Author Topic: Bulletproof Code 30 (and smaller) Track Experiments  (Read 1793 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5248
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Bulletproof Code 30 (and smaller) Track Experiments
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2024, 02:07:45 PM »
Double etch a flat sheet.

Well then the railhead and bottom of the base will have a raised peak at the center (artifact of double etching).  That will require some milling or filing.
. . . 42 . . .

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1476
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2024, 03:27:18 PM »
+1
Someone in the Nn3 group is doing code 30 rail by etching in the web.

That "someone" is my friend Gregg Cudworth, who is also making etched and investment cast kits for Nn3 steam locomotives and several different narrow gauge cars.

However, I'm not sure if Gregg is offering his etched Code30 rail for sale, as opposed to his locomotive and car kits.

I have a sample of Gregg's etched Code30 rail, with an actual rail profile, to experiment with, as opposed to "normal" Code30 flattened wire, which is no longer available.

Although Gregg's etched rail looks very nice, the NS it's etched from is much softer than NS wire, and it is very easily bent, and I'm not sure if one PCB tie every seventh or fifth tie is enough to ensure durability, which is one of the reasons I got a bit of his rail to experiment with.

When I get a short section of standard gauge N-scale track laid, I'll post some pics with Gregg's permission.

Photo (1) - A photo of an almost finished section of Gregg Cudworth's basement-filling RGS with Code30 flattened wire as Nn3 trackage rails:

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5248
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2024, 03:48:08 PM »
I have a sample of Gregg's etched Code30 rail, with an actual rail profile, to experiment with, as opposed to "normal" Code30 flattened wire, which is no longer available.

How do you deal with the V-shaped cusp on the railhead and on the bottom of the rail?
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5649
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2024, 03:54:17 PM »
I asked him (yes it was Gregg) about the center of the top of the rail having a peak from etching and he just sands it down. He said it comes out to about 60 cents per foot.

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +644
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2024, 04:32:48 PM »
+1
I'd be curious to see more of Greg's work if anyone would like to extend him an invite here.   

One drawback to my Kato method is the width of the railhead. How wide it his?
Aaron Bearden

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5649
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2024, 04:53:19 PM »
.015" nickel silver x 2' in length

He is on the Nn3group.io

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1476
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2024, 05:20:10 PM »
How do you deal with the V-shaped cusp on the railhead and on the bottom of the rail?

Okay, although I was going to wait before revealing Gregg's etched rail until I had some laid, since the cat's out of the bag, here are the dimensions:  Rail height (without any sanding or filing) is 0.026", railfoot width is 0.016" and railhead width is 0.0145", all according to my cheap Harbor Freight Tools digital calipers.

On the railfoot base, although I can perceive a "line" of some sort running down the middle of it, it sits nice and vertical on PCB ties without any filing, sanding or milling.

The railhead has a slight (very slight) slightly rough ridge running down it (did I say it is slight???), which would be very easy to simply file down with a few strokes of a sharp, flat file after the track is laid.  I do this with my turnouts anyway to even things up, and this minuscule "ridge" would file off extremely easily.

Photo (1) - Gregg Cudworth's Etched Code30 Rail:

Photo (2) - Gregg Cudworth's Etched Code30 Rail Closeup:

Photo (2) - Gregg Cudworth's Etched Code30 Rail Comparo to ME Code40 Rail with an IMR Wheelset:

I've only seen finished trackage using this rail on Gregg's Durango turntable he's working on.  It looks FABULOUS!  No other words to describe it.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

« Last Edit: August 09, 2024, 05:24:07 PM by robert3985 »

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1465
    • Modutrak
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2024, 10:05:51 PM »
Well played!  That really cuts down on the minimum order issues with flat wire.   And is a better execution.