Author Topic: What's this? Express Box Car Question.  (Read 1108 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1202
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
What's this? Express Box Car Question.
« on: November 05, 2013, 02:33:46 AM »
I'm trying to gather all the parts I need for a CMO Express box car (hence my quest for Athearn Express trucks) and I'm wondering if someone can specifically identify one of the under body parts.

In the bottom picture in the link below, in between the brake reservoir and cylinder is a silver/grey part that I assume works with the steam lines.

http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/gallery/boxauto/cnw72710main.html

All my books are packed at the moment so I not able to look through them.  Anyone know off hand what I should be looking for?  Is there a part off a passenger car I might be able to use?

Thanks,

Jason

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1413
Re: What's this? Express Box Car Question.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 01:51:01 AM »
I doubt that it had anything to do with the steam lines, as they would probably go straight through on an unheated car. 

Some railroads used electro-pneumatic brakes on their passenger trains, where the brake applications were electrically controlled rather by the brake pipe pressure.  This could be a control valve for that.  When in freight service, or on a passenger train with standard air brakes, the valve didn't do anything, and the regular triple valve controlled the brakes.
N Kalanaga
Be well

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 02:20:59 AM »
I will look into that, thanks.

I'm also looking into maybe something with the under frame.  The sill tabs changed from the original car so I think there's a new frame but I can't find any info yet.

Jason
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 02:31:51 AM by wcfn100 »

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 02:39:40 PM »
For those that haven't been able to sleep, I hit up the STMFC list and got some more input.

It looks like I'm dealing with some sort of passenger car type control valve (probably not electric) which I assume replaces the regular AB valve.  Pictures from the other side of the car show a larger main reservoir in addition to the normal one which would require some sort of additional control.  There's also a few other types of control valves used on passenger cars that freight cars don't normally have.

Also, in regards to the sill tabs, sort of a duh moment.  The cross bracing on the under frame was most likely moved in order to accommodate the longer wheelbase truck.

When I get access to my books again, I'll do a search.  Until then, if any of you passenger car experts have a guess to what type of valve this might be, that would be much appreciated.

Jason

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1413
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 12:44:25 AM »
Well, looks like I was half right.  Not bad for a pure guess...  Thank you for the answer!
N Kalanaga
Be well

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 01:11:47 AM »
And the winner is.

This is an LN passenger brake system.  The N is the cylinder and the L is the triple valve hanging off the front.

Thanks to all especially Tom Christensen from the STMFC group for pointing me to RMJ Sept 2003 which is one of the Magazines on Trainlife.com.

Who has the time to worry about track?  :P

Jason

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5632
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 01:15:12 AM »
Well yeah that what I thought it was...