Author Topic: PRR/Conrail Juniata Division Engineering Report  (Read 331906 times)

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9184
Re: PRR/Conrail Juniata Division Engineering Report
« Reply #2145 on: January 03, 2017, 09:39:20 PM »
I shouldn't speak for Dr. Dave, but I'm fairly certain that a project of that scope jumps way outside of what he is contemplating as far as complexity goes on the next JD.

DFF

This.

I've moved on...  I have a plan in my head but I'm keeping it a secret.

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #2146 on: February 14, 2017, 10:42:08 PM »
+1
This coming weekend will see the abandonment and salvage of the Enola Yard section of the PRR Juniata Division.

We will be moving in April to a brand new house here in Colorado Springs and my plan for N scale Pennsy is to revert back to the original door component of the layout with a significant reduction in the PRR roster and elimination of my Conrail and PC equipment.

I don't have time to list the items I plan to sell before the move but upon settling in I will be flooding eBay and the Trading Post.

Proceeds from those sales will fund my transition to HOn3.  I don't have the heart to completely abandon N scale PRR but I certainly don't need the extensive fleet I currently have.

New home, new start.  I can no longer ignore the call of HOn3 now that I expect to live in Colorado for the foreseeable future.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +6319
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2147 on: February 15, 2017, 05:55:18 AM »
+1
Let me be the first talk you out of letting anyone talk you out of your decision.  I love your treatment of one of my favorite railfanning areas, and how you successfully bridged eras with the different rosters.  I really enjoyed seeing the PC and CR trains I remember, and seeing the PRR trains I always imagined when I found myself up there among all the giant blocks of cut stone and rugged mountains.

Kudos on a job well done, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with the larger scale.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1631
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #2148 on: February 15, 2017, 08:18:15 AM »
Dave,

Congrats.  Having seen and run the JD in its current configuration more then once I can safely say you accomplished your goals, occasionally wonky track not withstanding.  Having the door to roundy-round with your favorite pieces while you build the new HOn3 layout will be a blessing - if for no other reason then you will have trains running which is never a bad thing.

And I call dibs on any KCS stock you have sitting around for your Conrail collection.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6800
« Reply #2149 on: February 15, 2017, 09:07:25 AM »
Congratulations on the house and on making a final decision regarding your enjoyment of the hobby going forward.  I know you've struggled with the era/scale dilemma for some time.

If at all possible, I would be interested in one piece of rolling stock from your CR era to add to my collection, as a memento of the golden era of the JD.  I would cherish that piece as I do the commissary building that I got from Lee when the WM Western Lines was abandoned.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +6319
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2150 on: February 15, 2017, 09:28:45 AM »
I would cherish that piece as I do the commissary building that I got from Lee when the WM Western Lines was abandoned.

DFF

Careful, man.  You're getting it all sticky. :trollface:

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #2151 on: February 15, 2017, 09:54:16 AM »
+1
Congratulations on the house and on making a final decision regarding your enjoyment of the hobby going forward.  I know you've struggled with the era/scale dilemma for some time.

If at all possible, I would be interested in one piece of rolling stock from your CR era to add to my collection, as a memento of the golden era of the JD.  I would cherish that piece as I do the commissary building that I got from Lee when the WM Western Lines was abandoned.

DFF

How 'bout a Southern waffle?

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #2152 on: February 15, 2017, 11:03:16 AM »
Careful, man.  You're getting it all sticky. :trollface:

Lee

It cleans up nicely, thankfully.   :D

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #2153 on: February 15, 2017, 11:06:12 AM »
How 'bout a Southern waffle?

I've actually got five Exactrail SOU waffle boxcars already.  But, I can wait to see what you make available when you get to the point of deciding what to liquidate after the move.

Thanks,
DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #2154 on: February 15, 2017, 03:23:52 PM »
+1
Ed's got dibs on some of the PC stuff but I may break the ice by selling off a few of my locomotives to bankroll RGS #40 in HOn3.

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #2155 on: February 15, 2017, 03:29:45 PM »
So if you ever go back fully to Pennsy would it be in N or HO? With the new basement.

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #2156 on: February 15, 2017, 03:49:17 PM »
So if you ever go back fully to Pennsy would it be in N or HO? With the new basement.

I assume I'd stay in N since I have so much stuff in N (I plan on keeping some K4s and an M1 with a few token diesels) but that's pretty hypothetical, no?  I'm planning to go balls deep into HOn3 this summer, with N scale locomotive sales to finance the C19 and K27 I'll need to do the RGS right.

I have a crapload of locomotives in N that I just never really use but are otherwise perfectly good (and all have DCC).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 04:01:47 PM by Dave Vollmer »

glakedylan

• Crew
  • Give Respect. Expect Respect.
  • Respect: +234
    • Justice Kindness Humbleness —Micah 6.8
« Reply #2157 on: February 15, 2017, 03:49:49 PM »
+2
Dr. Dave...i am glad and thankful you have been able to come to a decision in regards to your future model railroading. Also, kudos on the new home and new start in HOn3...I will be following your build with much interest. All the best!
Sincerely
Gary
PRRT&HS #9304 | PHILLY CHAPTER #2384

SAH

• Crew
  • Respect: +1488
« Reply #2158 on: February 15, 2017, 04:38:20 PM »
+1
Although I've not posted to your Juniata Division thread I always enjoyed your updates and fine modeling.  Best of luck with the scale switch and keep up the good work.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #2159 on: February 15, 2017, 04:50:14 PM »
I'm planning to go balls deep into HOn3 this summer, with N scale locomotive sales to finance the C19 and K27 I'll need to do the RGS right.

Haha!  I'm sort of in the same boat.  A few weeks ago, I decided to attempt liquidating a few pieces of motive power and rolling stock that sees little use on my layout, to fund the purchase of a couple of IM SD40-2s with DCC and sound.  However, IM has now further delayed the SCL and SBD SD40-2s into late Spring 2017 at best.

So, since the eBay sales did better than I expected and I've got a little cash burning a hole in my pocket, I've decided to go in a different direction.  I'm now selling off a significant chunk of my fleet, because I'm seriously considering purchasing a second generation Mazda Miata (1999-2005).  Ever since my brother owned an MG Midget in the 1980s, I have long wanted to own a soft-top, two-seat roadster.  While the MGs are cool, let's face it, Miatas are much more reliable and less expensive to maintain.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!