Author Topic: Cleaning solder out of needle files?  (Read 3863 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5130
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Cleaning solder out of needle files?
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2015, 01:44:36 PM »
Just spitballing here.  Anyone tried desoldering braid? 

Heating files with torch to the solder meltpoint and drag braid across their face?  The braid should suck up the liquid solder.  Of course with that much extra, you'd be trimming the wick frequently. 

I don't think there is any need for using solder wick (which is usually only around 1/8" wide) when Chris already mentioned heating up the file (with a lighter?) then brushing the liquified solder with a steel brush.  Solder doesn't stick to steel very well so that method is probably pretty good and inexpensive. 

But solder is not the only metal plugging up file grooves. Aluminum does too. It will not melt as easily as solder and even if memted, solder wick won't absorb it.

Like you, I am content with the mechanical methods (wire brush and occasional groove cleaning with a knife) for cleaning my files.
. . . 42 . . .

nscaleSPF2

• Crew
  • knowwhatimean?
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2015, 06:10:14 PM »
My previous post did not describe the process very well, so here are some photos.

On the left is a new nail, on the right is one that has its head hammered flat.

This file has solder in the grooves.  I am pushing the nail in the same direction as the grooves.

The process forms tiny teeth in the end of the nail.

The process becomes more effective, the more that you scrape.  You get more and better defined teeth on the nail.  Also works just as well on aluminum, glue, etc.
Jim Hale

Trying to re-create a part of south-central Pennsylvania in 1956, one small bit at a time.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1409
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2015, 01:05:20 AM »
Peteski:  Those were my thoughts as well, but it MIGHT work, and won't hurt anything except the saw. 

I'll stick with my knife blade, especially since I've only cleaned the files a few times in the last 40 years.  It doesn't take that long, and isn't hard work.
N Kalanaga
Be well

havingfuntoo

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2015, 07:16:57 PM »
I clean the Aluminium out of my needle files by soaking them in warm to hot caustic, (not acid because it attacks the file). Oven cleaners and drain cleaners are often made out of caustic. Be careful if you are using this stuff when mixing the powder into water, a lot of heat is generated in the reaction.     

Doug G.

• Crew
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2015, 07:30:59 PM »
I just get most of it off with a brass brush or even an old toothbrush and the rest with a needle or pin. It all ends up out of there.

Doug
Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1718
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2015, 09:41:56 PM »
If your solder has any lead in it, you might want to wear some nitrile gloves when filing or cleaning (and clean up the filings too).

Ed