Author Topic: Stanford's Hardware  (Read 2138 times)

rodsup9000

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
Re: Stanford's Hardware
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2023, 01:16:25 PM »
+2
  Got the new printer dialed in and went to work on the frame for the truck. I reworked it and printed 5 revisions. The last one is OK, but I need to go in and beef up around where the front and rear axle attaches to the frame. I broke 2 of the 14 printed in the last revision.
 I painted the frame gloss black and then added weathered flat black on the tires. Crappy photo but you can see some difference in the color.

Painted a couple of cabs with Krylon

Test fitting to see how it will look

Bought some STL files of a couple of dogs and a stack of feed. I had drawn up a barrel and printed some when I first started printing with resin, so I printed a few of them also. I took measurements of our 500 gal propane tank, did a quick drawing of it and printed some of them

Rodney

My Feather River Canyon in N-scale
http://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=31585.0

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5221
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Stanford's Hardware
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2023, 01:35:06 PM »
+1
Very nice.
(I still have the sampling of the failed printouts you sent me few years back).

Yes, the mistake often made by designers of 3D printed items is that they are printed as a single piece.  Yes, the 3D printers actually excel  in the ability to print some very complex shapes as single objects, but that also makes it impossible to property decorate it (as you found out) or to properly install windows glazing.  This is especially true when one wants to paint the interior. I wish more designers would print the 3D items as a mini-kits, to make painting and glazing easier.
. . . 42 . . .