Author Topic: GHQ has released the CN 8-hatch reefer  (Read 5636 times)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4704
    • www.bbussey.net
GHQ has released the CN 8-hatch reefer
« on: April 17, 2010, 11:32:23 AM »
This has been years in the making.  The first of the three GHQ resin/pewter cars finally has been released, in kit form.  Three-pack with decals for multiple schemes, for $49.  See http://www.ghqmodels.com/store/zm18.html for details.

Originally the plan was for these to be RTR and pad-printed.  But having them appear as kits with decals is more than welcome, especially for such a unique railroad-specific model.  Hopefully the NP radial roof reefer and boxcar are soon to follow.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5648
Re: GHQ has released the CN 8-hatch reefer
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 02:07:11 PM »
So did the thread at Atlas get deleted or was a dreaming?

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1294
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 02:17:36 PM »
I was just going to post this. Nice to see the long standing GHQ "vaporware" is being released. Anyone know what other cars were previewed?
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

FrankCampagna

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 03:23:30 PM »
So did the thread at Atlas get deleted or was a dreaming?

If someone who wasn't from GHQ posted a link, then, per rules, they might have deleted it.
Nice car, but I only need one.

Frank
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 03:25:15 PM by FrankCampagna »
"Once I built a railroad, made it run......."

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 04:29:29 PM »
Be still my foolish wallet...................don't click the link Pud; don't click the link !!!!!!!!!!! "CLICK"
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 04:42:49 PM »
@$#$##$@!@#!#@!@!

I "Clicked"  :'(

Six cars on the way....... :D

Eating beans for next two weeks....they are on sale for a buck a can........  :(

Worth it.............. ;D
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2278
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 05:28:15 PM »
Thanks for the heads up . I am in for a set . Were all 3 lettering schemes good at some time in the 1950-1959 span ?

Richie Dost

CoalPorter

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 05:35:05 PM »
UP 1950 - How do the body details look up close? Are they good for todays level of models, or are they more like good for 15 years ago?  (the photo looks good, but I see a few rought spots that have the home made look.  :P ::)

I think they were also doing a NP wood box with radial roof and NP ice refer.  :P

It's too bad they backed out on RTR and pad printed lettering. I don't really want to paint and decal anymore. I have about 30 cars painted and don't feel like putting on more decals.  :'( >:(
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 06:00:22 PM by CoalPorter »
Positive Trading Post With JustTraincRaZy, Railhead, OldBillIndy, Freighttrain

2-8-8-0

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 05:47:40 PM »
GHQ is an awesome company, run by a great guy. Im happy to see them continuing in the N market.

Methinks someone at GHQ likes NP. Maybe one day theyll get a few more eastern models out!
Just say no to dummy couplers.

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 06:27:59 PM »
UP 1950 - How do the body details look up close? Are they good for todays level of models, or are they more like good for 15 years ago?  (the photo looks good, but I see a few rought spots that have the home made look.  :P ::)

I think they were also doing a NP wood box with radial roof and NP ice refer.  :P

It's too bad they backed out on RTR and pad printed lettering. I don't really want to paint and decal anymore. I have about 30 cars painted and don't feel like putting on more decals.  :'( >:(

I don't have mine yet to be able to look close , I just ordered an hour ago or so . I think I have some old ones modified with a Dan Crowley roof retro fit , but the gray bodies used is almost white .
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 06:32:21 PM by up1950s »

Richie Dost

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 10:15:06 PM »

I'm curious.... and with no malace aforethought; "why not".....? It is "model" railroading. I have exactly the opposite view. I want to model my own stuff. Anyone can buy RTR; only "I" can model for me...that makes my RR diffferent......

I'm not judging; I really want to understand why you'd prefer to buy RTR than model yourself ?

Thanks !
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 10:17:04 PM by Puddington »

Puddington

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 10:18:30 PM »
Thanks for the heads up . I am in for a set . Were all 3 lettering schemes good at some time in the 1950-1959 span ?

More than likely Rich. The CN changed to the "worm" in 61 so I don't think they went full bore nuts to change that many hoppers... I'm modeling 1973 and will have a mixture.....

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 11:55:36 PM »
Thanks Pud .

Richie Dost

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4704
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 01:06:56 AM »
There are three articles on the GHQ site.  One of them states the date ranges for the paint schemes.  Both of the schemes offered with the kit are valid in the 1950s.

Another interesting bit of information from the articles is the list of various commodities that were shipped in these cars, live bees for instance.  The wide variety pretty much justifies the presence of this model on any mid 20th century layout.

The model is designed for truck-mounted couplers and sits a little higher than the prototype.  I'll be experimenting with body-mounts and lowering when they arrive.  The ends of the body are the prototypical full length, so it may take some planning.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

up1950s

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 02:05:55 AM »
Thanks , I hadn't thought to click into that .

Richie Dost