Author Topic: Vinyl/Die Cutting Machines  (Read 2113 times)

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
Vinyl/Die Cutting Machines
« on: February 26, 2009, 06:14:56 PM »
I have noticed some very interesting discussion in another thread about cutting machines, and thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread on this topic. Okay now......I don't know anything about these, other than it looks like something you can buy for your wife and then put it to good use.

What are people doing with these? What materials can you/ have you cut.

I have an interest in "card modeling" (ie. using printed cardstock) to build large buildings. This looks like a nice way to cut window and door openings. With multiple card layers a fair bit of relief can be achieved.

Leave it to the women to get a low cost rapid prototyping machine....I mean the thing doesn't even use lasers or plasma or anything dangerous.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +166
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Vinyl/Die Cutting Machines
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 10:55:53 AM »
"I" have the Cricut Expression $499 (This was 2 years ago, may be cheaper now)
http://www.cricut.com/shopping/ProductDetails.aspx?id=123&s=5&sc=1

And use the Sure Cuts Alot software $70
http://www.craftedge.com/

The Sure Cuts Alot software allows you to tether the Cricut to your computer as a printer. It can use any linear drawing format such as AutoCAD or CorelDraw files. I've cut paper, vinyl, and cardstock with it, but am going to try scoring some styrene. With thin enough styrene I bet I could cut it with enough passes and a higher pressure setting.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
Re: Vinyl/Die Cutting Machines
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 05:32:32 PM »
Man, and last year I saw those Cricut machines going for half-price at Michaels.  I'd have been ALL OVER one had I known they could do this...

EDIT:  Looks like the larger Expression models that cuts up to 12" wide, can be had on eBay for around $300 shipped.  If this works on 0.030" plastic I'd get one in a heartbeat.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 05:39:15 PM by Hyperion »
-Mark