Author Topic: Bachmann GP38-2s  (Read 2988 times)

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
Re: Bachmann GP38-2s
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2020, 04:46:02 PM »
If these are going to be anything like their most-recent run of GP40's, I think they will be nice little units. Side-by-side, I couldn't tell the new GP40 apart from an Atlas, and they even had speaker holes in the fuel tank for those who want them to make noise.

Bachmann has blobs rather than steps on the subbase, also a misshaped fuel tank.  Bachmann's boxing glove couplers are also noticeably larger than Accumates.

Other than that, it's a huge improvement over the old Bachmann GP40.  I would have preferred that they spent their $ and efforts on either a U36B that nobody else offers in N or a GP50 that Kato hasn't offered since (long time ago), and never with a high short hood.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 04:50:06 PM by cjm413 »

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1952
    • My website
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2020, 10:02:47 PM »
...... I would have preferred that they spent their $ and efforts on either a U36B that nobody else offers in N .........

THIS
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9011
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2020, 10:56:59 AM »
Other than that, it's a huge improvement over the old Bachmann GP40.  I would have preferred that they spent their $ and efforts on either a U36B that nobody else offers in N or a GP50 that Kato hasn't offered since (long time ago), and never with a high short hood.

That might be true, but I don't think we're the target market for these things.
It's folks who are newer to the hobby and who want models of the stuff they see today and can just go buy one off the shelf somewhere like Hobby Lobby. It's a smart strategy.
I think they're really smart by offering contemporary schemes (and it's why the CSX one is a head scratcher to me, it 100% should have been DF or the boxcar logo).
And it's also really smart to do something ubiquitous and that will likely be around for a long time.

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2020, 07:31:47 PM »
That might be true, but I don't think we're the target market for these things.
It's folks who are newer to the hobby and who want models of the stuff they see today and can just go buy one off the shelf somewhere like Hobby Lobby. It's a smart strategy.
I think they're really smart by offering contemporary schemes (and it's why the CSX one is a head scratcher to me, it 100% should have been DF or the boxcar logo).
And it's also really smart to do something ubiquitous and that will likely be around for a long time.

The average Hobby Lobby shopper wouldn't know the difference between a redundant GP40 or GP38-2 from a U36B or GP50 that both markets could use

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +736
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2020, 07:38:29 PM »
+1
The nicest thing I can say about a Botchmann diesel is not to buy one without being able to look touch and test run it.
Peter Pfotenhauer

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +186
    • IG
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2023, 09:10:20 PM »
Listen its Spooktober so Ive got to raise something from the dead here.

I purchased the GMTX version a year or more ago and can honestly say its not a bad runner, and quite pretty to boot. Lately I've gotten bored and have pulled a few locomotives to visually upgrade and this one was on my list, so it received a new plow and cut lever bar on the front pilot. I may or most likely will do just a cut lever on the rear as there are no great photos of 2103 that I've found.
Boxing gloves trashed and... McHaha it uncoupled agains put on... I have apparently ran out of MTLs...   :-X

My real question here is has anyone poked around these boards for an AUX Function? I'm super tempted to add front Ditchlights as it is a modern engine and would normally have them.

Also while the sand filler hatches stand 20" above the nose (exaggeration obviously) they are a separate part which is a nice touch for an otherwise inexpensive loco with a basic sound decoder.
Also yes I mean inexpensive y'all have been in this hobby long enough to never trust Bmanns MSRP... dealers get them for about half that. Possibly less if they buy a bunch.

Someone asked if there was a Sight glass.... yes... its there.... just two doors off...  :facepalm:
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +128
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2023, 04:23:03 PM »
Addendum:

And actually, to date, there has only been one N scale locomotive produced in an accurate YN1 scheme.

And that was the Atlas B36-7.....

Which..... (drum roll)....
Started right here on this forum years ago.

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=34399.0

Atlas took the info from this forum and pressed forward with that release.

Atlas also di it on two of three GP38-2’s on an ejarlier release
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

Bruce Archer

• Crew
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2023, 09:50:42 PM »
CSX appears to be an amateur in loco schemes. I counted 23 schemes for the D&H....

Bruce