Author Topic: Amoskeag Northern - Simonds Industrial Branch  (Read 86003 times)

svedblen

• Crew
  • Respect: +349
    • Three Yards Yard - beware - it is H0 - No, now it's O
Re: Amoskeag Northern - Simonds Industrial Branch
« Reply #345 on: January 06, 2013, 02:49:39 PM »
Lennart, I clicked on your photo link and it immediately jumped out to me as "eucalyptus!". This would be great if you're modeling Santa Fe branchlines in Southern California. :D

eucalyptus!  :facepalm: They were supposed to be (Swedish) pine  :)
Lennart

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5221
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #346 on: January 06, 2013, 04:46:38 PM »
Besides the evergreens, the other thing that jumped at me is the color of that bridge.  It looks too brightly rust-colored.  Before the evergreens and that bridge the scene looked super-realistic. Now it looks more like a train layout.  :trollface:
. . . 42 . . .

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +166
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #347 on: January 06, 2013, 05:50:14 PM »
Besides the evergreens, the other thing that jumped at me is the color of that bridge.  It looks too brightly rust-colored.  Before the evergreens and that bridge the scene looked super-realistic. Now it looks more like a train layout.  :trollface:

The bridge has always been there and that color! Its just a stand in until I can get the CV bridge kitbashed. The span is 9 3/4" so it requires just about every bridge to be bashed.I don't have time for it right now, and also the Kato bridge is much more durable so that it can easily be moved or bumped into during the construction phase. I hate to drop 80+hrs on the CV bridge and then bust it.  :facepalm:

But I guess a question is should I stick with a truss, or go through girder?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 07:01:59 PM by Ian MacMillan »
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7026
« Reply #348 on: January 06, 2013, 08:39:59 PM »

You could certainly drop a through girder in to see which has the best effect. I think the truss seems just a tad short, but then it could be aged to represent a legacy from an earlier era.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1856
« Reply #349 on: January 06, 2013, 08:45:18 PM »
What would the prototype do (WWPD) in that area?  A girder would give better visibility to the nice scene in the background (the conifers notwithstanding :trollface:).

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5221
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #350 on: January 06, 2013, 09:55:43 PM »
The bridge has always been there and that color! Its just a stand in until I can get the CV bridge kitbashed. The span is 9 3/4" so it requires just about every bridge to be bashed.I don't have time for it right now, and also the Kato bridge is much more durable so that it can easily be moved or bumped into during the construction phase. I hate to drop 80+hrs on the CV bridge and then bust it.  :facepalm:

Um, you're right. Back on page 15 (around the time you were making the highway sign), there is a photo with a small part of that bridge visible. But in that photo the color looks darker and the bridge has tracks on it. In the latest photo, the bridge just jumped out at me.  :facepalm:

As far as which will look better, why not just get a through girder one (those are fairly cheap anyway) and see for yourself which one will look better.  Using through girder one would not obstruct the view as much (and the background scenery in that area is really nice).  The truss bridge looks more massive (if that is the look your going for).
. . . 42 . . .

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #351 on: January 07, 2013, 02:02:46 AM »
This is a great looking scene Ian. Great angles and interesting elements.

With regards to the bridge, I agree with Gary on WWPD. The through truss, while a cool looking bridge, looks a bit off in this setting. It seems to me that railroads build the least expensive bridge that offered the most flexibly for any given site. Thus, if the span is short enough and there are no issues with clearance beneath the bridge, they use a deck girder. If there are vertical clearance issues, they use a through girder (which induce horizontal track clearance issues). If the span is too long for a single girder span they use a series of them (if they can build piers on the site) or use a through truss. In your case, it seems like deck girders would be appropriate, but that is just my opinion.  I seem to remember a Model Railroader article from the 1980s or so from a civil engineer who laid out the critical span lengths and girder sizes. A great reference if I new where it was!

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #352 on: January 07, 2013, 05:42:42 PM »
I think the bridge is fine, although Dave may be right and a deck would be more appropriate. 

I think it's the color that's throwing me off more.  *In my best Bruce Wayne voice* "Does it come in black?" 
~ Matt

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #353 on: January 07, 2013, 06:00:22 PM »
And thats the thing... WWPD in the area.

That's kind of a conflict. Truss bridges were VERY popular with the upper Northeast roads. MEC, B&M and the Vermont railroads loved them an they are just about everywhere. The NYC in MA used Truss, girder and stone arch bridges, especially the arches on the Boston Line.

The back story on the layout:
http://amoskeagnorthern.com/v3/index.php/about-the-layout

has it being a former NYC route, which could bring in all 3 possibility. I am very reserved on the stone arch though, thinking that it may cause people to think the locale is in PA.

The truss is just a smidge shy of your "normal" truss of 150', coming in at 130'. I can spray the bridge black to see how it looks in the scene, but like others have stated I too have had reservations as to it "blocking" the scene maybe.   I can whip up a through girder to see how it looks. A deck girder is a good suggestion, but it is not a common type in New England. The most areas where i have seen a deck used is on high trestles, like Frankenstein Trestle, etc.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #354 on: January 07, 2013, 07:28:34 PM »
Going black with the truss may help things by reducing foreground contrast, making it appear less of an obstruction. Myself, I don't mind the peek-a-boo it creates, and I agree it reinforces the New England flavor.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #355 on: January 07, 2013, 08:48:39 PM »
This is the eventual color I will be looking at for the brifge. This is 4th iron on the former Maine Central's Mountain Division in Harts Location, NH.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1617
« Reply #356 on: January 07, 2013, 08:51:45 PM »
I think the KATO stand-in has a bit of a Japanese flair to it, in addition to the odd color.
The reworked CV replacement will certainly help IMO.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #357 on: January 07, 2013, 08:59:35 PM »
Yes it does definately have a Japanese flair to it. I tried to add some trusses to it to make it more 'Merica until the final structure was built to replace it. I added some rust powder to it to tone down the brown as well.

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #358 on: January 08, 2013, 09:44:11 AM »
And thats the thing... WWPD in the area.

That's kind of a conflict. Truss bridges were VERY popular with the upper Northeast roads. MEC, B&M and the Vermont railroads loved them an they are just about everywhere. The NYC in MA used Truss, girder and stone arch bridges, especially the arches on the Boston Line.

The back story on the layout:
http://amoskeagnorthern.com/v3/index.php/about-the-layout

Interesting Read, Ian.  Although I'm not sure who that Mike Denton guy is....

I'm with DKS, I think black would make it pop less, which I think is what i'm having issues with.  There's a lot of reds going on with all the structures behind it too. 
~ Matt

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #359 on: January 08, 2013, 10:02:22 AM »
This modeler needs to refine his dry-brushing techniques. Could use improvement...

But seriously, try black with some subtle rusting effects. If it were me, I'd hit it with just one shot of RustAll.