Author Topic: ESU LS 5 Nano DCC install into Old KATO GS4 - DIY  (Read 861 times)

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +501
ESU LS 5 Nano DCC install into Old KATO GS4 - DIY
« on: June 10, 2023, 10:21:25 PM »
+2

My version of a new install with the ESU LS5 Nano and 11x15 speaker with double deep enclosure.
There are some still jpg's at the end that I made during this project.
I did alter the drawbar to not return motor power through the top 1/2 of drawbar. That way the top 1/2 of the chassis is neutral. Bottom 1/2 of drawbar moves track power from drivers to tender. I have tested the p/up by placing a sheet of paper under the tender trucks and the loco drivers did their job quite well. With drivers off of track the tender picks up real well. All is cool. Kelley Duford put a new set of KATO's "revised" drivers in her for me and it runs smooth now. BTW, this is an early run and one of the plastic driver sleeves is cracked. The others would not have been far behind.

Any and all comments/suggestions appreciated. This has peaked my desire to re-build my other GS4 and I have an idea to paint it solid black lettered as "L B T" along with some passenger cars. Set up an mp3 player to play Josh Turner's "Long Black Train". Just for grins !

/>
Have a good summer !
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
  • Respect: +353
Re: ESU LS 5 Nano DCC install into Old KATO GS4 - DIY
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2023, 09:02:47 AM »
+1
Carl - nice install, and informative video. 

I too had a ‘first run’ GS4 that I upgraded not too long ago.  My inspiration was Mr. Duford’s videos, which gave me the courage to rework the Kato lightboard and led’s.  I used an ESU 58731 ‘Kato Japan’ sound decoder which, because it is a drop-in fit within the tender, effectively hides it under the weight for a virtually ‘invisible’ install.  Although the 58731 only has 3 powered outputs, it was perfect for the two front lights and the rear lamp in the tender.  (I’ve since used 58731’s in two other steam locos with great results).

You might find my GS4 lighting configuration to be of interest.  In short, I used ESU’s flow charting utility to create a routine whereby successive presses of F0 cycles through several lighting effects on the front lights.  Press F0 once, and the lower lamp comes on. Press it again, and the upper lamp also lights up.  A third press puts the upper lamp into Mars mode.  Fourth press turns off the upper light, and a fifth press turns off the lower lamp. 

All in all, it’s a fairly elegant alternative to having to use more than one function key for multiple effects, and I’ve since used variations of this technique for other locomotives having over/under headlamps. 

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2023, 05:07:02 PM »
+1
Carl - here’s a short video of my old GS4, demonstrating how repeatedly pressing the ‘Headlight’ button cycles through the lighting effects sequence. 

/>

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2023, 09:38:14 PM »

Very cool ! I must figure this out.

Thanks Dwight.
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 09:32:18 PM »
Carl - I hope this YouTube link works.  Although this “tutorial” is hard to follow because of the accelerated filming speed, it was the only example I have ever come across that demonstrates the flowchart technique for using one function key to cycle through multiple effects. 

My flowchart for over/under headlights control is far simpler than the one constructed for this video, but careful study of this fellow’s procedure enabled me to eventually figure it out. 

Hope it helps - let us know how you make out!

/>
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 09:33:54 PM by Dwight in Toronto »

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2023, 08:45:12 PM »
Thanks Dwight,

Every thing helps. I downloaded several posts from "Hostlers Inn" and am going through them. I have also printed several from the ESU io group.

Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2023, 09:09:16 PM »
Let me know if you get stuck.  I could take a few screenshots of the various LokProgrammer panes and, with a bit of narrative, I could probably give you enough info to get you through.  And yes, John at Hostler’s Inn contacted me after seeing one of my LokSound io.groups posts - he was a big help to me when I was first investigating the flow charting techniques.

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2023, 03:26:02 PM »

I surrender, back to F0, F5, F6 for my lighting effects.
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2023, 09:37:47 PM »
I surrender, back to F0, F5, F6 for my lighting effects.

Lol.  Carl, I had sent you some screenshots by PM a few days ago - a sequence of LokProgrammer steps showing how I got the technique to work on my locos.  Maybe you didn’t see them/get them? Have a look; let me know if you want to pursue further!

carlso

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2023, 10:32:39 AM »

Thanks Dwight but I have bever received them. John sent me n E8 mock up that I could not make work. So, back to basics.

Thanks,
Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas