Author Topic: Cascade Sub for Sale  (Read 3047 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2405
Re: Cascade Sub for Sale
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 09:10:38 AM »
Stand corrected on the ties, then. The incidental light angle and depth of field issues on a couple of shots blurred the ties to make them look light gray to me.

... I wonder if he would entertain offers for sections of the layout? ...

That is how I would have to incorporate it, anyway - as unmarried sections. F'rinstance, I basically could only recover the peninsulas, lopping off pretty much every curve. (I am, however, sympathetic to the original space constraints. That's a lot of railroad in the space.) That would mean the loss of significant amounts of nice scenery work. Then, even Robyn protested about the narrowness of the aisles just from the plan. She didn't see the picture of the operating session with everybody crammed in there like so many circus clowns in an old Fiat. That's easy enough to fix, though.

This is a nice layout. I hope somebody maybe a little closer can take advantage of all the work. Somebody mentioned David Popp's layout - that was basically not recoverable as something else, the value was in the scenery, and the locale was über-specific. But it was not easily adapted without stripping off nearly everything. Mark's layout is more flexible to locale, and can be used as a basis for nearly anything in the Northwest.

It's not like I'm trying to talk myself out of it or anything... like we've said, the logistics for anything other than a local move are prohibitive. But like the prospects of winning the lottery, it's fun to think about.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6800
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 10:18:08 AM »
It could be a phenomenal deal for a model railroad club, perhaps.  The group might have the resources to not only purchase the layout but also transport, provide a home, and rebuild the layout, not to mention operate a layout designed for several operators.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +744
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 12:25:11 PM »
The sad reality is that most large home layouts are not fungible. Heck, it's hard work to sell even a module and get your money out of it. Be interesting to see if the eBay era helps with finding a buyer. If he does, I wonder how hard it will be to reassemble and return the layout to operating form. Seems the gremlins find a way in when a layout is moved, and not being familiar with how the pieces were originally constructed makes maintenance and repair harder than you would think. But with Mark's build quality those may not become issues other than whatever a drive somewhere in a U-Haul does to the delicates.

I enjoyed looking at Mark's website and threads on LDSIG pages that were loaded with photos. A shame he doesn't get the time to weather and detail rolling stock and buildings to complete the look. Finding his layout online led me to reassess Oregon as an option for modeling. I hope the webpages stay up.

He states on the webpage that grades were eliminated for operational reliability with truck mounted couplers. Hard to argue that, but I know my experience has been that grades add a sense of work being done like nothing else on a railroad can.
Peter Pfotenhauer

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 12:31:47 PM »
It was built domino style so in theory it should be able to be disassembled and reassembled pretty well,

Phil
- Phil

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1961
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 03:30:58 PM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

One of my favorite pics I took on the Cascade Sub.
Otto K.

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 12:34:31 PM »
You know,, could back date it to the 70's and use Milwaukee Road power,, hmm. 

Awesome layout,, I am sure the next one he builds will be great as well.

Y-it

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +546
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2015, 03:22:06 PM »
I wish I had the money and space......
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)