Author Topic: Sound Quality on SaleTrains ET44  (Read 1880 times)

crrcoal

• Crew
  • Respect: +83
Re: Sound Quality on SaleTrains ET44
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2023, 09:26:22 AM »
So I have the CN 3015 Veterans unit. It has square exhaust. The CN 3233 Veterans unit has the angled exhaust. So digging around I found a comparison between the two if anyone would like to see what’s being talked about. It is quite a difference.   
https://flic.kr/p/2maakaX

High Hood

• Crew
  • Respect: +128
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2023, 09:31:13 AM »
+1
If someone has both straight and angled exhaust can you post a side by side photo to show the difference?. Has anyone reached to ST to see if they will make this right?

I sent them an email last night about it. I pointed out that the HO versions of the same road numbers have the correct angled exhaust, meanwhile N Scale got the wrong version.

High Hood

• Crew
  • Respect: +128
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2023, 01:01:58 PM »
+1
Here is the Scaletrains response to the exhaust issue:

"We apologize that we made an error.  We became aware of the error over the weekend. Currently, our factory is closed for holiday.  Once they get back, we should have details available with a solution ready in early February."

crrcoal

• Crew
  • Respect: +83
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2023, 01:39:42 PM »
I’m sure ST will make good on this. I’ve always heard good things about their customer support.
That being said and this isn’t directed at any one manufacturer specifically, I guess the days of QA are over?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5229
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2023, 02:13:20 PM »
I’m sure ST will make good on this. I’ve always heard good things about their customer support.
That being said and this isn’t directed at any one manufacturer specifically, I guess the days of QA are over?

By the same token, while the ST customer support is very responsive (going by personal experience), trying to get spare parts is like pulling teeth from a toothless mouth.  When they produce a run of models, they get a *VERY, VERY* limited number of spare parts.  I'm sure they try they best to get more, but it is not to be.  The China manufacturing seems to have the Scale Trains in U.S. by their short and curlys.
. . . 42 . . .

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +866
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2023, 02:42:35 PM »
Is the exhaust box a separate part or part of the shell?

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1620
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2023, 03:03:35 PM »
Is the exhaust box a separate part or part of the shell?

I would expect so, since there are two versions and I can't imagine they'd tool two entirely different shells.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

wmcbride

• Crew
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2023, 05:50:57 PM »
Here is a video that shows the current sound quality on the ET44:
/>
Also, upon further review all three CSX numbers have the incorrect square exhaust. This is simply unacceptable for something under the “Rivet Counter” brand. :facepalm:

Thanks for the video. It's always hard to assess this through the computer but the bell sounds pretty crisp and the horn not too bad. It seems very different from the first run with the slapped in speaker without an enclosure.

Is it possible to pop the fuel tank off to see what the speaker installation looks like?
Bill McBride

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +582
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2023, 06:19:27 PM »
I'm just curious, are you wanting to buy one and if there is no sound enclosure it would be a deal breaker?
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +866
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2023, 06:33:16 PM »
I'm just curious, are you wanting to buy one and if there is no sound enclosure it would be a deal breaker?

If an enclosure could not be easily added, it would be a deal breaker for me on purchasing a sound unit. I would opt for a DCC-ready version and do my own sound install.

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +582
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2023, 07:31:52 PM »
If an enclosure could not be easily added, it would be a deal breaker for me on purchasing a sound unit. I would opt for a DCC-ready version and do my own sound install.

I highly doubt they've retooled the frame so there is a cavity in the fuel tank for the speaker. That's where they put an 11x15 cell phone speaker with NO enclosure. It is possible to make that cavity into a sealed unit with a little styrene and silicone sealant.

"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

wmcbride

• Crew
  • Respect: +79
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2023, 09:28:48 PM »

I was slightly interested in buying one because I need another engine like a hole in the head but I was attracted to the BC Rail unit.

I just wanted to know if anything had changed from the first run where I had to build an enclosure.
Bill McBride