Author Topic: Fun (?) With a Z Scale MT F-7  (Read 1381 times)

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +65
Fun (?) With a Z Scale MT F-7
« on: August 09, 2015, 09:36:40 PM »
OK, so I picked up one of these, quite by mistake; (thought it was N).  Now that I have it, I thought I would mess around a bit with it, just to see if I could get it to function.

The drive train will work, if leads are touched to the brush covers, but it will not work from wheel pick-up. I've had it apart: it's a relatively simple set-up with 4 "fingers" to run current from the trucks to the frame, and on to the motor.

These "fingers" are REALLY small, and I would think, quite delicate, so my question is: what would be the best (safest) way to clean everything to it will work "as advertised"?

As always, my thanks in advance.

Mark in Oregon

PS: The body shell is ruined: anyone out there have a spare they'd be willing to part with?

« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:12:23 PM by strummer »

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
Re: Fun (?) With a Z Scale MT F-7
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 11:39:00 PM »
If no one here has a shell you might check with MTL directly but be sure to be sitting down when you get the price. :o
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5631
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 11:46:02 PM »
My reccollection is that the frame wipers need to all be equal pressure to keep the chassis from wobbling down the track.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1409
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 12:10:26 AM »
Interesting.  I can't help you, especially if this is a newer model, as both of mine are the original version with metal truck gears.  They sound like the proverbial coffee grinder, but are probably my most reliable Z scale mechanisms.  They're both under Nn3 boxcabs, and while the new MT SD40-2s work better on dirty track, due to the flywheels, the Fs never seem to need cleaning, and don't get ballast in their gears.
N Kalanaga
Be well

strummer

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 12:55:54 AM »
Mine shows metal gears, so it must be an older model.

Planning on doing a complete disassemble and cleaning tomorrow after work...while keeping my fingers crossed I don't muck things up...

Mark in Oregon

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 09:12:03 AM »
Mark,
  You could try PMing Shipsure (Alias Joe D'Amato).He may just have the shell you need for a lot less than MTL (he does work there  :D )
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

strummer

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 10:39:56 AM »
An instruction sheet for this loco would be handy; does anyone have a copy they'd be willing to send as an attachment?

I checked the MT website, and although they offer a lot of "stuff", unlike the Atlas or Kato sites they are sorely lacking in this type of literature, I'm afraid...

Mark in Oregon

strummer

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 04:53:52 PM »
If no one here has a shell you might check with MTL directly but be sure to be sitting down when you get the price. :o

NO KIDDING!!! I have yet to hear back from MT, and it seems no one (online) has any in stock at this time, but when they are available, they run anywhere from $50-$70!

Gawd, I just recently picked up an AB (powered) set of Kato F3's for about that figure. I see now why the thread about the future of Z scale often has mentioned the price being a factor, although I had no idea... :o

Mark in Oregon

strummer

• Crew
Re: Fun (?) With a Z Scale MT F-7: Update.
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 04:44:51 PM »
I just got in an oval of MT track, as I figured this little guy would run better on track, and not on its back with only me holding wires to the wheels.

As I suspected it actually runs quite nicely on the track, and not as loud as I would have thought (or was lead to believe in reading some online comments).

Unfortunately, my only power sources are all pulse-equipped, and when I (briefly) tried those, the slight "buzzing" the loco gave off (not to mention the minor puff of smoke) has lead me to think that these little models are VERY sensitive to that type of power pack. So for now I'm stuck just hooking up a 9 volt battery (which is really putting out 8 ) to watch it run, which it appears to do very well.

I suppose all this means that if I want to pursue this further, I must purchase a Z-friendly power pack. Any suggestions?

Mark in Oregon
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 05:03:11 PM by strummer »

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5631
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 04:55:54 PM »
I have the $28 one here:
http://www.zscalemonster.com/rokuhan/accessories/
It can run off batteries, but I use a cheap AC power cord on mine.

The little red thing on the dial is a stop in case you have certain locos that only needs say 3volts you can set the stop there if you want.

strummer

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 05:01:59 PM »
That looks pretty cool, thanks.

Ordered one today; shall see how it works...

Mark in Oregon
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 05:32:34 PM by strummer »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5130
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Fun (?) With a Z Scale MT F-7: Update.
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 05:28:10 PM »

I suppose all this means that if I want to pursue this further, I must purchase a Z-friendly power pack. Any suggestions?

Mark in Oregon

This might work for you: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=36300.0
. . . 42 . . .

strummer

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 05:50:39 PM »
That is a neat item (thanks Peteski) but I don't have a PayPal account, so I guess I'm SOL there....

Doesn't MRC (or someone) offer a Z-friendly pack of some sort?

Mark in Oregon