Author Topic: What caulk to use to glue cork roadbed to 1" foam?  (Read 975 times)

NorsemanJack

• Crew
  • Respect: +37
Re: What caulk to use to glue cork roadbed to 1" foam?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2024, 05:39:10 PM »
https://aleenes.com/collections/original-tacky-glue/products/aleenes-original-tacky-glue-16-fl-oz

Also great for track to roadbed and ballasting.  Unlike Elmer's, it dries flexible.  Like Elmer's, you can wet it down and it will let go and clean up.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 05:41:09 PM by NorsemanJack »

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1438
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2024, 04:36:11 PM »
+1
https://aleenes.com/collections/original-tacky-glue/products/aleenes-original-tacky-glue-16-fl-oz

Also great for track to roadbed and ballasting.  Unlike Elmer's, it dries flexible.  Like Elmer's, you can wet it down and it will let go and clean up.

Although I use Aleenes' Tacky-Glue for various projects, I don't use it for cork roadbed because of the very fact that when soaked with water, it lets go. 

Part of my track-laying process, which includes ballasting and adding scenery, is to totally soak the loose rocks, sand, dirt...and ballast first with water with a bit of dish-washing detergent in it...to get rid of most of the surface tension....then soak it again with my water/Mod-Podge solution to sock it all down without there being any bubbles or under-surface loose areas.   This soaking could very well loosen up my glued-down roadbed if I used either Elmers White Glue or Aleene's Tacky Glue...and I don't want to find out later that has happened when I start to run trains on my trackage after the adhesive and wetting agent have dried.

Just sayin'...

If having the ability to remove your trackage is such a high priority, then go right ahead and takes your chances.

But, for me, I'm not planning on removing anything unless absolutely necessary, so I make my roadbed and track permanent and purposely waterproof.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Doc Frankenfield

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2024, 07:45:07 AM »
having worked with foam for over forty years...
Phenoseal is bay far the easiest and most reliable adhesive for many purposes.