Author Topic: Resistance Soldering Unit  (Read 1659 times)

UP_Phill

Resistance Soldering Unit
« on: June 27, 2008, 03:08:21 AM »
This just arrived in the mail. Made by a Roger Howell in Sydney Australia. Maximum output is in excess of 250 watts, however output is infinitely variable from zero to max. I intend on giving this a test run tonight.

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
Re: Resistance Soldering Unit
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 07:24:12 PM »
Quick Google search popped his name up on some Forums in Queensland.  I've found a contact email, but is that the only way to get these?  That's a pretty good looking unit and the prices I saw mentioned on another site were pretty reasonable compared to the likes of other retail units I've found.

EDIT:  I see on yet another Forum where you posted a link to a site that offers it:  http://www.bdsonline.net/brunelmodels/rsu/bluerink.html.  Still looks like email is the contact.  But based on the price you paid, per your thread in the TB Forum, it'd be a hard buy over the American Beauty units.  Here in the 'States at least, their new 250W unit made especially for modelers is supposed to be in the $300 range.  The one you got there actually looks like a better unit though on pure aesthetics alone.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 07:33:28 PM by Hyperion »
-Mark

UP_Phill

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 10:21:59 PM »
Roger builds them on an as required basis. Turn around is about 6 weeks. I did consider the American Beauty units, but when you factor in shipping to Aus and 240 voltage requirements, this RSU comes out on top.....for me anyway!

I did some soldering on scrap brass last night and was extremely impressed on how easy it is to use. The big plus is that you can form multiple joints in a very small area, this is nearly impossible with a normal iron.

UP_Phill

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 06:17:22 AM »
Here's a piece of Atlas c55 joined using the RSU. I took no precautions in regards to the plastic ties btw.