Author Topic: C&O Fans  (Read 428 times)

mkearns

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
C&O Fans
« on: June 23, 2024, 11:48:09 PM »
I’m fairly new around here. Looking to connect with other Chesapeake and Ohio fans. I’m in WV, with C&O history all around. Was biking on an old branch line the other day.

My primary interest is the transition era steam and first gen diesels. One thing I especially like is that C&O experimented with lots of different diesel models before settling on GPs. My secondary interest is the Chessie System era: second gen EMD, still using cabooses, and a very unique paint scheme. The period in between doesn’t have as much appeal to me personally, as it feels a bit more austere.

I’m still working on ideas for my 3x6 N scale layout and trying some micro layouts to practice first. Aiming for a general Appalachian setting where I can do the early 50s and a time warp to the late 70s. Probably more of a branchline vibe with the smaller space I have. In the meantime I’ve been curating a collection of C&O power and rolling stock and practicing decals, weathering, light kit bashing.

So just wanted to see who else out there was into the C&O and where your modeling interests lie? I think that I’ve gathered from the forums that the list might include @Kentuckian, @davefoxx, @asarge, @chessie system fan?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2024, 11:49:41 PM by mkearns »

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +6295
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: C&O Fans
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2024, 09:44:13 AM »
+2
I'm up in the Eastern Panhandle, and also have a 36x80" hollow core door layout with an Appalachian setting.  More of a Beano and Western Maryland guy, but you know, the C&O was the sugar daddy, so I guess it's a peripheral interest. 

My layout is the N Scale Hi Rail theme, so most of my stuff is vintage Rivarossi, Arnold, Trix and first generation Atlas, although occasionally a few newer thing make their way through the worm hole.
I run a variety of steam, transition, and 2nd generation diesel.  All DC control.  (Keep it simple, stupid!)
Looking forward to seeing your work.
Lee

Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

mkearns

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2024, 10:25:42 AM »
Interesting locomotive there. I've got a soft spot for Alcos and have thought about painting/decaling a couple what-ifs in the Chessie scheme.

Do you have any vintage C&O steam?

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +6295
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2024, 01:31:58 PM »
The only C&O marked steam is a Bachmann 2-6-6-2, which I'm adding a WM tender to a'la 1309.
But so far it's stock.

I have a photo of it somewhere, but I haven't been able to put my mitts on it yet.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Rasputen

• Crew
  • Respect: +295
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2024, 01:45:30 PM »
+3
Welcome to The Railwire!

mkearns

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2024, 02:31:51 PM »
@Rasputen Thanks! I think I bumped into you at the C&O meeting in Logan. You've got those killer customized N scale RSD5 and RSD12. What's your home layout like?

Rasputen

• Crew
  • Respect: +295
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2024, 03:30:58 PM »
+1
Those are a few select views of finished areas.  Most of it is dusty with junk piled on top. :facepalm:

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2024, 04:05:30 PM »
+1
2nd rate C&O fan here.

When I was a kid, I fell in love with trains watching coal drags on the Pokey (N&W Pocahontas Division). Occasionally I would see strings of C&O, Clinchfield, etc on the N&W.

There was an interchange with the C&O at Gilbert WV, I plan to work that into my next layout somehow.  8)

Naturally, I have quite a few C&O hoppers for operations.

Mark

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +610
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2024, 10:29:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum! We'd enjoy seeing your progress as you design your layout.  There's a lot of skilled modelers here. There's always something to learn. As a Chessie modeler,  I have more than a passing interest in the C&O, though I'm more on the B&O side (like you, with multiple era interests).  At the moment, modeling passenger cars tend to take up most of my time.  8)
Aaron Bearden

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +491
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2024, 09:26:53 AM »
Welcome! I’m also interested in the C&O during the transition era. I grew up in Russell, KY and have taken many railfan and recreational excursions into WV. One of my first loves was Thurmond, WV. I discovered it during the New River Train fall excursions in the late 1980’s. I have also visited Cass a few times and was a member of the Mountain State Logging Society (or something like that) for a few years. I built a T-trak module of Thurmond.

My planned layout is the now defunct Lexington Subdivision. That is Lexington, KY as opposed to Lexington, VA. The modeled portion will be Ashland to Morehead. Mikes, “Big Mikes” (Kanawhas, or Berkshires for the uninitiated) a Mallet for the Corey Hill pusher, and of course Consols. Also a heavy Mountain for the Louisville section of the George Washington. Some GP-7’s, -9’s, and BL-2’s.

Please keep us informed on your progress!
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun