Author Topic: ScaleTrains Acquires ExactRail  (Read 3346 times)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4704
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: ScaleTrains Acquires ExactRail
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2023, 08:05:32 AM »
+3
What bothers me is that the companies with tooling for USRA through 1956 don't produce much with their existing tooling. And when they do produce, more often than not run them in 1960s and 70s paint schemes- or fantasy paint schemes for souvenir cars.  Of course, anytime I want, I could raise $10 million  and invest in the tooling for my own company.  Anybody want to loan me $9,999,950 at 2019 interest rates?

1/200th of that would be enough to tool and produce your first run, if you incorporate OEM trucks and couplers. I take as much up-front money as everyone thinks. The harder task is selling the product and recouping your investment.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +552
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2023, 10:06:30 PM »
+1
They’ve got the ExactRail cars that are in stock on their website now. Also apparently they’re announcing a new ExactRail N scale freight car and a new N scale River Counter locomotive at Reno this weekend.
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1080
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2023, 12:21:41 AM »
1/200th of that would be enough to tool and produce your first run, if you incorporate OEM trucks and couplers. I take as much up-front money as everyone thinks. The harder task is selling the product and recouping your investment.
Well, my suggestion was an attempt at humor.
But it was also a suggestion about founding a company, with its own tools and production capability for cars and locomotives, with a marketing department, designers, etc., not putting out a single car, shopped out to another manufacturer.

Many years ago, I did look into having a car tooled, but feedback I got from other modelers about the idea did not lead me to think I could sell enough units to make the project viable. 

One of these days, I hope I meet you and you let me buy you lunch and you can tell me how on earth you figured out that a BAR Magor car would be a successful product.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +57
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2023, 01:32:29 AM »
This is good news, I liked the early ExactRail cars I bought, but the change of sales model stopped me getting any more.  My purchases from Scaletrains have been very easy to do as an international purchaser, so I look forward to the reissue of the vertapacs.