Author Topic: Start Foaming..Lets See the STEAM!!!  (Read 136393 times)

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +641
Re: Start Foaming..Lets See the STEAM!!!
« Reply #285 on: September 03, 2012, 05:06:30 PM »
Here is Fleischmann Cl 70 2-4-0T and the Terrier, Prussian T1 0-6-0T with the Terrier and the Terrier with a (front of a) brass Big Boy from Sakatsu.

At least someone else knows whats good... The Terrier that is, heck with that ugly hulk to its rear  :trollface: ... (of course it is the namesake of the one of Thomas fame) The real loco is preserved and doing good service over in the land that gave rise to steam locomotives, and railways in general.

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3602
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #286 on: September 03, 2012, 08:05:05 PM »
Peteski, I was waiting for those beauties!

superchief

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #287 on: September 03, 2012, 08:49:14 PM »
trying tp post my first picture

Argentine, KS roundhouse 1953

Gordon/ Santa Fe - All The Way/ CHG to LA 1953
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:10:24 PM by superchief »

superturbine

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #288 on: September 03, 2012, 08:54:52 PM »
Nice shot Gordon...  Thats a Beautiful engine!!

Here is a snow scene I work on today.  Challenger working in helper service on the cold icy rails!

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:04:46 PM by superturbine »

superchief

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #289 on: September 03, 2012, 09:15:39 PM »
hey that worked:

East Gallup, #3 The Califorina Limited with#3771 on the lead-passing under Route 66 as #18 The Super Chief shows us her markers.

Gordon :)

UP4-8-8-4

• Crew
  • Respect: +152
    • Present home layout and partial collection.
« Reply #290 on: September 04, 2012, 12:22:47 AM »

Great pic Gordon !
Never get tired of seeing peoples turntable & roundhouse pics ---------------------  ;)
Your other pics looks good as well.

Jason, HUM, snow on rails, ground, freight cars, trees & mountain, but none on the engine, AH, been keeping it warm in the roundhouse ---------------------------------  :D
KOOL PIC !

Ernie
4-8-8-4 Bigboy

4-6-6-4 Challenger

superturbine

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #291 on: September 04, 2012, 12:57:11 AM »
Let's see the progress on th A-4 Max!

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1961
« Reply #292 on: September 04, 2012, 01:46:23 AM »
[quote ]

Here is a snow scene I work on today.  Challenger working in helper service on the cold icy rails!

[/quote]

Jason, that's just awesome.... ! Brrrrrrrrr......
How big is your layout and do you have a plan somewhere?
Regards, Otto

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1465
« Reply #293 on: September 04, 2012, 12:14:13 PM »
Nice shot Gordon...  Thats a Beautiful engine!!

Nice shot Jason!  However, having researched the hell out of this, 3700 class Challengers, when in helper service out of Ogden to Wahsatch, always had the caboose on the back.  At Wahsatch, the train would stop on the East-bound mainline, the Challenger and caboose would uncouple and back up to about 200 yards West of the center siding switch, the brakeman would get out of the caboose and align the switch to the center siding, hand signal to the engineer and the Challenger would accelerate like crazy for a few seconds towards the turnout, dragging the caboose with it.

About 100 yards from the switch, the caboose would uncouple (on the fly) and the Challenger would once again accelerate like crazy away from the drifting caboose.  The brakeman, on the switch, would instantly re-align the switch to normal as soon as the engine's tender went past, step up to the track, and in an incredibly acrobatic move, swing himself up on to the passing caboose platform steps using the curved grabs on the lower ends of the caboose body!!

The caboose would then drift down to the end of the waiting train on the east-bound mainline and couple up.

The Challenger would head East towards the Wahsatch wye (with its associated spring switches), turn itself, and head light back down Echo and Weber Canyons to Riverdale Yard for another train to assist. It'd be well on its way downhill before the train it had helped would be aired up and on its way towards Green River and Cheyenne.

Some days, there'd be half a dozen 3700 Class Challengers simultaneously shoving uphill and running light downhill on the double-tracked mainline between Wahsatch and Riverdale/Ogden.

This little operation is one of the reasons I'm modeling this helper district on the U.P. from 1951 through 1956, although 3700 Class Challengers worked this until 1958 (?) oftimes with Baby or Veranda Turbines on the head end.  GTELs were the only motive power that didn't require helpers, taking the place of the Big Boys on the Wahsatch Grade, which rarely appeared in Ogden after March of 1954 when the coaling tower at Echo closed down.

Thought you'd like to know this...

Cheers!
Bob Gilmore

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1859
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #294 on: September 04, 2012, 12:28:07 PM »
Let's see the progress on th A-4 Max!

Heh... sorry man, there isn't any.  I have too many projects already backed up before I can get to that one.  :(

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #295 on: September 04, 2012, 12:32:21 PM »
At Wahsatch, the train would stop on the East-bound mainline, the Challenger and caboose would uncouple and back up to about 200 yards West of the center siding switch, the brakeman would get out of the caboose and align the switch to the center siding, hand signal to the engineer and the Challenger would accelerate like crazy for a few seconds towards the turnout, dragging the caboose with it.
About 100 yards from the switch, the caboose would uncouple (on the fly) and the Challenger would once again accelerate like crazy away from the drifting caboose.  The brakeman, on the switch, would instantly re-align the switch to normal as soon as the engine's tender went past, step up to the track, and in an incredibly acrobatic move, swing himself up on to the passing caboose platform steps using the curved grabs on the lower ends of the caboose body!!
The caboose would then drift down to the end of the waiting train on the east-bound mainline and couple up.
Bob Gilmore

An interesting operation. More complex and perhaps dangerous that the Slip Coaches of the GWR. It would certainly be an interesting feature to model on a layout. Might need a few electromagnets and a decent grade, but it would be an excellent feature.

-Cody F.
Tired.

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +623
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #296 on: September 04, 2012, 03:05:21 PM »
An interesting operation. More complex and perhaps dangerous that the Slip Coaches of the GWR. It would certainly be an interesting feature to model on a layout. Might need a few electromagnets and a decent grade, but it would be an excellent feature.

-Cody F.

A maneuver commonly referred to as "the flying switch". Generally frowned upon due to the obvious safety concerns for both crew and equipment.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
« Reply #297 on: September 04, 2012, 03:25:16 PM »
A maneuver commonly referred to as "the flying switch". Generally frowned upon due to the obvious safety concerns for both crew and equipment.

Kill one, hire another  :trollface:

-Cody F.
Tired.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1465
« Reply #298 on: September 04, 2012, 03:32:33 PM »
U.P.'s name for this maneuver was "Kicking the caboose". 

I originally thought that after the helper had uncoupled from its train, backed up and uncoupled the caboose, that the caboose simply drifted downhill onto its waiting train.  I had it all worked out how to duplicate this maneuver by powering the caboose and MU'ing it with both the lead engine and the helper.  Sounded good.

However, after I saw the video of 3700's "kicking the caboose" at Wahsatch, and scratching my head several nights while contemplating how to duplicate this move in N-scale, I gave up on the idea.  Now I'm going to stay with my first (incorrect) scenario simply because it's possible.

Cheers!
Bob Gilmore

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +623
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #299 on: September 04, 2012, 03:56:47 PM »
It would be impressive to see that replicated in scale.

"The flying switch" is actually a more generic term that refers to the facing-point switching maneuver described in "kicking the caboose".  Specifically, it involves uncoupling from moving rolling stock, accelerating (or decelerating, depending on whether the rolling stock being switched is behind or in front of the power), allowing the rolling stock to coast onto one route, and realigning quickly for the still-moving power.  It could save a lot of time on a facing-point switching maneuver, but as I said, was generally frowned upon because it is extremely hazardous.

If anyone is interested, in the Disney movie "The Great Locomotive Chase", there are at least two "flying switches" performed.  It's also just generally a good movie.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com