
It's really hard to keep track of how many times David has helped me out.

The most help has been is the bazillion pages of modeling online to drool over.  :drool:

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1718
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »
I think working on that new coupler will make the pain go away!

So does that mean the pain of developing a coupler will be even worse than the oral surgery?       :scared:

Ed

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1631
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 08:47:11 AM »
It's really hard to keep track of how many times David has helped me out.

The most help has been is the bazillion pages of modeling online to drool over.  :drool:

Speaking of help, some of these in Nscale on the NZT site would make impulse shopping so much easier.  Just sayin . . .

And, while I have only met David once, I can too attest both to his modeling skills, and his genunine . . . genuineness.  Heck, if he can put up with both Lee and me in the same room, he's got to be a great guy!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 12:39:58 PM »
Speaking of help, some of these in Nscale on the NZT site would make impulse shopping so much easier.  Just sayin . . .
True Dat

Blair Lines meets NZT

edit: i just saw the DKS on the billboard....   me gusta!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 02:29:22 PM by seusscaboose »
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 01:35:33 PM »
 :|           Yes David,Thanks for all your contributions to the small scale and even smaller scales hobby.I feel your pain, had complex oral work done last summer. I wish I could have dispensed with the meds and followed Pud's advice. Nate Goodman (Nato).