Author Topic: Yard Comments  (Read 4388 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +3228
Yard Comments
« on: January 14, 2007, 08:45:17 PM »
This is kind of what I am planning on doing for my yard ..

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: Yard Comments
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 08:48:23 PM »
John,

This looks good to me, assuming you have a lot more track that is not pictured on the right.   :)

That little s-curve between 16 and 17 feet looks a little un-prototypical, and may cause trouble since it looks a little sharp.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 08:52:48 PM »
Thanks Tom .. actually, I am going to curve the yard a bit to make that all straight .. I just didnt want to muck around with the cad program all that much .. this is more of a visualization for me to get the approximate dimensions down ..

As far as other track goes ... the two to three upper tracks are the mainline .. they will curve around the corner .. into another curve not shown .. the yard lead will be about 6-7 feet long .. (also not completely shown) ..

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 09:02:09 PM »
Message deleted
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 01:17:45 AM by Robbman »

3rdrail

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 09:03:16 PM »
Thanks  ;DTom .. actually, I am going to curve the yard a bit to make that all straight .. I just didnt want to muck around with the cad program all that much .. this is more of a visualization for me to get the approximate dimensions down ..

As far as other track goes ... the two to three upper tracks are the mainline .. they will curve around the corner .. into another curve not shown .. the yard lead will be about 6-7 feet long .. (also not completely shown) ..

I was gonna ask about the yard lead.  ;D

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9103
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 09:03:25 PM »
How does this attach to the return loop?

If it's that front track, then I'd suggest separating it out into something separate from the yard tracks themselves, so that a crew working the yard won't be fouling anything that's functioning as a mainline.

I'm also curious about how it's supposed to function.

If it's solely for staging, then I guess what I said won't matter, but if you're actually going to be using it for work, then I think I'd like an explanation of what you're expecting it to do so I can give you more accurate comments.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 09:12:21 PM »
Here is a better image .. and I reworked it a bit ..

The crossovers are indeed there .. just not pictured .. the right side crossover is about 3 feet beyond the entrance .. and are #10s .. on the other end, there will be double crossovers also .. just prior to the yard lead ..

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 09:17:03 PM »
How does this attach to the return loop?

If it's that front track, then I'd suggest separating it out into something separate from the yard tracks themselves, so that a crew working the yard won't be fouling anything that's functioning as a mainline.

I'm also curious about how it's supposed to function.

If it's solely for staging, then I guess what I said won't matter, but if you're actually going to be using it for work, then I think I'd like an explanation of what you're expecting it to do so I can give you more accurate comments.

The return loops is about 20 linear feet away, in another part of the room ..

the yard will be a flat switching .. train makeup, tear down type of affair .. there will be several locals that operate out of there .. and you are not seeing the industries that will be in that area .. i dont want to go much bigger ..because the rest of the layout is relatively small .. and there is one additional yard on the other end ..

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 09:32:29 PM »
Message deleted
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 01:17:55 AM by Robbman »

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +372
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 10:29:45 PM »
How are you getting out of the left end of the yard?  Or does the lead eventually connect with the main?
I like ducks

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +6409
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 11:06:17 PM »
It's hard for me to see... do you have an arrival/departure track(s) where the train will be assembled by the switcher, then have the road power pick it up from there?

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 08:09:23 AM »
There are 2 A/D tracks ..

There is also room for an engine terminal / loco servicing facility, and a loco and car shop area ..

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 11:53:35 PM »
John,

It looks a little bit like my yard, with the addition of a back-door entrance at the far right. If the return loop goes around, like mine does, I'd eliminate the back-door entrance, and use the space for longer yard leads on the right, which this plan seem to lack.That is, I'd loop around to the yard lead, rather than using a backdoor entrance. It probably also needs a longer lead track on the left, which would be pretty easy to add.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 08:20:56 AM »
It would probably help to show a larger scale pic of the lower level .. this is pretty close to the actual as built bench work, but the track is not as it will be .. not all the track is shown on either end ... but you get the idea where this yard fits into the scheme of things ..

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 08:21:25 AM »
It would probably help to show a larger scale pic of the lower level .. this is pretty close to the actual as built bench work, but the track is not as it will be .. not all the track is shown on either end ... but you get the idea where this yard fits into the scheme of things ..

« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 09:17:09 AM by John »