Author Topic: AC4400  (Read 1135 times)

sd75i

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
AC4400
« on: January 22, 2012, 11:35:08 PM »
   Since I cant find Undec AC4400 shells, what would be a good match for a KCS or FXE AC4400?  Thanks.

dave

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
Re: AC4400
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 01:00:01 AM »
Kato sells the shells, but they're down to BNSF versions only.

KCS units have high-mounted numberboards.
FXE units have low-mounted numberboards.

The numberboard placement is a fairly distinctive difference between the two and Kato made models for the both (but both are sold-out at Kato).  But, in my opinion, the gull-wing cab difference is a bit less noticeable.  In my opinion you could get by purchasing a Kato Undec Gull-Wing model and painting it for KCS.  Relatively few would notice what you did and even fewer would outside of a full-frontal shot of the model (gull-wing being most noticeable from straight-on).  There would undoubtedly be a lot more errors on the models for the nit-picky outside of you using a BNSF cab.

If you don't know what the "Gull-Wing" is, look at the below picture.  Notice how the roof-line on this unit has two seperate angles on the ends.  All other units have a single ~45* slope at the ends, but the BNSF cabs have a gull-wing notch two-angled slope on the cab roof edges.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:03:17 AM by Hyperion »
-Mark

sd75i

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
Re: AC4400
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 04:36:29 AM »
  Thanks for the info.  I was thinking about the gullwing as a last resort.  If KATO would just do a KCS and FXE, that would fix my problem.  In my response from them, i was told that parts will not be available until they do another run. I'll have to wait for the steerable trucks too.  In the meantime I can keep searching for these parts.  FXE decals will be the next challenge after this.

dave