Author Topic: An Ode to DKS  (Read 3942 times)

rickb773

• Crew
  • Rickb773
  • Respect: +682
    • Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines
An Ode to DKS
« on: August 24, 2012, 02:10:38 PM »
Well not really an ode but you'll know what I mean.

My latest article for N Scale magazine contained a track plan drawn by David K. Smith. It made my original submission look like it had been drawn by a third grader. I referenced the Railwire forum as a place to get help and had contacted David asking if he could prepare a sectional track version of my track plan in case someone asked (and possibly one with an attached yard). David did so and also gave me a flex track version in case it could be submitted on time (pre-publication layouts had already been compiled). I submitted it with the request that if it made it in on time David be credited for the drawing. Naturally he was not (will be corrected in next month's letter to the editor).

But what I wanted to highlight was David's spirit of helpfulness. From one of his emails: " I’m content helping out other modelers with their efforts—you join Lee Weldon, Dave Vollmer and a few others for whom I’ve contributed track plans, photos or other illustrative content. " In an age of "Look at me! Look at me!" you don't find much of that anymore. I think we sometimes overlook the treasures of people we have with that gift. David is an outstanding modeler. He could be cocky but he is not. I think Railwire has a John Armstrong of its own in David and should celebrate his attitude.

I for one, am really grateful to have him as an email friend!

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9184
Re: An Ode to DKS
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 02:17:38 PM »
 +1!

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1631
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 02:33:41 PM »
+1000
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1856
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 02:38:02 PM »
DKS's contributions here are legendary.  It's nice of you to stand up and recognize that.  Here here.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6800
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 05:01:45 PM »
+1001!

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +623
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 05:21:11 PM »
+10^100

Many thanks to DKS for the help that he's given me.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Ntrainz1

• Crew
  • Respect: +88
    • blog
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 05:27:38 PM »
+10^100

Many thanks to DKS for the help that he's given me.

Agreed.

Bob.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 05:32:33 PM »
I could not agree more; David helped me refine my upcoming modifications to my layout. He is a gentleman in an era where they are few and far between; not to mention his incredible talent. The Armstrong reference is, indeed appropriate.
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7025
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 06:11:24 PM »
Thank you all for this unexpected gift. It could not have come at a better time--I've been enduring a series of oral surgeries, and the latest round has left me in agony--about which no one can do much except offer drugs. When you've had as much invasive surgery as I've just had, there's no expectation of escaping pain. Right now my face is so sensitive that it hurts to take a shower. I have not shaved for a week, and the surgery has left me covered with bruises--I look like I either lost a really bad bar fight, or got run over by a bus. I feel that way, too. So I've literally been hiding away in my workshop, trying very hard to find ways of distracting myself from constant pain. Rick's "ode" is a wonderful salve to soothe the spirit. I'm grateful for the opportunity to help him, and anyone else.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 06:13:21 PM by David K. Smith »

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +641
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 06:43:24 PM »
Thank you all for this unexpected gift. It could not have come at a better time--I've been enduring a series of oral surgeries, and the latest round has left me in agony--about which no one can do much except offer drugs. When you've had as much invasive surgery as I've just had, there's no expectation of escaping pain. Right now my face is so sensitive that it hurts to take a shower. I have not shaved for a week, and the surgery has left me covered with bruises--I look like I either lost a really bad bar fight, or got run over by a bus. I feel that way, too. So I've literally been hiding away in my workshop, trying very hard to find ways of distracting myself from constant pain. Rick's "ode" is a wonderful salve to soothe the spirit. I'm grateful for the opportunity to help him, and anyone else.

With the circumstances being as they are, i think we should all be asking what can we do for you seeing as how just the description of your pain makes me hurt as well (yea, that happens to me somewhat often).

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

Alaska Railroader

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 07:13:45 PM »
Not sure if any of you know anything at all of what David has done for me in this hobby, in N and Z, but it is immeasurable.
 +infinity and beyond!

Karin Snyder
Stonebridge Models

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 07:44:44 PM »
David.............Bourbon.........straw.....ice..........glass..........bourbon............pain not an issue......been there, done that...............sending positive waves my friend................ ;)
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7025
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 08:52:35 PM »
David.............Bourbon.........straw.....ice..........glass..........bourbon............pain not an issue......been there, done that...............sending positive waves my friend................ ;)

Oh, Pud, I sure wish I could go that route. But with the meds I'm on, that could be very risky. Right now I have some oxy, and 10mg every 4 hours is starting to to the trick.

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 09:11:49 PM »
All I want to say is: Thanks, David! While we have corresponded only a few times directly, I've heard much from others about the above odes.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6800
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 09:44:34 PM »
Sorry to hear about your latest maladies and that your so uncomfortable.  Feel better, D.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!