Author Topic: Looking or help to choose where to add a potential siding on the LIRR IS  (Read 214 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3433
    • Designer at Keystone Details
I am thinking I would like a siding on the west end if the layout in the aggregate business.  I am looking to create a storage location for the barge loading crane, which is shared with the scrap yard on the east end across the channel.  While already forcing some unique transfer moves between the two businesses, I think I want the crane to be stored on the west end, to be close to the enginehouse.

Below I have two track concepts:

1: The green line gets me the closest and presents more moves to place the crane car which wants to be at the end of the track without a locomotive at the bumper.  This would require a tight-curved turnout due to the current alignment, which would likely need to be hand laid.

2: The orange line reduces the number of moves to get the crane into position AND affords more range for loading aggregate to and from a barge at the sea wall along the main waterfront.  I may be able to use a standard #5 for the realignment and the curve can be even tighter due to the crane car's short wheelbase.

Which version do you think is best; 1 or 2 (both is NOT an option :D :trollface:)?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8405
    • Conrail 1285
Green. Because it's more likely inside the railroad's property line.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3433
    • Designer at Keystone Details
@Ed Kapuscinski ,  You may not have read this post on the layout thread. Both lines are on the LIRR IS property, but I do understand your point otherwise.

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=28266.msg795439#msg795439

The LIRR IS owns the service railroad AND the waterfront businesses, i.e. everything south of the PRR interchange (local track down from the main and along the telephone lines) to the waterfront and the crossing track into the building under the elevated line is their property, I just have not fenced it off and gated the track and roads yet, which will show the line of demarcation between the two.