Author Topic: Kato parts department and shipping  (Read 714 times)

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +57
Kato parts department and shipping
« on: September 20, 2023, 01:59:45 PM »
Apparently they no longer ship to the UK, I have to request parts via one UK company, known for hefty markups. They always used to ship here, but now blame UK tax regulation. I not aware of anything that would affect small packet shipping from the US to UK though.

Guess the repair just I just looked at for $70 is now going to be twice that.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5221
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Kato parts department and shipping
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 02:22:35 PM »
Hmm, not sure what tax regulations have to do with shipping costs. Does Kato even have local office in UK?

While the postal rates have skyrocketed since COVID, that has nothing to do with any taxes. You likely have to pay duty fees, but that is nothing that Kato has any control of, or would have to charge you with.
. . . 42 . . .

SirTainly

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 02:27:36 PM »
Sounds like bunk tbh, taxes etc would be handled here by the post office, and I would have to pay them. They used to ship here no problems from the US. I've spoken to someone whose business is in shipping and he can't think of anything that'd be a barrier. Looks like dealing with Gaugemaster in the UK and have them order for me, or finding some one in the US to tranship a box onto me

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1398
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2023, 02:37:37 PM »
Maybe it is the paperwork that goes with shipping to UK.  I know that many US retailers won't ship to Canada (or international) due to extra effort required.  Easy or not, it is a step some are not prepared to do. 

Kato charged me $20 for shipping three parts last month, about 33% of the value of the order.  Pretty typical for shipping to Canada from US.  Interestingly, I have not received confirmation of the order other than it appears on my credit card.  I'm not worried, I recall this was the case the last time I ordered from them.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2023, 02:42:57 PM »
Out of curiosity about the postage costs, maybe you could go to https://www.usps.com/ then under SEND tab select Calculate Price, select UK for destination and choose other selections (like then see what the cost would be).

I selected a 1lb. small package and the cheapest was $29!  That seems crazy expensive.  I think that is why some international shippers use UPS or DHL.  They might have cheaper rates (but probably not much cheaper).  I know DM-Toys in Germany charges a flat 19 Euro for shipping to USA, and they use UPS or DHL.

Envelope would be cheaper, but might not be safe for whatever parts you are ordering.
. . . 42 . . .

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +403
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2023, 02:45:21 PM »
+1
Just for Petes benefit I located the Kato statement:
UK Customers please note: Due to changes in VAT collection rules, Kato USA will no longer be able to ship to individual customers in the UK starting January 1st, 2020. If you wish to purchase Kato products, we recommend you find a hobby store that can purchase on your behalf.

Link:  https://www.katousa.com/onlineshop/index.php?main_page=shippinginfo

The other thing you might look at is if a UK shipper has an office in the US you might be able to have the product delivered to their US office and have them export it to the UK. Not sure how cost effective that would be.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2023, 02:52:28 PM »
+2
Ah, so Kato USA is supposed to collect the VAT for the UK government. I can see how that could be an issue they don't want to deal with.
. . . 42 . . .

SirTainly

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2023, 03:48:02 PM »
I think Kato is being a bit of a stickler tbh, most other places wouldn't worry about the vat, the UK post office will gladly collect it on international parcels for a handling charge, which the recipient pays. I really don't want to deal with Gaugemaster but might be the only option. I'm not going to be buying any more Kato stuff though if getting spares is now this hard.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5641
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2023, 03:53:28 PM »
From Japan to here is $30 bucks  :|

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2023, 04:10:23 PM »
I really don't want to deal with Gaugemaster but might be the only option. I'm not going to be buying any more Kato stuff though if getting spares is now this hard.

I wonder if for spares you might be able to deal with Kato Japan instead of Kato USA?  I'm pretty sure all their American prototype offerings are also sold in Japan.
. . . 42 . . .

pmpexpress

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • Trains N Scale
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2023, 01:48:41 PM »
+1
Ah, so Kato USA is supposed to collect the VAT for the UK government. I can see how that could be an issue they don't want to deal with.

From my web site's Sales Terms and Conditions International Sales page:

"In light of the post-Brexit value-added-tax (VAT) requirements that became effective on January 1, 2021 and require foreign sellers to register for VAT collection and remit taxes for sales made to customers residing in Scotland, the United Kingdom, and Wales, orders originating from and/or shipping to these three locations will no longer be accepted."

Akin to the 2018 supreme court ruling on South Dakota v. Wayfair that obligated US businesses to collect sales taxes for states that a business has no physical presence in, effective on January 1, 2021 foreign entities were required to register and remit UK VAT taxes that were previously collected by local authorities; as is still the case with the remaining members of the EU.

While several details in the June 1, 2022 EU (European Union) Consumer Rights Directive are problematic for foreign businesses, the EU does not require the collection of VAT taxes from overseas entities that do not have a nexus in the EU.